ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

12-week layoff

Seriously, has anyone ever tried turducken? It is DELISHIOUS! I'm not sure about adding bacon...seems like overkill. mta: dang iphone. can't type on that thing.

Feeling the growl again

My "credentials" include one world record holder for his sport following my training, as well as having set a world record for my own sport. And documented in ability to walk at 9MPH... And one of the participants of this forum took my advice and took sixth place in the Empire State Building Climbing challenge. As well as my research work supervised by Nike's Sports Research Lab...
      Well if you're so qualified quit being cryptic and spit it out. What was "his sport"? Was it Usain Bolt in the 100m or Bekele in the 10,000m? Perhaps Gebreselaise in the marathon? What sport are you talking about? This is a RUNNING website so let's hear it.... What is "your sport?" Are you Bolt, Bekele, or Geb under s pseudonym? Or is tournament bridge now an athletic sport? Cricket, perhaps? Joggling? 9mph walk, great. Again, this is a RUNNING website. Who cares how fast you can move when purposely handicapping yourself by keeping a foot on the ground? That's 6:42 a mile, there are a few of us on here who can easily keep that up for 3+ hours for well over a marathon distance if we want to. Now how long/far was it you CONSTANTLY held that 9mph? And how does WALKING at 9mph mean you know anything about RUNNING?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

biomechanics is easy, if you change the way you move, you can only move one of two ways, more or less efficient. If spending a couple of minutes trying something new, offers a radical difference, why wouldn't you try it? If you're going to call me crazy, trust me; get in line... I've been spit on, screamed at, called a moron, retard, jackass, nutcase, lunatic, F***ing maggot, and my personal favorite "ruining the minds of young runners." But in my track testing for Nike, one of my students was able to set five new PR's in a span of only seven meets over his previous season. Calling me crazy is easy. However nobody yet has been able to prove me crazy. Up to and including the top people in the world of sports...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Once again, Sandy Snakenberg http://www.fasst.com/world-records.htm Well I can tell you that its much easier to walk uphill than it is to try and run uphill. While peak running speed is open to individual ability, your efficiency as a runner is proven by how fast you can walk. If I can teach you how to walk 20% faster, then running 20% faster is easy. The average human transitions from walking to running between 3 and 4MPH. And the biomechanic skills to be an efficient walker are foundation to being a more efficient runner

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

4 mph is still walking.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Learn to activate your links.
              sport jester

Biomimeticist

The limits you have to high speed walking, are the same limits you have to higher speed running. Running is nothing more than power applied to walking: http://www.me.utexas.edu/~neptune/Papers/job39(11) That's the foundation to Kenyan's domination of distance running. But if you can learn to overcome your own natural limits to how fast you walk, then transitioning into faster speeds is easy. One of my favorite students was a gentleman who ran 25-35 miles per week, and raced half marathons regularly. He was able to increase his peak running speed by 27%...

The limits you have to high speed walking, are the same limits you have to higher speed running. Running is nothing more than power applied to walking: http://www.me.utexas.edu/~neptune/Papers/job39(11).pdf That's the foundation to Kenyan's domination of distance running. But if you can learn to overcome your own natural limits to how fast you walk, then transitioning into faster speeds is easy. One of my favorite students was a gentleman who ran 25-35 miles per week, and raced half marathons regularly. He was able to increase his peak running speed by 27%...
                  Did he increase his mileage when his speed increased?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The limits you have to high speed walking, are the same limits you have to higher speed running. Running is nothing more than power applied to walking: http://www.me.utexas.edu/~neptune/Papers/job39(11).pdf That's the foundation to Kenyan's domination of distance running. But if you can learn to overcome your own natural limits to how fast you walk, then transitioning into faster speeds is easy. One of my favorite students was a gentleman who ran 25-35 miles per week, and raced half marathons regularly. He was able to increase his peak running speed by 27%...
                    I said, "Learn to activate your links."
                    sport jester

Biomimeticist

I apologize, I don't know how to do it....

xor

Well I can tell you that its much easier to walk uphill than it is to try and run uphill.
                        It is also easier to walk on a flat surface than run on a flat surface. Downhill, I'm not sure. Anyway, running up hills is fun. Activate links by putting the a tag around them. Or simply utilize the little icon that looks like a tiny globe with a chain link in front of it... the icon is above the Message box when you are writing a post. 1. Put the thing you want to link in your message. 2. Highlight it. 3. Click the icon. 4. Magic happens. (not really, it merely automatically adds the a tag for you)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

learn something new every day Smile

Calling me crazy is easy. However nobody yet has been able to prove me crazy. Up to and including the top people in the world of sports...
                            As a scientist, surely you're familiar with Karl Popper and the notion that a theory can never be proven, only disconfirmed. I would say the ball is firmly in your court in that regard. You're right, it is easy...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

sport jester

Biomimeticist

you're right, theories might only be disproved, however the women of Kenya have "proved" my theories thousands of years before you filled your first diaper. http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm so explain how the women do it, and you can disprove me easily... Tell me how these women can carry 20% of their bodyweight with no energy expenditure increase..

But if you can learn to overcome your own natural limits to how fast you walk, then transitioning into faster speeds is easy. One of my favorite students was a gentleman who ran 25-35 miles per week, and raced half marathons regularly. He was able to increase his peak running speed by 27%...
                                Did he increase his mileage when his speed increased?