Hypertension medication and HR suppression? (Read 1243 times)

kcam

I recently (~12/20 or so) resumed taking 25mg of Atenolol for mild hypertension. I had taken it for the past 3 or so years but stopped back in Feb of 2008 when my 'scrip ran out and I was too lazy to go get it renewed. Anyway, I'm back taking it but have noticed a change in my HR since re-starting. I used to train at what was a very easy pace of ~8:30 per mile which would get my HR to the 133 to 140 range which is where I wanted it on easy days. Since I started back on the Atenolol I find it difficult to get my HR back to the 130ish range without going much faster than before. Now at 8:30 pace my HR seems to stick at between 110 and 120. While running at this pace it doesn't 'feel' easy anymore. I'm NOT in better shape so that's not the reason. Do any of you doctors out there believe this could be due to the Atenolol? I will be going back to my family doc the second week of Jan so I will, of course, be talking to him about this. If this is due to the Atenolol is there another medication I can take that doesn't suppress HR? Should I time my HR medication - take it at, say, 9PM so that by my normal 12 noon run it is not so 'strong' in my bloodstream? I currently take it 1/2 pill when I wake up and 1/2 pill at about 6PM (doc didn't suggest this - me in my infinite wisdom thought it would be good). Thanks for reading and any responses.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Atenolol is designed to slow your HR. If you are taking this class of medications, you cannot reliably train by HR.
      kcam

Is there a class of hypertension medication that does not affect the heart's ability to respond to training load that I could ask my doctor about?
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is there a class of hypertension medication that does not affect the heart's ability to respond to training load that I could ask my doctor about?
          It is challenging. Hypertension is not all the same, and different people require different medications. Typically you would start with this class (in some cases) or a diuretic (in other cases, bad for a runner). You may ask about angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. These are typically called by their abbreviated name: ACE inhibitors.
          Roses Revenge

These are typically called by their abbreviated name: ACE inhibitors.
            Hmmm. I've been on Lisinopril for several years. Are there any concerns with ACE Inhibitors? I'm not aware of any running related issues, but I was taking this before I started training three years ago.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hmmm. I've been on Lisinopril for several years. Are there any concerns with ACE Inhibitors? I'm not aware of any running related issues, but I was taking this before I started training three years ago.
              No. I was recommending that the OP ask about these since they are likely very safe in running, unlike beta blockers and diuretics.

Prince of Fatness

No. I was recommending that the OP ask about these since they are likely very safe in running, unlike beta blockers and diuretics.
                Not to hijack, but I take a diuretic (diovan) for HBP. Trent, what is unsafe about this? Dehydration? Electrolytes?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep. Dehydration and electrolytes.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks, Trent. I drink lots of gatorade so I should be covered, right? Wink

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The challenge is this: you take a diuretic to treat your hypertension and the medication works by reducing your body's fluid volume and some electrolytes; by drinking water or gatorade (or most any fluid), you directly oppose the actions of the diuretic and are back to square one. Better to treat hypertension in a runner with something that uses a different physiology and then let the runner do what they want with fluids.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I wondered about that. I am due for my annual checkup within a month. I will ask about this. Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Roses Revenge

Thanks. I thought that was what you were saying, but wanted to check. I'm still pretty new at this running thing and learning all the time. My doc knows I do marathons and has commented that he doesn't have to tell me to exercise more for that reason. I started with this med originally because he was concerned about the other types of med interfering with the osteoporosis study med that I might (or might not) be taking. The study is over but I still don't know if I was on the med or a placebo. I'm thinking a placebo based on what's happened to my bone density in the last five years.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

areesemd

Not to hijack, but I take a diuretic (diovan) for HBP. Trent, what is unsafe about this? Dehydration? Electrolytes?
                            Actually, Diovan is not a diuretic unless it is Diovan HCT.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, Diovan is not a diuretic unless it is Diovan HCT.
                              Oops, right. I assumed the hct, : blushing : when he said Diovan.

Prince of Fatness

It is the Diovan HCT that I take.

Not at it at all.