Talk me out of buying a Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 1617 times)

Ah February of 2007. The novelty eventually wore off and I think I've used my Garmin 4 times since September.
    Ditto. I got a Garmin in 11/07 and it was entertaining for a while. Now I wear it maybe once every few weeks if I'm concerned about pace on a long run or something tweaky like that.

So, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin 405. I won it for being the closest to my pace goal without going over at CMM (0.46 seconds). It just goes to show that Garmin is taking over the world. Count me as colonized. MTA: Holy crap, this isn't a swamp thread!!
      The 405 at least looks it would be a decent sports watch, instead of like running with a brick.

Why is it sideways?

The 405 at least looks it would be a decent sports watch, instead of like running with a brick.
        Yeah, pretty much every watch looks like a brick on my delicate and girlish wrists. Meh.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is impossible to run without a 305 on your arm. If you are out without a 305 on, you are just jogging.
            Ah February of 2007. The novelty eventually wore off and I think I've used my Garmin 4 times since September.
            I was considering getting one. How do you think you lost interest? Just found over time that you prefer to run by (kung fu) feel?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Yeah, pretty much every watch looks like a brick on my delicate and girlish wrists. Meh.
              I had 4 links taken out of my watch before it would stay put. My wife finally badgered me to get my ring sized down to a 7 1/2--I'm wearing her silver "pregnancy band" while its being worked on.
              mikeymike

I an considering getting one. How do you think you lost interest? Just preferred to run by (kung fu) feel?
                Pretty much, yeah. I thought I'd want to improvise routes a lot more than I actually do--it turns out running familiar routes is mentally a lot easier, I can just zone out and run. So 98% of the time I just head out for an easy run on a route that I know the distance. Then there's a % of the time where I head out for a run, wind up ad libbing the route anyway, but either I'm okay with estimating the distance since it's only an easy run anyway or mapping it on RA takes like 1 minute. I still occasionally use it for long runs when I'm making it up on the fly and for intervals by distance instead of time on the roads. But by occasionally I mean 4 or 5 times since September 08. The new GPS importer that Eric developed for RA makes it easier, but still, eh, GPS doesn't buy me much and it's kinda bulky on my lithe and runnerly wrist. It's a decent toy but if mine broke I would not replace it.

Runners run

You'll have to share your thoughts about the 405. It's supposedly going on sale so I was considering it.
                  It is impossible to run without a 305 on your arm. If you are out without a 305 on, you are just jogging.
                  I definitely don't want to be just a jogger.

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

MrH

So, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin 405. I won it for being the closest to my pace goal without going over at CMM (0.46 seconds).
                    Given your pacing is perfect, you'd think the Garmin is the last thing they should offer as a prize. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, I am now the proud owner of a Garmin 405. I won it for being the closest to my pace goal without going over at CMM (0.46 seconds).
                      You went over.
                        I have the 205 for over 2 years now (had the 201 before that). I almost never run without it even if its a familar route. I just love entering the data when I'm done, even though, I rarely ever go back and look. Roll eyes The only time I run without it is on the track, and even then...I miss it! Yes, I'm a freak...but what can I say, I'm an engineer. If I didn't have the 205 I would HAVE to get something else, or I'd just have to quit running. MUST HAVE DATA! Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Why is it sideways?

Given your pacing is perfect, you'd think the Garmin is the last thing they should offer as a prize. Smile
                          I know. I thought he was making a joke when he said that I'd won it. Trent: I went over. How so?
                            Trent: I went over. How so?
                            I think he may have been implying a cuckoo's nest, but not sure.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

I know. I thought he was making a joke when he said that I'd won it.
                              Second prize ... two Garmins.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I thought you were almost a second over. Those hundredths count.