Talk me out of buying a Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 1617 times)

Al1

Water and sweat resistant. Canoeing is fine.
    Strap it to the canoe or it will leave a big tan mark on your arm. Smile I've used the 301 for almost 2-yrs now and love it. I use mine pretty much the same way as trent as far as using lap pace, average total pace and shutting off the autolap during races and track workouts. I do find the 301 signal reception weak while on a trial, but most of my runs are done on subdivision roads. So, it works perfect. I've had the occasion to run with two "au naturel" runners, on their courses, and they both found that they weren't running as far as they thought they were based on their estimated pace. However, there might be days that they short change themselves. For me I enjoy logging my runs based on distance vs pace. So, my Garmin is perfect for this. It is accurate and quick and easy to strap on and go. However, If I had to do it over again, I would have saved the extra $75 and ditched the HRM.
      Well my Garmin is finally on its way but I did not get it for the initially advertised price. Amazon pulled their famous bait and switch again. In the end I paid about $4 more for the product and $3 more for shipping than I thought I had on my first try. I would have gladly paid $189 and $3.99 shipping the first time to have it be on its way on Wednesday but they were advertising it for $185 and $0.99 shipping.
      I initially ordered my 205 from another co., but after ordering it on the 2nd and expecting it to be shipped w/in 48 hrs as the site said, then learning it hadn't been shipped out even by yesterday....I cancelled the order simply because I was ticked. Probably stupid, as I'm not going to use it till the snow melts off the trails anyway!. I zipped over to Amazon and ordered one. When I first searched, I swore it was .99 shipping and a little cheaper!! When I ordered the price had gone up as well. Glad I'm not nuts! Didn't you have the option of choosing free shipping though? You also didn't get got sucked into the Amazon Visa like I did? (which saves $30) Bottom line is $109 after the $50 rebate and $30 credit. I didn't think that was too shabby!! Smile
        I have to say I'm in love with dh's 305. As much as my runs have sucked this week due to the gusty winds and cold, I was able to cut out some of the parts where I'd have to face 25 mph winds head on and run where ever the hell I wanted knowing that I would still get in the milage I wanted for the day. I'm not sure I"m going to give it back to him either Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

mikeymike

Oh dear it showed up today. And here I am with several inches of slippery, sloppy, messy, icy snowy crap outside my door with snow still coming down and also going sideways and sometimes up with 40 mph winds whipping it all up into a frothy, icy mess. Why now for our first real storm of the year?? Oh well. It will wait.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Get out and run. Ninny. What better way to test the reception than under such conditions. Wait. I take that back. Go out and run in another couple hours. It will be really nasty then.
            RunningHammer

Oh dear it showed up today. And here I am with several inches of slippery, sloppy, messy, icy snowy crap outside my door with snow still coming down and also going sideways and sometimes up with 40 mph winds whipping it all up into a frothy, icy mess. Why now for our first real storm of the year
              ha ha same thing happened to me when mine came - torrential rain for 3 days!
              mikeymike

Get out and run. Ninny. What better way to test the reception than under such conditions. Wait. I take that back. Go out and run in another couple hours. It will be really nasty then.
                I WILL get out today. The weather situation is about as bad as it gets for a runner. Things look tantalizingly okay--there aren't three feet of snow or anything--but the roads and sidewalks are extremely bitched up. There is an icy, rutted layer on everything. This is the recipe: hard snow for several hours, turning to freezing rain, then rain, then freezing rain, then snow again, then lots of very cold air and wind to freeze the whole mess solid. Beauty. Walking over here this morning from my car was treacherous, so running should be fun. But I have to get out even if only for a few miles. I would have been better off going this morning--the roads in Reading are just snowpacked with a frozen granular layer that provides okay traction, it just would have been slow. But I figured running in the dark on that would have been a bit tough, especially with all the plows still out doing their thing. Oh well. We'll give it a try at lunchtime. Probably head downtown where the sidewalks should be in better shape.

Runners run

mikeymike

Well that sucked. The city is not fit for running in right now. And the Garmin is less accurate near tall buildings. What Garmin said we ran, 5.5 miles: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2084274 Here's what we actually ran, 5 miles: http://www.runningahead.com/maps/64dace2863a1474fb3a7060a5c1f4bda I need to take it for a spin in the 'burbs tomorrow....

Runners run

Well that sucked. The city is not fit for running in right now. Just make sure you get it cleaned up for me by April 16, ok? Clowning around
                    mikeymike

Okay I turned on something called "Corrections" and now it is only off by .5 miles, which is not terrible I guess considering I was right next to tall buildings the whole time. Kevin, no worries the snow will be gone and you'll just have to worry about a freak 4 hour heat wave like the one we had in '04. My last marathon. Good luck in your training.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Look again. The summary info on that run is : Total Time (h:m:s) - 0:45:23 - 8:10 pace Moving Time (h:m:s) - 0:44:52 - 8:05 pace Distance (mi ) 5.55 That looks more in line with what you describe. The 7.5 is miles per hour, not minutes per mile. Despite poor signal (also on the summary page) your GPS map looks a lot like your Runningahead map. I suspect that the poor signal was due to the combination of weather conditions, being in a city and the fact that you had not used the device before (so it was still getting to know your location).
                        mikeymike

Trent, Right, my first post is confusing (fixing that next)...after I ran "Corrections" the data is what you said. My bet is it performs much, much better in suburbia tomorrow. This was not a good test since we ran a really curvy course, downtown near all the tallest buildings we could find. Even our normal route out to South Boston would have been better. The weather was good, though. Sunny and windy.

Runners run

mikeymike

Okay I took it out this morning in the suburbs and the thing performed great. It never lost signal and the mile markers were exactly where they should have been. GPS said 8.36 miles in 1:03:49 and I just mapped in RA and it came out to 8.4 miles: http://www.runningahead.com/maps/c28fe70db79f42a3968d1d16e1e8b40a I had a problem uploading it to MB though. I think maybe I needed to reset the GPS before using it this morning? It read all zeros so I thought it was reset, but I guess not. It put the starting point at my office, then drew a straight line to where I actually started the run. If you look at the laps they are basically correct except for the little one at the start: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2086609 I don't see a way to edit the entry in MB so I guess this one is screwed up for good. Live and learn. In hindsight I think I could have deleted that first lap from the GPS itself and then uploaded it, unfortunately in trying to trouble shoot it I accidentally deleted all workouts. So its gone. All in all I'm feeling really good about my purchase now.

Runners run

I had a problem uploading it to MB though. .
                              I like SportTracks much more than MB. It's free, quite easy to navigate, you can edit your run too. Ewa
                              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had a problem uploading it to MB though. ... I don't see a way to edit the entry in MB so I guess this one is screwed up for good.
                                What was the problem, I did not understand. No, MB does not allow you to edit. You can download the course and edit the XML manually, then reupload. But I rarely do this. I hope that Eric's GPS tool will let us edit Big grin
                                I like SportTracks much more than MB. It's free, quite easy to navigate, you can edit your run too.
                                SportTracks is not straightforward to download and install, and is not avaliable for Macs -
                                SportTracks requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and will not behave properly if it is not installed. If you are unsure whether you have .NET 1.1 follow the instructions on the following page:
                                ".NET Framework 1.1" ?!? WTH?