ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sandy Snakenburg? Naked skater?
    Shoot, I should have looked myself! Cool.
    sport jester

Biomimeticist

http://www.fasst.com/world-records.htm Yes, but setting a world record, his photo shows his posture is radically different My name is Robert

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Your middle name is Sandy?
        sport jester

Biomimeticist

No, but what you'll notice to Sandy is that there's no arm swing in his posture. His arms are held tight against his torso. Skating was the first sport I worked with as the counterbalance arm swing at 40MPH is phenomenal drag and wastes a huge amout of energy to overcome. So my solution was to figure out how to get rid of it. The same principles of balace are what I apply to efficient walking and running.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Jazz hands!

I'm here to share the work I conducted under Nike's supervision. My work was internal for them, and yes it was for the Nike Frees, but focused upon my work in foot biomechanics, not in shoe development. Yes I can walk at 9MPH, but most important, is that I walk with absolutely no ground impact forces when I walk, and run with an impact force of 70% of my bodyweight, not 400% of one's bodyweight. The benefit; running more efficiently, faster if you want, further if you want, and double the life of your shoes which will save you money. And giving you a different perspective to what causes the injuries runners face. The best runners in the world are Kenyans, however what isn't acknowledged is that they don't run like we do because they don't walk like we do. They walk more efficiently and they take that factor into faster running. I'm just the first person in history to be able to duplicate their walking skills.
            Forgive me for not really believing you but, um, I don't believe you. A little while back we had a long discussion about running vs. walking speed here, in which the point is made that humans switch from walking to running at the speed that running becomes more efficient. I realize "A guy said it on the internet" doesn't make it true, but this particular guy did at least cite a source. (Not that I can check the source.) Why would we have a running speed at all if it weren't more efficient? Also: a speed YOU can walk at is not necessarily more efficient for ME. You can't have no "ground impact forces" when you walk. When you put your foot on the ground you exert a force. That is physics. Also, since F=ma (yeah I paid attention in high school), then it's physically impossible to land on the ground with the impact of "70%" of your bodyweight. Finally, in BOTH of the articles you cited, they SPECIFICALLY SAID that the "special walk" only applied to well-practiced women who were carrying things on their head at the time. Not walking all the time! Not running all the time! Agh!
            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, I'll throw you this (pardon its resource to zoom) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8231761?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed Humans have a series of choices, dependent upon how efficiently we walk. If one's walking biomechanics is inefficient, then one's need to transition into running is determined by skeletal efficiency demands, not strictly energy consumption needs. Some of what you've read has a lot of myth generations. And yes the women of Kenya carry the weight and can't do it without the weight. I only wanted to figure out the physics behind it and that took me three years to perfect. It was first tested with firefighters and a test group could carry 60lbs of equipment with no heart rate increase over walking only in running shorts and shirts. The weight load efficiency of the women is what I translated into a 20% running efficiency improvement. As westerners, our biomechanics (as noted) can't do it. Its a princple of physics and balance that allows them to do so. The foundation is that I walk heel to heel in sequence. As I don't push myself up, the full bodyweight is transferred with no impact because my load bearing foot doesn't lift until my lead step is firmly in place. No lift, no downward forces to measure.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why don't you knock off a couple of Kouros' records to prove you're not blowing gas -- how about the Spartathlon -- surely that's long enough for your "ultra" -- you don't have to get the fastest Spartathlon time ever -- get one of the two or three fastest Spartathlon times ever -- surely that would start to carry some credibility - who agrees with me?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sounds fair to me.

Jazz hands!

The foundation is that I walk heel to heel in sequence. As I don't push myself up, the full bodyweight is transferred with no impact because my load bearing foot doesn't lift until my lead step is firmly in place. No lift, no downward forces to measure.
                    Yes. Yes there are. What do you think keeps you from floating off into space? MTA: We should totally go back to just talking about turducken but I feel like this now:
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had bacon after my run this afternoon. Oh it was good. But now you bring up that word again, and I feel I missed out on some ingredients....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

gravity of course keeps your body on the planet. My point is that if your heel doesn't lift from the ground and your lead step is in place, what "impact" is there" Impact is the result of the torso falling after you push your body up. I simply don't push my body up at all. You may need to, but I don't. And that's the biomechanic difference of what the women of Kenya do as well. If they don't push their torso up, then the weight on their heads have no increased energy needs to walk.

Jazz hands!

I had bacon after my run this afternoon. Oh it was good. But now you bring up that word again, and I feel I missed out on some ingredients....
                          I'm trying to think of a non-poultry version of a turkducken and coming up with nothing. We just don't eat other animals whole. Fish maybe. An anchovy inside of a trout inside of a salmon inside of a tuna inside of a shark? Yes?
                          sport jester

Biomimeticist

So tell me how the women do it? If they can walk with the weight load and you can't, then please tell me how they do it since they've been documented in walking efficiency for over three decades and no "expert" in running even has brought up the story let alone explain it?

Jazz hands!

So tell me how the women do it? If they can walk with the weight load and you can't, then please tell me how they do it since they've been documented in walking efficiency for over three decades and no "expert" in running even has brought up the story let alone explain it?
                              You're the one who came into our forum with your nonsense questions about running forces. I don't disbelieve that these women can walk more efficiently. I disbelieve that you know how they do it (and are apparently the only person on the planet who does) and will teach us how to do it while running.
                              sport jester

Biomimeticist

I don't expect you to believe me, but in reality, its fairly easy to learn. Its easiest with a treadmill, and that's how I teach it. As I stated earlier, if you're a surgery patient, I'm sure you could imaging how much more comfortable it would be to walk after an ACL tear. And the advice that I gave KosherDave to his Empire State Building Climb is how I teach it... It worked for him in climbing up the building, so why wouldn' t it work in flat surface running?