2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

So there is a 1/2 marathon (~500 runners) along with the marathon (~100 runners) I am running.

The 1/2 roughly follows the same course as the full but starts 2 hours later.

Since both races are basically out-and-back courses, I believe we will be sharing the last 6.5 miles.

If all goes according to plan (fat chance) I should hit the 1/2 marathon turnaround in time for everyone running the 1/2 in the ~1:30-1:40 range to go blowing past me in the last 6 miles. I'm not sure what they are doing with bibs or otherwise to let you know who is in what race (they may have a good solution) but this might be kind of disheartening after 20+ miles of running. 

I guess if someone comes by @ <8:00 pace I can assume they are running the 1/2?  Maybe if I'm feeling strong I can even get on the shoulder of one of these runners for the last mile or two and get pulled home?  Or maybe I should just spit at them or hurl obscenities?  Or maybe I'll be hurting so bad I won't be aware of anything going on around me?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interesting, Awald.  Kind of a weird plan.

I'm not sure how I'd react in such a case.  Maybe you should wear something on your back that says I'm running the full, so eat dirt.  Maybe they'll be really nice and encouraging to you (but not if you use that wording).  Let us know afterward.

I bet SRL and others have encountered such schemes; hope they chime in.

I wouldn't bet on it.  I've been thinking that all my training has been in cool weather, and marathon day is going to be hot and I'm gonna die.  In about a week I'll start getting random phantom pains that indicate that my leg is probably going to fall off.

I may be crazy, but I'm really looking at this as "I'll run what the training has given me."  Do I really want to run a sub 4?  Yes, I really do.  But, I think I could easily drive myself insane and stress myself out to the point where I don't run well at all.  I'm going to focus on relaxing and allowing my body to recover over these next 11 days.  I guess I'll know how that's working out next Friday or so.

Mark

Turbolegs

I may be crazy, but I'm really looking at this as "I'll run what the training has given me."  Do I really want to run a sub 4?  Yes, I really do.  But, I think I could easily drive myself insane and stress myself out to the point where I don't run well at all.  I'm going to focus on relaxing and allowing my body to recover over these next 11 days.  I guess I'll know how that's working out next Friday or so.

Mark

Hey Mark .. i personally strongly second the notion of not having the sub-4 dagger hang above your head on race day .. just pick it off in chunks and you will get home. It worked for me (and i wasnt even going for sub-4 in the race that i did). Before my Tokyo marathon earlier this feb, my last marathon had been gold coast in July 2011. At that race, i ran with the 4hr pace group until 25kms before i came undone so my goal at the start of the tokyo marathon this year was to hold a 4hr pace for a lil longer, so i made that an arbitrary target of 30kms. And at 30kms, i thought i could do one more km at the same pace etc .. and did that 12 times. Smile

Be relaxed and its better to overkill your taper than to get to the start line with less than fresh legs.

I am super excited for the May 6th weekend .. this is going to be legen .... < wait for it > ........

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

fake it till you make it

Good luck to all of you marathoning this weekend! May the sub-4 force be with you. I look forward to all the race reports to come.
            LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Mark

Absolutely, I want to run it with your attitude.  I hope to get a sub-4, but my best performances have been when I relaxed and ran, not worrying about whether I'm running fast enough for my goal.

The alternative is not pretty:

So, guys, have fun, and it'll all be good! Smile

Thanks! That picture has me completely relaxed now.

No worries at all. No taper madness at all.

The weather is not going to be great on Saturday so my plan has shifted from trying to steal a few seconds below my goal time in each mile, to having my goal time within reach @ mile 20.  If I can't make up 1 minute in the last 6.2 miles then it will be a good thing that I didn't go out any faster.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks! That picture has me completely relaxed now.

No worries at all. No taper madness at all.

The weather is not going to be great on Saturday so my plan has shifted from trying to steal a few seconds below my goal time in each mile, to having my goal time within reach @ mile 20.  If I can't make up 1 minute in the last 6.2 miles then it will be a good thing that I didn't go out any faster.

I knew you'd like the picture.  Yeah, here it may be hot, humid, and rainy.  Oh boy.

MTA:  Oh yeah, did I mention thunderstorms?

Turbolegs

Looks like there is great momentum for massive fun building up right here for the weekend ... have a rocking race guys !!!

If any of your races feature live runner tracking, pipe in with your bib number .... the cheering will get louder via the internet! Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Looks like there is great momentum for massive fun building up right here for the weekend ... have a rocking race guys !!!

If any of your races feature live runner tracking, pipe in with your bib number .... the cheering will get louder via the internet! Smile

Sure, http://www.mtectracking.com/Mtrack?raceid=31, bib #4451.  7:00 am Central.

Turbolegs

Sure, http://www.mtectracking.com/Mtrack?raceid=31, bib #4451.  7:00 am Central.

Fantastic Larry ...  you have atleast 1 supporter from half way around the world shouting it out for you !!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Fantastic Larry ...  you have atleast 1 supporter from half way around the world shouting it out for you !!

So cool, Singapore is watching! Smile

fake it till you make it

Add me to the list of your friendly internet stalkers!
                            LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm starting to feel the pressure!

T-2 hours and counting. Slightly less nervous than last night. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the encouragement in this thread. Now all I have to do is run it Wink