2012 Goal of Sub 4:00 Marathon (Read 4210 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Cussing is a big part of my training & racing technique.  

And I can't join sub-3:30 group, because that would mean I'm considering another marathon and I can't even think about that until I figure out how to walk again. Ouch.

Ha, I swore off marathons last week, too.

My turn next to give this a go on Saturday. I'm going to go with 8:30ish pace and hope to finish between 3:40 - 3:50, though I'd take 3:59:00 if you offered it to me now. I want to get to 10 miles in about 83 mins, and then plough on to the 3 hour mark at around 21 miles, with hopefully enough in my legs left to get round the last 5 or 6 miles at a reasonable pace. If this doesnt work and I run out of steam, I'll rethink for next time.

Turbolegs

My turn next to give this a go on Saturday. I'm going to go with 8:30ish pace and hope to finish between 3:40 - 3:50, though I'd take 3:59:00 if you offered it to me now. I want to get to 10 miles in about 83 mins, and then plough on to the 3 hour mark at around 21 miles, with hopefully enough in my legs left to get round the last 5 or 6 miles at a reasonable pace. If this doesnt work and I run out of steam, I'll rethink for next time.

Jason .. give it your best shot tomorrow. Look forward to hearing all about it.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best of luck, Jason.  

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck Jason!

steph  

yeh! 3:56:18 at White Peaks Marathon in Derbyshire, UK. Not an easy course in my opinion. First 6 miles steady incline rising 100 feet per mile. Started to feel it a little after 5 miles of that but not too bad. I was looking forward to a nice level 14 miles after that, but as one problem goes, another one comes - top of the Peak District and strong either side wind or headwind in the exposed parts, which accounted for most of it. Next thing to look forward to was the downhill bit from 21 miles - and that was very very steep. 800 feet drop in 3 stages of about 1/2 a mile each.I would have preferred it to be just level it was so steep. The course was off-road trials throughout, ok at times, a bit muddy in places, but also stony and rutted in places - I can feel the stones still as I type on the soles of my feet. First aim was to beat my disastrous 4:20 of last year. Second aim to complete sub 4, so I did both of them.I would have preferred 3:45 / 3:50 but I think it was a tough course and think I can do 3:45 on a nice city road event. But I suppose they all have their issues and there's no 'easy' marathon. Beat previous pb by 24 mins - almost 1 min per mile qucker. Pace dropped off over last 4 in particular but then was when I was hitting these steep declines. Not blaming them entirely as I was very tired anyway, but hey! I got the 4:00 goal anyway. I can now aim for 3:45 in the autumn. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

yeh! 3:56:18 at White Peaks Marathon in Derbyshire, UK. Not an easy course in my opinion. First 6 miles steady incline rising 100 feet per mile. Started to feel it a little after 5 miles of that but not too bad. I was looking forward to a nice level 14 miles after that, but as one problem goes, another one comes - top of the Peak District and strong either side wind or headwind in the exposed parts, which accounted for most of it. Next thing to look forward to was the downhill bit from 21 miles - and that was very very steep. 800 feet drop in 3 stages of about 1/2 a mile each.I would have preferred it to be just level it was so steep. The course was off-road trials throughout, ok at times, a bit muddy in places, but also stony and rutted in places - I can feel the stones still as I type on the soles of my feet. First aim was to beat my disastrous 4:20 of last year. Second aim to complete sub 4, so I did both of them.I would have preferred 3:45 / 3:50 but I think it was a tough course and think I can do 3:45 on a nice city road event. But I suppose they all have their issues and there's no 'easy' marathon. Beat previous pb by 24 mins - almost 1 min per mile qucker. Pace dropped off over last 4 in particular but then was when I was hitting these steep declines. Not blaming them entirely as I was very tired anyway, but hey! I got the 4:00 goal anyway. I can now aim for 3:45 in the autumn. 

Congrats. 3:56:18 on a trail should easily get you 3:45 on a flat road course.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations Jason!

steph  

Wing

Joggaholic

Nicely done, congratulations!

fake it till you make it

Congratulations on the sub 4 and the huge PR!

Turbolegs

Andrew, how did it go at the CC marathon?

Having just got under the 4 hours last month, I've now entered Amsterdam on 21st October to see if I can better my time, hopefully will come in under/nearer 3:45 mark

Turbolegs

Having just got under the 4 hours last month, I've now entered Amsterdam on 21st October to see if I can better my time, hopefully will come in under/nearer 3:45 mark

Fantastic man .. have a great training stint between now and October. I plan to run Osaka marathon in end November but havent been running for nearly 2 months now. Need to get back on track. Reason for hiatus being that i am now a proud father of a 5 week old boy.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Jason, and good luck on the next one!

Turbolegs

Its been quite a while since there has been any action on the thread ... no marathons anyone?? Smile

I had just started to get back into running after more than a 2 month hiatus when i sprained my ankle playing badminton and was sidelined for another 10 days .. so while i still feel a small niggle, the leg seems to be holding up more or less ok. Paid my registration fees for Osaka Marathon in Japan, after having got through the ballot so will start to put a training plan together for that (race is Nov 25th). Tokyo marathon (which is usually the last sunday of Feb) will open for registrations soon and i plan to make it 3 in a row. After that, i am toying with the idea of running Comrades next year but thats just a pipe dream at the moment. Smile

Do write in folks .. its been too long without any news from this tribe ..