my cruciate ligament (Read 90 times)

Dinklage

so i am new to the forums, as this injury was the reason i signed up on the forums, I ran a lot about 3 times a week doing 12 to 16 km each time, but today the sad news arrived that i ripped my  cruciate ligament, i'm mentaly going nuts atm, as all i worked for the past year is gone due to this injury, i was about to sign up for the military as well. so i'm looking for advice on these forums. is there someone who has been through this, or knows someone who has had it, i keep fantasizing that i'll never be able to run as good as before, maybe not even able to sign up for the military, so pls any kind of advice or support is welcome.

Dinklage

an amazing likeness

You don't say which ligament:  ACL, MCL or PCL.  They each have different likely outcomes. ACL repairs generally recover fully and fairly quickly. MCL and PCL are not as easily summarized.

I am not a Dr, this is only opinion and what I've experienced.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

This is a tricky one because there are three cruciate ligaments. The  one that is most often torn is the Anterior, or ACL. I'll assume that is what has happened to you. Now, was it completely torn? Did your MD advise you on what to do? I have 3 friends that have suffered the same injury, and are back to doing basically what ever they want. My friends all busted their knees while skiing, and have had surgery, and had to wear that god awful knee brace. As far as recovery goes, my buddy was pretty much good to go after 6 months. Can run, hike, climb bike, etc. There are others here that can, and will help much more so than me, good luck, and KEEP FANTASIZING. It' will help keep your mind off things. Best of luck to you, MFN.

If it is the ACL, get the surgery. There's no reason not to. I had mine done 9 years ago. It doesn't bother me, it doesn't have an impact on training. I did a 2,000 mile year three years following the surgery.

If it is the ACL, get the surgery. There's no reason not to. I had mine done 9 years ago. It doesn't bother me, it doesn't have an impact on training. I did a 2,000 mile year three years following the surgery.

Agreed.  I tore my ACL in January of 2007, had surgery in March (cadaver), and was running in August without any real pain but also without any fitness.  I was 31 and in pretty good shape when I had surgery so that helped recovery.  If you go that route, commit to the rehab as well...it is wickedly aggravating but totally necessary.  I don't really have any issues now nine years later except soreness after really cold runs or longer track workouts with a lot of turns.

delicate flower

I tore my ACL, LCL, MCL, and meniscus playing hockey in 2009 before I was a runner.

I tore the same ACL, LCL, MCL, and meniscus skiing in 2013, just as I was beginning to get going as a runner (started in 2012).  Felt like I had to start completely over again.

I've run five marathons and 7000 miles since my last tear three years ago.  ACL tear isn't what it used to be for athletes.  I ran a 9 minute half marathon PR (1:36) seven months after surgery.  You should be able to recover fully if you follow your doctor's orders and do your physical therapy.  I can't speak to your military eligibility though.  Good luck!

<3

Dinklage

aight, everyone who replied, i want to say thank you for the good advise, and making me calm down, Today i went to the doctor, he says it will all be fine, so i guess i was just a little in shock Tongue, anyways another thanks.

wish me luck Smile

Dinklage

I already wished you good effing luck AIGHT. Anybody that says AIGHT is AIGHT with me. Good luck once again cuz..