2015 Sub-18 5k (Read 419 times)

Ran 17:30 this weekend so you can cross me off the list

runnershawn

Thanks I am in.  I have broken before, but is never a given!!  Current P.R. 17:41  Hoping spring time, but have some foot issues so may be summer.

DigDug2

michaelmarty - any key workouts you can share that you think helped you hit this, or that you think gave you confidence that you were in 17:30 shape?  I like lurking on this chain but am curious what training people are doing to go sub-18.

Where is the sub 15 thread? Once I straighten out my groin issue I might take this running thing half seriously.

Kalsarikännit

Where is the sub 15 thread? Once I straighten out my groin issue I might take this running thing half seriously.

Anyone who is half serious runs sub-14.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Anyone who is half serious runs sub-14.

That's practically a stroll on the beach.

Tweeeked

Great job!

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                • 10k: sub-36
                • Half: sub-76
                • Full: 2:45 in Boston
                Tweeeked

michaelmarty - any key workouts you can share that you think helped you hit this, or that you think gave you confidence that you were in 17:30 shape?  I like lurking on this chain but am curious what training people are doing to go sub-18.

I haven't officially hit sub-18 yet due to my upcoming marathon, but I am fairly confident I am there - I ran a 37:41 10k tempo on the track last week. Anyway, the key for me is mileage. I have found that my body responds really well to higher mileage. Last summer I peaked at 70 miles and hit some major PRs in the fall. This winter I peaked at 80 miles and with that 10k tempo I can already tell I am much much stronger than before.

2016 Goals:

A couple years ago I ran 17:32, 17:41, 17:46  which I did off 60 miles per week.   I knew I was ready when I did a 4 mile tempo at 6:04 pace a few weeks prior to the actual race.   Also, my 5K predictor workout is 3x1mile on the track with 90 second standing rests.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Ran 17:41 this past weekend! Woot! Been stuck at 18:11 for a long time. Crushed it. Next up, hit 36xx in the 10k (this weekend possibly). Fingers crossed :-) (37:26 is my PR)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Agree with the others...upping mileage has helped me (50-60 MPW instead of 30-40 last year).   I also like 3 or 4 x 1 mile repeats at goal pace.  It helps to know 5:45 pace within a couple seconds.

Tweeeked

Ran 17:41 this past weekend! Woot! Been stuck at 18:11 for a long time. Crushed it. Next up, hit 36xx in the 10k (this weekend possibly). Fingers crossed :-) (37:26 is my PR)

Congrats!!! Sub-37 should be very doable for you now!

Update on my front: Finally get to start speed work again after going 2:57:14 in my debut marathon! Pretty excited to have qualified for Boston!

2016 Goals:

Kcoates1223

Raced a few weekends ago pretty poorly at 19:45. Coming off a long tough Chicago winter, but have been upping my mileage and intensities as of late. I have a few longer races in the next few weeks before I get another shot at the 5k. Good luck to all, and congrats on all that completed the goal already!

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

run-chris-run

Just raced in our company's annual 5K, a legitimate-enough one to have chip timing and a properly measured course (at least the GPS checks out). 17:53, count it!

Next stop: BQ...

Edit: Checked with the race organizers again, they can't stand by the true 5K distance so I'm not going to count it yet. However, I know I'm right there!

kcam

Congrats,ctingyu08.  Your longer distance PRs need attention at some point.

I haven't posted here in a while as I'm not even close to this one.  I took pretty much all of Jan and Feb off due to the PF issue in my left foot and some unknown problem in my right foot.  The PF is 100% cleared up still some minor issue with the right foot but I started back building very slowly in March.  So here's how I've raced at 5K:

3/22 - 20:18  (flat, fast course)

5/03 - 19:55  (tough course, probably worth a 19:42 on a flat course)

I've done a few other races (10K, 12K etc) but won't bore you with the details. Even though I've got a LOT of work to do to even get back to sub-19, I'm encouraged as I feel like I have some 'fitness momentum' building again.