Need help deciding on a new GPS watch (Read 1012 times)

Julia1971

The battery is a bit disappointing with the 610 -- but now I keep it on the charger all day, so that helps.

A friend has the same pin issues -- if you bend the pin slightly and shove it back in place it won't fall out.

My little annoyance with the 610 is based on the a UI nigglet: when running in the dark, I have the watch set so if I tap on the face it lights for 5 seconds.  Unfortunately, that is also a signal to rotate between training pages.  So instead of tap to see what I want, it becomes "tap tap tap tap" to move through the screens back to the original one on display to see it lit up.

Now I just have the watch set to keep the light on all the time.

I didn't know it had that feature...  Have you tried wearing a headlamp at night?

Another 610 owner here.  I never recommend it to people because I assume it's above what most people would want to pay for a watch but I've been really happy with mine.  And, +1 to the ease of creating all kinds of workouts.   

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I checked out DC Rain Maker's website and since I want to wear this as an everyday watch as well, I am thinking about going with the new Forerunner 10 even though it doesn't have a HRM and the design does look like it's from the 80s. 

The 210 is really nice but is it worth an extra $120 just to have HR and other features I probably won't need? I don't really think so especially since I'm a "fitness" runner and 75% of my workouts are run/walk intervals. And if I'm completely honest, I may wear my HR about 25% of the time and will always have my 305 as a backup for when I do need the extra features and HRM. When my 305 eventually dies, then I may look into getting the 210 or even 610 but for now as a secondary watch, I think the 10 will meet my needs.

Now to find an online retailer that actually has it in stock! I wish Best Buy sold it, I have a $25 gift certificate from there I need to use.

xhristopher

The battery is a bit disappointing with the 610 -- but now I keep it on the charger all day, so that helps.

A friend has the same pin issues -- if you bend the pin slightly and shove it back in place it won't fall out.

My little annoyance with the 610 is based on the a UI nigglet: when running in the dark, I have the watch set so if I tap on the face it lights for 5 seconds.  Unfortunately, that is also a signal to rotate between training pages.  So instead of tap to see what I want, it becomes "tap tap tap tap" to move through the screens back to the original one on display to see it lit up.

Now I just have the watch set to keep the light on all the time.

Can't you just tap the top left button for light? That's what I do. I think you can even tweak how long that light stays on.

I'm fortunate that I've had no battery life gripes yet. Ask me again in a year when I've put a few more cycles on it. Perhaps if I did ultras I'd think differently about the battery but it did fine on a half irondude event this summer. I don't power the unit off and still get several days use on a charge. Is yours configured to go into "Power Save Mode" when not being actively used? I have to imagine leaving the light on all the time would impact the batterly life too.

I don't really know how to bend the pin. What I do know is that the inside plastic on the band has deteriorated and there isn't much left for the pin to grab right now and I need to buy a replacement band soon.

Gripes aside, it seems to be the goldilocks gps for me right now. It had better hold up because there isn't anything else out there that I'd rather have. I love that you can program alarms & splits to have it vibrate like a phone.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yep, top left button is an option.  Just so much easier to slap the clock-face.

W/o the light, I seem to use up 33% of the battery in a 2hr run.  With the light on the entire time it's more like 43%.  I don't currently have any problems with the battery life -- I'd just feel better if it had 20hrs, rather than 6hrs of life.  That being said, 6hrs is enough for what I do.

And yes, I don't see a watch I'd rather have on the market.  No regrets with my purchase.  For me it was worth the extra $100 for Awesome(tm).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

skibug

The Forerunner 10 sounds nice based on the reviews.  I would point out that FR 210 when purchases without a HRM is $199 or $70 more than the 10.  You should be able to use the HR strap from the 305 with a 210.  I have had the 210 for about 4 months and really like it.  The 10 sounds great if you do not want or need a HRM.

lagwagon

W/o the light, I seem to use up 33% of the battery in a 2hr run.  

And yes, I don't see a watch I'd rather have on the market.  No regrets with my purchase.  For me it was worth the extra $100 for Awesome(tm).

I have about the same experience with my 610 battery.  I can get 3-4 days running before needing a charge (6 hrs?), which to me is great.

I also agree that for me the 610 was worth the upgrade from the 210, but for most people I recommend the 210...its an excellent watch.

I didnt know about the tap-to-light feature, I'll need to try that.  

OP, sounds like the 10 will fit your needs.  Buy it, and if you find you love it and want more features, you can dump it on ebay and buy up to the next one.

The Garmin Forerunner 210 is the product that meets all of your requirements, except that it does not have an explicit Run/Walk feature.  It does have an Interval timer, though, and as you understand this can easily be configured for Run/Walk application.

I have run with many many GPS running watches from lots of different manufacturers (seriously -- it's part of my job).  If I were spending my own $$, the 210 would definitely be the product I would purchase.  In my view it is the best value available.

Sometimes people call me out on these forums for my vested interest, which is fine, so I'll save them the trouble and tell you that I work for Garmin.  Nevertheless (take it or leave it) it is my honest opinion that the Forerunner 210 is the best answer for you.  And this is a good week to get my truly honest and unbiased opinion, because I am very very unhappy (might even say massively hacked off) with my employer this week.  Dead

Good luck!

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm also looking for a GPS watch with HR monitor, but I cycle as well as run and am wondering if your advice would be the same - would the Forerunner 210 be best for me also??  Most rides are no more than 50km, with the maximum distance being 100-110km, and most of my running is done on the treadmill rather than outside (yes, I know there's a shoe pod available). After doing my basic research I'm thinking this is the best watch for my purposes but another (expert) opinion would be great Smile

an amazing likeness

http://dcrainmaker.com. Best place to learn about all the options.

Cairen,

You absolutely should check the dcrainmaker website referenced earlier in this thread -- his reviews are informative, and he's a triathelete so he includes cycling info.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cairen,

You absolutely should check the dcrainmaker website referenced earlier in this thread -- his reviews are informative, and he's a triathelete so he includes cycling info.

Yep.....did exactly that about two minutes after making my last post on here.  Will check for a reply as soon as I've had my morning coffee.  Thank you :-)