ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

Jazz hands!

this method is Kosher. I thought we already established that.
    Luckily, so is Turducken. Just not Turduckbacken.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      Paging "Dr." Sports Juster. OK, so I decided to give the barefoot thing a try today, but on my elliptical machine(I don't have a treadmill). I also went for a 2.5 mile walk at maybe 45-60 sec off max walking pace. I was able to hold an 11:30 pace while maintaining a somewhat comfortable form. When I walked at maximum speed (about 10:40 min pace) it seemed entirely unnatural and wrong, with much greater impact then running easy would cause. MTA I could not get my HR above 126 on flat ground) My conclusion: There may be some merit to barefoot walking (or ellipticaling) and to give credit where it is due, I didn't think of it. Perhaps after feet are accustomed and strengthened I would try minimalistic shoes on a soft track, for a very short distance, as strength training for the feet, but never as a means to an end. It can't hurt to strengthen the muscles of the feet, It also does not seem to be the holy grail of running, anymore than say rock climbing) So, all jesting aside, (see what I did there) there may be a few pea size nuggets of wisdom buried beneath the Mt Everest size pile of bullshit. No meat for you, but you can have a bone. MTA to fix max walking pace 10:40 not 10:00
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just back from the hospital. I went out running in my Nike Frees today. I kept my HR at 127 and was about two miles in when I stepped on a piece of glass. Sucker sliced right through the "shoes". I spent the next 3 hours in the operating room getting the fragments removed. Some 42 stitches and 3 pints of blood later, I made it home. I think the shards ruptured two bones and a tendon. Good thing I wasn't wearing real shoes; it could have been far worse.

#artbydmcbride

{{{{Trent's sliced up imaginary foot}}}}

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey Kenny, Thanks for giving the barefoot aspects a try. I truly do appreciate it. So my question is to what model you use? There are a number of factors to optimize your workout, so that info would help. thought this piece might help http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/08/68474?currentPage=1 http://peakrunningperformance.com/docs/free_to_run.htm

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

A Saucy Wench

{{{{Trent's sliced up imaginary foot}}}}
              Is that kind of like a 3rd foot?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Just back from the hospital. I went out running in my Nike Frees today. I kept my HR at 127 and was about two miles in when I stepped on a piece of glass. Sucker sliced right through the "shoes". I spent the next 3 hours in the operating room getting the fragments removed. Some 42 stitches and 3 pints of blood later, I made it home. I think the shards ruptured two bones and a tendon. Good thing I wasn't wearing real shoes; it could have been far worse.
                Yeah, I really hope this is a joke in the spirit of the thread....I've got a pal who had to DNF the Olympic Trials because he injured his foot on a piece of glass only weeks before and put it through his arch. Y'all ever notice how these know-it-alls who claim their experience in research means they can tell us all we need to know to be perfect runners never run any appreciable amount themselves?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

My "credentials" include one world record holder for his sport following my training, as well as having set a world record for my own sport. And documented in ability to walk at 9MPH... And one of the participants of this forum took my advice and took sixth place in the Empire State Building Climbing challenge. As well as my research work supervised by Nike's Sports Research Lab...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Which is all fine. But this IS a running message board. Why are you here? Be specific.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'm here to share the work I conducted under Nike's supervision. My work was internal for them, and yes it was for the Nike Frees, but focused upon my work in foot biomechanics, not in shoe development. Yes I can walk at 9MPH, but most important, is that I walk with absolutely no ground impact forces when I walk, and run with an impact force of 70% of my bodyweight, not 400% of one's bodyweight. The benefit; running more efficiently, faster if you want, further if you want, and double the life of your shoes which will save you money. And giving you a different perspective to what causes the injuries runners face. The best runners in the world are Kenyans, however what isn't acknowledged is that they don't run like we do because they don't walk like we do. They walk more efficiently and they take that factor into faster running. I'm just the first person in history to be able to duplicate their walking skills.

12-week layoff

What is your sport? Does not seem to be running.
                        xor

Ah. So you are light in your loafers. Got it. I am sincerely impressed at being able to walk 9 mph. Cool. I think I'd rather run at my 7.8 though.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'm primarily a researcher. My world record is in rowing. Which means my cardio output is 2,400 calories per hour. Running is only in the 700's. So running is an easy workout for me. I'm also working with a test group of the United States Army testing my walking and running techniques for running with 116lbs of equipment. My other world record holder is an endurance speed skater having skated 315 miles in 24Hrs. the question to running VS walking is that at any speed I can walk that you have to run, you're requiring a greater energy output to accomplish the same speed I am. If the competition is distance, as in ultramarathon runners, running efficiency is far more important than speed. 100 mile races are won with an average of 4MPH.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Could you tell us your name?
                                I My other world record holder is an endurance speed skater having skated 315 miles in 24Hrs. .
                                Sandy Snakenburg? Naked skater?