What critters commonly share your running routes? (Read 930 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wingz

Professional Noob

Flying Monkeys. Really. Click here or here
    LOL! Sounds like a dangerous place to run!

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

We have a lot of Canada geese around here too. I don't know how good I'd be at chasing one, either. Half the time I'm afraid they're going to start chasing ME!!! Especially when they have young ones, they're very aggressive around here. Come within 15 feet and they'll start hissing and coming after you...
      Great topic! YES! We have lots of geese on the shore of Lake Michigan and I'm pretty careful around those bastards! They are big, dumb, and really pretty nasty! Still, I have to remember that they were probably here first.. Otherwise, Chicago has a bumper crop of rabbits this year (even downtown) and there's your occasional rat. Lovely. Oh, and do tourists count? We have a ton of those... they're kind of like the geese (big and dumb) but not so nasty. I was running in the Black Hills of SD a few years ago and was chased by a cow (female). She was just curious, I think, as to what strange person was trotting along her cow-path.. probably wouldn't have hurt me at all.. but those things are HUGE and I wasn't about to find out! Big grin
        Great topic! I was running in the Black Hills of SD a few years ago and was chased by a cow (female). She was just curious, I think, as to what strange person was trotting along her cow-path.. probably wouldn't have hurt me at all.. but those things are HUGE and I wasn't about to find out! Big grin
        So I take it going to Spain and running with the bulls is out?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

goat

Finder of good newts

More deer than you can shake a stick at... pelitons of Pelicans and tourists. There are tourists everywhere. They can't seem to understand I'm actually doing something. "look at the native" Of recent note: A bobcat, a mountain lion, a rattlesnake.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

Morning Doves, Blue Harons, Rat Snakes, Opossums, Deer, Whitetailed, Dogs, 'coons. Red Fox and the occaisonal skunk. and haven't even left the property!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

I saw an abosultely gorgous velvty black butterfly with irridescent violet on the edges of his wings today...

Roads were made for journeys...

Wings the butterflys are everywhere this year. I have never seen so many! Well this morning I was grawled at by a 'coon and later charged by a skunk with tail high and straight! Actually I think the skunk was just running to reach a water culvert to hide, and the nearest one was in my direction!

Well this time of year you may see some black bears on the trails i run but none this year, which is a good thing but they have left a few droppings around to tell me they are here. Lots of canada geese, beaver in the river and lots of two legged critters but no flying monkeys, guess they have headed south for the winter already...Hey Zoom always come up with great topics. Smile

Prophet!

sunburned tourists...
                      I hardly see any alive animals, and I live in the less urban areas. I have to run from the occasional dog that gets loose or I have to hear all kinds of critters rumbling around in the woods, but rarely do I see any animals. Based on reading some of the other posts, its probably because I am not looking for them that much; probably more concentrating on my run and hoping that I finish. But, there are plenty of dead animals. I hate these in the early morning hours... I feel like I want to puke after coming across some road kill.
                      JakeKnight

The usual suspects: turkeys and deer and snakes and owls and the occasional lawyer. And dogs. Lots of dogs. One named Cujo. Well, that may or may not be his name. But it's what I call him. The little !@#$%. But today was a new one: on my first ever legitimate trail run, up in the woods running (I use the term "running" loosely here) over boulders and tree stumps and poison ivy and the bodies of runners unable to make it back to civilization, and I come across a big sign stuck in the ground. All in big capital letters, right next to the trail: WARNING. YELLOW JACKETS. DO NOT DISTURB. Above the aforementioned sign is a cloud of angry insects buzzing loudly enough to be heard over my iPod. I ran fast. Very fast. Bad critters. I prefer the snakes. You definitely had to admire their marketing, though. None of the other critters get signs.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Ahhhh....the excitement & scenery of backroad running... I see whitetail deer, beef cows, dairy cows, sheep, goats, horses, donkeys, swans (equally as nasty as the geese), ducks, geese, other birds of many sizes, shapes & colors, fox, coyotes, snakes (of the non-poisonous variety, or at least that is what I tell myself if I don't know what they are), rabbits, dogs, cats, beaver, muskrat, woodchuck, and yes, yellowjackets! Personally, I'm more scared of the yellowjackets than anything else. Stems from a bad incident involving a pair of large pruning shears & a ground nest of the nasty little suckers. Turns out, they WILL chase you in to a garage & into the house. Also turns out they aren't shy & have no issue with flying down shirts & pants!!! Also turns out that I had no issues with ripping off my bee infested clothing in my front yard while doing this interesting arms & legs flailing, screaming, slapping dance!!
                          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                          JakeKnight

Also turns out they aren't shy & have no issue with flying down shirts & pants!!! Also turns out that I had no issues with ripping off my bee infested clothing in my front yard while doing this interesting arms & legs flailing, screaming, slapping dance!!
                            Big grin Big grin Big grin Bet that was pretty funny! Okay, maybe not funny for you. But I'll bet it was funny for your neigbors. I don't suppose anybody had a video camera handy ...?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Big grin Big grin Big grin Bet that was pretty funny! Okay, maybe not funny for you. But I'll bet it was funny for your neigbors. I don't suppose anybody had a video camera handy ...?
                              That evening & for a few days after...not so funny for me. In retrospect, it had to be quite a funny site! At that time, I lived in a VERY conservative, Christian Reform town that as a general rule, doesn't believe in doing work on Sundays. I, not being of the Reform faith, actually had time to do yard work on Sundays. As usual, I was the ONLY one in the neighborhood outside working & enjoying the weather this fine Sunday evening. Noone came outside with a camera, but the whole neighborhood had windows open due to the nice weather & could certainly here my screaming and, yes, obscene swearing. I mean, come on, does, "ow, ow, crud, ow" really cut it when you have half a nest of yellowjackets in your pants stinging your ass? So, I'm sure I attracted my fair share of attention. Imagine the shock & horror when I started ripping clothing off on the front lawn!! In retrospect, I may not have stripped in front of all my neighbors, but there wasn't alot of conscious, clear thinking going on other than...GET BEES OUT!!! Being the only single mom in the neighborhood, I was generally good entertainment for the neighbors anyways, just thought I should keep up to par!! Big grin Too bad someone didn't have a videocam, it was probably funny enough to have won some cash on one of those morons caught on tape shows!! With, of course, some careful editing when the flailing, screaming strip tease began...
                              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3