Committed Deux -- spring marathon comeback (Read 874 times)

Feeling the growl again

After running 2:39 on very sub-par preparation and a very talented former college teammate going 2:26 on only 80 mpw or less the same day, I think the fire to be competitive again is sufficiently re-stoked to commit to a spring marathon plan. The goal is to go 2:26 or faster. Preliminary race plan: late March - half marathon early May - Indianapolis Mini Marathon late Mate - Bayshore Marathon (Traverse City, MI) This maximizes my preparation time, which will start in earnest in late November (I have not run since Louisville and will resume around Nov 9th). I was not a member here when I was running fast but have shared bits and pieces of what that training was like here and there. In 2005, I was over-trained in the fall and also ran a marathon on sub-par training (2:36, not quite so sub-par). I subsequently resumed serious training in December and despite being over 16 for 5K in January went on to set all of my PRs in March-May of 2006. Given the similarities in timing and situation (Bayshore was also my target for 2006, and I also ran a half marathon late March), I think it would be neat to share not just the training I do to get back in shape this winter, but also show what I did "3 years ago this week in history" for comparison. Since that cannot easily be accomplished in the log I will update it in this thread on a weekly basis. I'm under no illusion that I will be returning to sub-31 10K shape, I can't see myself having THAT much time available. But the comparison will be interesting nonetheless.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Spaniel - looking forward to it! Should make for some interesting and educational reading for a slow noob like me!
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good luck! I'm running Bayshore as well and will be, uh, a few minutes behind you!
          Love it!
            Way to get back at it spaniel, I'm very much looking forward to your posts. Best of luck to you!

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck! It will be fun to follow your progress.
                The goal is to go 2:26 or faster.
                Get 'im spaniel! Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Just make sure you adhere to the principles of power running.
                  obsessor

me too. next fall. not kidding. there are 2 others here with the same goal.

Think Whirled Peas

Very cool, spaniel, and I look forward to following along. You are a BEAST!!!!
                      Good luck! I'm running Bayshore as well and will be, uh, a few minutes behind you!
                      Ditto that. I'll be looking to break 4hrs...not anything NEAR 2:26...BEAST, I say.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

DoppleBock

Well, I was around the other place at the other time ... and I will join you. Although genetically less capacity and so the goal will be less. Like you I had my most success in 2006. My goal marathon will be May 17th at Green Bay WI and my goal is for a 6 minute PR = 2:39 ... so a full 30 seconds per mile slower than you! I believe that you can do it! You will get the most out of your training time and train smart. aka MTP / WI MTP / RunForFun / Flounder

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

OK, time to start this. I'm a little delinquent posting as I started running again (sort of) last week. The plan starts with 2 weeks of just getting the legs used to running again. I'll also report "3 years ago this week", which will show the progression from a 2:36 fall marathon into my peak shape ever (sub-31 10K). M- 6 miles easy on tm 6:58 pace T- AM, 6 miles easy 6:52 pace. PM, 6 miles easy on tm 6:58 pace W - 2 miles easy on tm 6:58 pace R- 6 miles easy on tm 6:58 pace F-off Sa-off Su-off Total for week: 26 miles Three years ago this week: M-off T- 8.5 miles. 2 mile warmup, 4X hills :57, 1:00, 1:03, 1:01 w/3min recovery. Long cooldown. W- 11.5 miles moderately paced 6:22 avg R- 8 miles very easy 6:50 avg F-off Sa-10 miles. 4 mile warmup 6:47 pace, then 4 mile tempo 5:37 avg. 2 mile cooldown 6:59 avg Su- 15 miles mod/easy 6:33 pace Total for week: 53 miles

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Week of 11/17: M- 8 miles easy 6:58 pace T- 8 miles easy on tm 6:42 pace W- 8.25 miles easy/mod 6:33 avg w/last .25 good pickup R- 4 miles on tm 6:42 pace F-10.25 miles easy 6:42 pace w/fast last .25 Sa-off Su-10.25 miles; 1st 8.25 easy 6:37 avg last 2 6:09, 5:48 Total for week: 48.75 miles Three years ago this week: M-off T-off W-off R-10 miles easy/hilly 6:33 pace F-off Sa-off Su-16 miles easy 6:41 pace Total for week: 26 miles

Feeling the growl again

Week of 11/24: M- 8.25 miles easy 6:36 pace T- 8 miles easy on tm 6:42 pace W- 5 miles total on tm w/ 6 hill repeats @ 10 mph 2@12% grade, 2@10% and 2@8% 2min 6mph recoveries R- off F- off Sa - off Su- 2 mile wu, 5Xoverpass repeats, 1.5 miles easy, 5Xoverpass repeats, 2 mile cd for 10.25 miles total Total for week: 32 miles 3 years ago this week: M-11.5 miles easy 6:44 pace T- AM, 2 mile wu 6:53 pace, then 3 mile tempo 5:57 pace. 3 mile cd 6:56 pace for 8 total W - 4 mile w/wife 10min pace, then 6.5 easy 6:51 pace R - off F - AM, 4 w/wife 10:44 pace, then 2@5:51, then 5:35. PM, 2 mile wu 6:58 pace then 4 mile tempo 5:40 avg. Good acceleration, 1st mile 5:48 and last 5:25. 1 mile cd 6:44 pace. Sa - 10 easy 6:40 pace Su - 13.5 miles 6:50, felt crappy Total for week: 67.5 miles

Feeling the growl again

This week I introduced a treadmill hill workout that would become a staple over the coming months to chart my progress (see Tuesday). Week of 12/1: M- off T- On tm; 2 mile wu 6:58, then 10X(1min 10mph@8% / 1min 6mph@2%), 7min rest 6:58 pace, then 3X(1min 10mph@10% / 2min 6mph@2%). 1.25mile cd for 8 total W- 4 easy 6:42 R- 11 easy/mod 6:26 F- 2 mile wu 6:58, 5X(1min 10mph@8% / 1min 6mph@2%), about 2.5 miles 6:42 pace for 5 total Sa- off Su- 13 miles 6:43 avg, felt tired Total for week: 41 miles 3 years ago this week: M- off T- Late AM, 3 mile wu then 6 mile tempo 5:42 avg, felt good, cd for 12.25 total. PM, 7.75 very easy 7:03 avg W- 11.25 easy 6:32 R- AM, 8 miles easy 6:40. PM, 4 miles on tm 2 @ 6:53 then 5:51-5:25 F- off Sa- 6 easy 6:49 Su- 16 overall avg 6:37. 1st half 6:53, so 2nd half 6:21 avg. Total for week: 65.25 miles