Sports Drink Additives--Hype or Danger? (Read 643 times)

It keeps citrus flavoring distributed uniformly throughout the beverage.  Otherwise it would separate out and you'd have an orange/citrus flavor layer floating on top of the rest of the beverage. That's why you typically only find it in the citrus flavored sodas/sports drinks not the rest.

catwhoorg

Labrat

An example of what happens without it  is Orangina.

Shaking a bottle could actually be beyond the typical American consumer

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

sugnim

An example of what happens without it  is Orangina.

Shaking a bottle could actually be beyond the typical American consumer

That stuff is delicious.  

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

gatorade was made for football players all

you skinny runners should not be drinking it anyway.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Strict WTF adherent

There's a lot of this stuff in there as well

http://www.dhmo.org/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It keeps citrus flavoring distributed uniformly throughout the beverage.  Otherwise it would separate out and you'd have an orange/citrus flavor layer floating on top of the rest of the beverage. That's why you typically only find it in the citrus flavored sodas/sports drinks not the rest.

Good to know, though I'm fine with fresh squeezed lemonade and other drinks that may have layers of flavors.  I do like Squirt, though.

Feeling the growl again

[pedant]

The hydrogen in the H-bomb (fusion portion) is actually deuterium (plus some tritium to boost the primary fission deceive) in the form of lithium(6)deuteride

Hydrogen is present in the device , in the explosive lensing, in the wiring, the various polymeric fillers etc, but not in the actual H-bomb core.

[/pedant]

Big grin

Deuterium and tritium are both simply isotopes of hydrogen.  Deuterium is stable; tritium is not.  So, it is all hydrogen.  You can make water with deuterium, ie "heavy water".  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jules2

What's the benefit of putting BVO in those drinks?

So you won't spontaneously combust?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So you won't spontaneously combust?

Seems to me that vegetable oil would combust, but, like gasoline additives, it might raise my octane, i.e. slow down my combustion.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Yeah I was being a smart alec.

But then again I use D and T, which is non-preferred by IUPAC.

D is so different is the properties I'm generally interested in when using it (NMR and neutron scattering), that it is better to think of it as being "not-hydrogen"

I used 99%+ D2O on a routine basis for sample contrast in scattering.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

D is so different is the properties I'm generally interested in when using it (NMR and neutron scattering), that it is better to think of it as being "not-hydrogen"

Wow, your sports drinks give you quite an edge, don't they?

catwhoorg

Labrat

Fusion Powered!

Now only if it was reflected in my race times.

Feeling the growl again

So was I.  Big grin

A neutron makes quite a difference in a tiny atom.  I don't think I've used the stuff since I did NMR and that has been a long time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

sugnim

There is another dangerous element called hydrogen.  Two atoms of this lethal element are found in every molecule of water.  This element is also found in cyanide, LDL cholesterol, and hydrogen bombs.

Stupidity knows no bounds...especially in journalism.

Right.  Hydrogen is not dangerous.  However, when you add extra hydrogen to vegetable oil, you get hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is "trans fat" and is very unhealthy for you.  Could the same be true for brominated vegetable oil?

I don't have an answer, but just wonder what others think.

Feeling the growl again

Right.  Hydrogen is not dangerous.  However, when you add extra hydrogen to vegetable oil, you get hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is "trans fat" and is very unhealthy for you.  Could the same be true for brominated vegetable oil?

I don't have an answer, but just wonder what others think.

The effects of bromination vs hydrogenation on the molecular properties are different.  

My point was that just because an atom of an element is in one compound, does not mean that it is inherently dangerous in another.

Gamma emitting radioisotopes aside.  Wink