Stu's 30K - Clinton, MA (Read 953 times)

Just wondering who is going to be at this race Sunday (for sure)...... AND -- As a race volunteer, I will be working with Mr STU himself, mixing up the Gatoraide and helping set up the water stops -- So - if anyone has any special requests for running refreshments, let me know and I'll talk to STU (the man, the myth, the legend) and see if we can accommodate.... I'll be looking for RA'ers before and after the race......

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

For sure? Oh jeeze well I don't do real well with committing in advance to races. I'm debating Stu's 30k vs. Claddagh Pub 4-miler. Both have their merits. Stu's would have more training value for Boston. Claddagh 4-miler is less than half the drive, is over in 1/4 the time and the post-race festivities are in a pub. Hmmm.

Runners run

For sure? Oh jeeze well I don't do real well with committing in advance to races. I'm debating Stu's 30k vs. Claddagh Pub 4-miler. Both have their merits. Stu's would have more training value for Boston. Claddagh 4-miler is less than half the drive, is over in 1/4 the time and the post-race festivities are in a pub. Hmmm.
        I have to admit that that PUB thing sounds pretty good....... If you show, keep your eyes peeled as Ill be around somewhere.........and like I told Baddawg -- I'll introduce you to Stu, who is a real person that was the creator of the race (many years ago)....

Claddagh 4-miler is less than half the drive, is over in 1/4 the time and the post-race festivities are in a pub. Hmmm.
          The Claddagh Four Miler conflicted with Stu's last year too, so I haven't run it. I have run the Halfway to St Pat's and the Mill Cities Relay out of the Claddagh, those were some beer-swilling crowds for sure. Mmmm, beer. I'm hoping for some decent conditions, Stu's will be a real slog if the footing stinks.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

I am out for Stu's. I'll meet you at a race one of these days though, John A. I just registered for tomorrow's Claddagh 4 miler (in the snow it looks like) and the New Bedford Half on the 15th.

Runners run

I dont blame you.......I wish I wasnt helping out---told them Id help so lll be there but its not Gonna be a great day...... Im definately in at New Bedford..............and looking forward it......paid for that one a few weeks ago......

Stu's will be a real slog.
                I don't think I'll be singing the Happy Happy Joy Joy song. It's never good when you have orange flashing headers on weather.com, but as long as I don't wind up in a ditch I should be there.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I don't think I'll be singing the Happy Happy Joy Joy song. It's never good when you have orange flashing headers on weather.com, but as long as I don't wind up in a ditch I should be there.
                  Dawg -- I'll be looking for you.....tomorrow I'm starting at 7:00 at Stu's house....mixing the gatorade... During the race I will be monitoring the hand off at the second relay station........afterwhich Ill probably be at Clinton HS enjoyig the closing activities....... Look around for me and Ill be looking for you.......I dont know if ill be there at the beginning of the race but I think I will..... GOOD LUCK TOMORROW if I dont see you at the beginning of the race.....

After the race I was walking from my Jeep to the school to get something to eat. A guy says "nice day for a race" and I thought to myself "only Stu would say that". Sure enough, it was the man himself. I was wearing a Greater Lowell shirt, and we had a nice chat about Central Mass Striders vs. GLRR through the years. I love this pic, it's the race winner (1:47:51 @ 5:47 pace) at the two mile mark. Only 16.6 snowy hilly miles to go! Pants? We don't need no stinking pants! Yours truly (wearing pants) It was great having a chance to meet you after the race John, see you in New Bedford!

E.J.

mikeymike

Nice pics, Dawg. We had fun in the snow in Lawrence too, just less of it. Like 14.6 miles less of it. But more beer, so there was that.

Runners run

Nice pics, Dawg. We had fun in the snow in Lawrence too, just less of it. Like 14.6 miles less of it. But more beer, so there was that.
                        Less miles, more beer. You win. I was trying to find my time on coolrunning Sunday night, but CMS hadn't posted them yet. While I was on CR I saw your Claddagh result, nicely done. If you see me in New Bedford, say hello before you set off to break the course record.

E.J.

mikeymike

Will do, BadDawg. And course record? Hah. I'd be over the moon to crack the top 100 at NB. THAT is a race.

Runners run

After the race I was walking from my Jeep to the school to get something to eat. A guy says "nice day for a race" and I thought to myself "only Stu would say that". Sure enough, it was the man himself. I was wearing a Greater Lowell shirt, and we had a nice chat about Central Mass Striders vs. GLRR through the years. It was great having a chance to meet you after the race John, see you in New Bedford!
                            Hey Dawg -- Stu is truly a great guy and had run the 2nd leg of the relay on a team called the Geezers (all age 70 or older). Glad you got to visit with him for a while. You know he runs a lot, and CMS has a 5K ever weekend that he rarely misses. Also everytime you go to any race in the area, he is there ready to go and first in line to run (Stu is 72 years old). In addition, he sponsors a 4 week cross country series in June, and a race called the Deer Run in Oct -- very active - were really lucky to have him. I enjoyed meeting you also and wish we could have talked a bit more.......you looked like you needed refreshments more then you needed to talk to me right about then.....Sorry there was no beer (that's what happens when you run a race out of a middle school).. Ill be looking for you and mikeymike in New Bedford..............I should be easy to find as I'll be wearing a white CMS singlet over my long sleeved shirt... There wont be that many people wearing a CMS singlet (except the CMS woman's team). I doubt anyone will confuse me for them as the are all VERY VERY FAST.......Kim Duclos (our fastest woman) came in 10th overall at Stu's on Sunday.

mikeymike

The CMS women are no joke. I've run with several of them. I'll likely be flying the MVS colors at NB. See you guys there. We can chat over some fish chowdah served in a styrofoam bowl with a plastic spoon.

Runners run

See you guys there. We can chat over some fish chowdah served in a styrofoam bowl with a plastic spoon.
                                I'll be a tad behind you both, so perhaps you can save a little chowder for me - and I'll get in as quickly as I can........Shocked