Do I race so soon after Marathon, or do I incorporate a race into my LR as a tempo?? (Read 634 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I happen to be in Lewes, DE this weekend, and I've been wanting to really race something since my Marathon. There happens to be a 5 miler (the Masser 5 miler) about a mile from where we have our house. I need some thoughts on the best plan-- Option 1:I was thinking do a 4 mile warmup, do a 5 mile "tempo", then go easy for the mile back to the house. Option 2: Do I go for the easy mile or two warmup, race like all hell, and call my housemates if I need a ride and can't finish the 10? Option 3: I do 10 on Saturday and truly race on Sunday. Note: I feel 100% recovered from my marathon. I'm still mad and want to beat the hell out of something. Its a guaranteed PR as it is my first shot at this distance.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's only 5 miles. Race.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prince of Fatness

As I recall you are a month or so removed from the marathon, right? Plenty of time. I'm with Globule, have some fun and race it.

Not at it at all. 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I trust both of your thoughts, so I'll do the 10 on Saturday and race the hell out of it on Sunday. Thanks!

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

It has been two weeks since the Lincoln Marathon....three weeks by the time of the 5-mile race? Some people recover sufficiently from a marathon that soon to race short distances well. Others need longer before they are ready to race any distance again. The only way to learn about yourself is to experiment. It sounds like you have a 10-mile run scheduled for next weekend. I would race the 5 mile race and skip the 10-miler. An easy 3-4 miles Saturday would be OK if you normally run short and easy the day before a race, but I prefer an off day before a race of any distance. For my personal experiences on this subject, see Racing After A Marathon.
              If the last race you did was a marathon (26.2 miles), then you probably don't need to be so worried about missing a 10 mile long run this weekend. I agree with the thought that you should take it easy surrounding the race and then just go out there and dominate. You can always do a long run a few days later.

Prince of Fatness

Lazy me, I should have just looked at your log instead of just guessing. 3 weeks out should still be OK, especially if you say you feel fine. But I agree with Jim2, you may be better off with just a half hour or so easy on Saturday. With your warm up and cool down you should get close to 10 miles on Sunday, anyway.

Not at it at all. 

Cool, another RA'er doing the 5-miler. Smile I'm not good on the running advice thing, but good luck in the race. Might even get a chance to see you there.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm probably going to jog several miles over to the start of it (although I don't know where it starts -- in front, I guess, b/c I hear it loops Gills Neck), so that commits me to at least the same length warmdown. I say you should lead an impromptu group run afterward Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

pitrunner

I say you should lead an impromptu group run afterward Smile
                      I'd be up for that! I'll be nearby as well Big grin
                      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I say you should lead an impromptu group run afterward Smile
                        Good idea. Smile Shame most people's easy paces are my race pace, but if people are aound, I'll always run more. Lots of RAers seem to be doing this one, so hope to see some of you there.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

impromptu run after is a good idea I keep forgetting that is a holiday weekend and will need to make sure that I leave a little extra early to get there on time. Thousands will be on Route 1 headed that way.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I keep forgetting that is a holiday weekend and will need to make sure that I leave a little extra early to get there on time. Thousands will be on Route 1 headed that way.
                            Thanks for the reminder. I'm staying just up Route 1, and I forget the road will get busy. BTW-- if anyone sees an idiot in an bright orange top, black compression shorts, and light blue hat, it's probably me. I'll be at the back of the pack. Run away in fear. Wink

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Bright orange should be easy to spot. Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey we should all wear bright orange. Cept I don't have any. And I don't even have orange spray paint to custom make some bright orange shirt...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.