2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

Turbolegs

Christi, Larry ... fantastic performances both !! I am sure you guys are proud of your run .. get some well deserved rest now !

Superb stuff once again !!

Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I'm up for this. First marathon was last year when I got 4:20 hopefully should do it next time which is May 19th at White Peaks.

Random question:

On long runs, do you ever throw in strides when you start to get tight?

Do you ever need to do this during a race?

3:46:48 for me at GO! St Louis. I'll write more later, but I agree with Christirei's assessment. The conditions were tough, and the second half of the course was HILLY and HOT! My overall pace was in the 8:39 range and I managed to pull out an 8:39 mile for mile 26. That alone is enough to make we want to try this marathon thing again!

I've had time to think about the race, and I think my biggest mistake was going out too fast (again). I wanted to go under 3:40, so I picked the 3:35 pace group to start with since the next pace group was 3:45. I lost close contact with the pace group at the mile 4 water stop, and while I kept them in site until mile 10 or so, I didn't actually run with them much at all. 3:40 is 8:23 pace, and that's what I should have done from the start. I ended up running most of the race alone anyway. My splits as reported on the course were:

6 mile: 0:49:28 Pace 8:15 min/mile

Half: 1:49:03 Pace 8:19 min/mile

20.3: 2:52:50 Pace 8:38 min/mile

Finish: 3:48:48 Pace 8:39 min/mile

So I lost all of my pace between 13.1 and 20.3 where it was really hilly, but I maintained my overall pace for the last 6 miles. That tells me I didn't hit the wall at the end, and if I had run the first half a little slower, I might have been able to finish closer to 3:40. Funny thing is, the 3:45 pace group (pacer and one runner) passed me at the bottom of the last big hill around mile 24 or so. Live and learn I guess!

Put me down for my first true attempt.  May 6th at the Flying Pig Marathon.

fake it till you make it

Next up at the start line

5-May: Awaldvogel: River Towns (Pennsylvania) : 3:40

6-May: Unlikelyrunner : Colorado Marathon (Colorado)

6-May: TJN : Lacrosse Fitness Marathon (Wisconsin)

6-May: NJPhil: NJ Marathon (NJ)

6-May: Goatrunner: Kalamazoo Marathon : (Michigan) : <3:45

6-May: LedLincoln: Lincoln Marathon: (Nebraska)

6-May: Cfkid: Flying Pig Marathon: (Cinncinnati)

WOW! Lots of runners in taper right now.  How's everyone holding up?  I'm a week behind you all, did my last 22 miler on Friday, too soon to obsess over weather- guess I'll have to find something else to freak out about for a while.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, 6 May is a big day for this group.  I see yours is just a week after that, Jen.

As for me, my tendonitis flared up the day after my last long run Saturday, so I've got that to worry about now.  Let the taper madness begin!

WOW! Lots of runners in taper right now.  How's everyone holding up?  I'm a week behind you all, did my last 22 miler on Friday, too soon to obsess over weather- guess I'll have to find something else to freak out about for a while.

Feeling good at this point, I'm actually glad I hit the taper.  I was starting to burn out a bit on all that running.  I figure even if I don't hit a sub 4, I'm still going to destroy my previous marathon PR of 4:33.

Mark

I have to say, I'm already getting a little antsy.  Last "big workout" today - 8 w/3x1600 @ 5k.

I check the Danville weather about 5 times per day even though there is still no forecast for 5/5.

Is it less nerve-wracking after you've run one?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have to say, I'm already getting a little antsy.  Last "big workout" today - 8 w/3x1600 @ 5k.

I check the Danville weather about 5 times per day even though there is still no forecast for 5/5.

Is it less nerve-wracking after you've run one?

I wouldn't bet on it.  I've been thinking that all my training has been in cool weather, and marathon day is going to be hot and I'm gonna die.  In about a week I'll start getting random phantom pains that indicate that my leg is probably going to fall off.

fake it till you make it

I wouldn't bet on it.  I've been thinking that all my training has been in cool weather, and marathon day is going to be hot and I'm gonna die.  In about a week I'll start getting random phantom pains that indicate that my leg is probably going to fall off.

Glad I'm not in your shoes.  I mean, I certainly wasn't just google-ing long range weather forecasts to see who was predicting weather 18 days from now.  *cough*accuweather*cough*  Clearly taper madness isn't going to get me.Wink

Smile

I've actually timed a couple runs for mid-afternoon on the warmer days to try to acclimate.

I just hope that I will be smart enough on race day to adjust my pace based on the conditions (but I doubt it).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Glad I'm not in your shoes.  I mean, I certainly wasn't just google-ing long range weather forecasts to see who was predicting weather 18 days from now.  *cough*accuweather*cough*  Clearly taper madness isn't going to get me.Wink

Yeah, you'd find my shoes uncomfortably roomy, I imagine. Smile

Good *cough*accuweather*cough* idea.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Sign me up, too. I am now committed to the New Jersey marathon on May 6. Actually, I have been training for this since Jan. 1, but wavering about whether I would actually follow through. I am now paid up, on my taper (uhg!) and not at all obsessed with weather conditions in New Jersey the first week in May (accuweather.com is totally accurate 12 days out, right?).

Almost made sub 4 at NYC -- 4:03, but am hoping to make it this time with a flat course. If only the temperature can stay under 70 -- that is my boiling point. I don't know how everyone survived Boston this year!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have been tapering for this since Jan. 1

I had a great slip of the eye as I skimmed your post.  I want to know your training plan, and how it works out! Smile

Hope you make your sub-4!