Talk me out of buying a Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 1617 times)

Scout7

The .Net Framework is basically Microsoft's newer environment. It should be part of XP, assuming you've kept somewhat up to date on patches and service packs.
    mikeymike

What was the problem, I did not understand.
      The problem was that once I uploaded, MB showed the starting point at my office and the starting time as yesterday at about 1:19 PM, when I shut it off last. Then the map has a straight line to the point where I actually started this morning. So it shows a total time of 17 hours and 20 minutes, and a moving time of 1 hour and 3 minutes. And it shows a total distance of 20.2 miles, which includes the 11.8 miles as-the-crow-flies from my office to my house AND the 8.4 miles that I ran this morning. I think I just needed to hit "reset" on the Garmin this morning. But it read all zeros so I didn't think I needed to and I was standing under a streetlight freezing my ass off so I just wanted to get moving. Plus it displayed the correct distance the whole time I was running and after I was done, so I never thought there was a problem until I uploaded. Yeah, SportTracks looks kind of cool, but I'm not a fan of things I need to download and install. I think MotionBased will work well once I get used to the routine.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The .Net Framework is basically Microsoft's newer environment. It should be part of XP, assuming you've kept somewhat up to date on patches and service packs.
        Right. But it is not part of Mac. I use both operating systems (XP and OSX), but believe that software should not be developed to work in only one environment.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The start/stop button - press this the moment you start a run and the moment you finish a run. If you want to stop the timing during the run, say as you cross a street, you can press this again as you stop and start. I use autopause instead. The lap button - press this and hold it down until the device counts down from 3 - 2 - 1. This will clear the activity so that you cannot accidentally add more data to a given run, say as you walk to your car. The data will still be there when you upload to motionbased, or whatever. Autopause - this is under training options. You can set your device to stop timing when it senses that you are not moving. Make sure that you have this turned OFF during a race or it will stop counting when you bend down to tie your shoes. The race clock will keep counting and so you will have different times.
          mikeymike

The start/stop button - press this the moment you start a run and the moment you finish a run. If you want to stop the timing during the run, say as you cross a street, you can press this again as you stop and start. I use autopause instead. The lap button - press this and hold it down until the device counts down from 3 - 2 - 1. This will clear the activity so that you cannot accidentally add more data to a given run, say as you walk to your car. The data will still be there when you upload to motionbased, or whatever. Autopause - this is under training options. You can set your device to stop timing when it senses that you are not moving. Make sure that you have this turned OFF during a race or it will stop counting when you bend down to tie your shoes. The race clock will keep counting and so you will have different times.
            Thanks. I did all of that right except the lap button part (note to self.) Autopause is kind of cool, as is autolap. I had both of those turned on this morning.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I also use autolap by distance, set to every mile. For races I turn autolap off as well, since it does not matter when I think or the device thinks I have gone a mile; it only matters when the race course says I have Big grin
              mikeymike

Yeah, autolap every mile is a cool feature. I have that turned on as well. It's nice to be able to see my mile splits after the fact, if I want to, without thinking about them during the run at all. Today was sort of a calibration run on a known course to see how accurate it was. Now that I have total confidence in it, at least in the suburbs, I'll likely use it mostly to go ad lib new routes whenever I feel like it and then not feel the need to map it in RA as well. The other thing I'm looking forward to doing is workouts on the roads. I programmed a few workouts--such as 5 x 1 mile with 3 minute recovery jogs--that I'm looking forward to doing over a 10-13 mile road run. I don't see myself using the Garmin in races, unless its a race I'm using as a training run like a 30K in preparation for a marathon maybe. Half the time I don't even use a watch in races.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I tend to wear mine in races to make sure that I am not running too fast early and to help give myself confidence vis a vis in later miles when I am tired but my HR is okay.
                  mikeymike

The lap button - press this and hold it down until the device counts down from 3 - 2 - 1.
                    Bingo. I did this and saw, for the first time, the garmin count down 3-2-1. I reset it before and after the run and everything worked perfect. I ran a course that I've measured 3 different ways--onethat I believe to be (kinda) precisely 6.45 miles--and lookie here: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2092666 Not as fun as racing a half marathon, but still a good run.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

Finally remembered all the accoutrements for a run and got this neato chart... so, what do I do now? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

so, what do I do now?
                        Run harder. Keep your HR above 170. Even on the downhills. Of course. Evil grin
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I find the HRM is very helpful in training, to make sure that I keep my exertion high during tempo work, and low during easy work (since it is easy to do the wrong thing). I figure that I would rather have the HRM now than decide later that I want one, and have to buy the whole thing over again..
                          This is one of the most intelligent things I've read about heart-rate training in a long time. Too many folks are a slave to the "beep"; I'm glad to read someone who looks at them like I do -- helps you go fast enough on hard days, and slow enough on easy days. Now we could just demolish that myth about using your HRM in the "fat-burning zone." As for mikeymike, don't get the 205. Trent is right. Get the 305. Big grin Oops, just read the rest of the thread and saw you bought it. Have fun!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

So, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin 405. I won it for being the closest to my pace goal without going over at CMM (0.46 seconds). It just goes to show that Garmin is taking over the world. Count me as colonized. MTA: Holy crap, this isn't a swamp thread!!
                            mikeymike

Ah February of 2007. The novelty eventually wore off and I think I've used my Garmin 4 times since September.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Ah February of 2007. The novelty eventually wore off and I think I've used my Garmin 4 times since September.
                                Crazy to think that human beings have only been running with Garmins for about 2.5 years. We talk about them now as if they are as crucial to running as our big toe.