new shoes, old knee? (Read 491 times)

So the last month or so I've been squeaking out 10 miles a week, if lucky, due to this pain in my left knee. After zoom-zoom suggested the knee band, I've been making some progress and was actually able to go a full 5 miles today with little pain. So here's my dilemma. Around the same time I started having knee problems, I did two things. I increased my mileage pretty significantly, and I bought a completely new brand/model of shoe with less stability than my previous ones. I was feeling good and starting to hit 100 miles/month then, boom, I couldn't go 2 miles without the left knee shutting down. So I did 3 things to ease the pain. I quit running in the new shoes (Puma Eutopias) ...I took it really easy for about 4 weeks, with one week completely off, and I bought this knee strap and wear it almost every time I run (have been doing a little here and there without it.) So, if anyone has been through anything similar, do you suggest that I try to slowly introduce these shoes back into my runs or just ditch them? I paid 120 for them so it's hard for me to swallow not running in them at all, but it's way harder to only go 10 miles a week. I'm just not sure if my pain was caused by overtraining or a combination of that and new shoes. I don't want to risk making my knee worse again though. I have used nothing but Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6's since I started running a couple of years ago. They are getting harder to find, but I can still pick them up on ebay when I need a new pair.
      Personally I would buy new shoes. I would try to work back up to decent millage with the strap and the new shoes. Once you are comfortable with the millage I would try then use the original shoes. If you find it wasn't the shoes you end up with a spare pair. If it was the shoes you need to get out of them as soon as possible before the problem gets worse. Total win-win situation.
        I also have a left knee issue that is likely related to increasing mileage too quickly and sprinting the finish of a race about 2 months ago. I had stopped running and have now resumed but at a much slower pace and much shorter distances. I am going to both massage therapy and physical therapy. In addition, I purchased a strap. My problems began with ITBS symptoms and have progressed into hamstring tendon. I am now doing streching and strengthing of the quads and hamstrings. It is a painfully slow recovery process but I am committed to doing what ever it takes to get back to the mileage I was at before I got injured. I would recommend you get a consult and possible get a referral for massage, physio and/or custom orthotics. Hope things work out for you.

Menace to Sobriety

I'd go back to the shoe you were in before the problems. I've had similar experiences in the past with different shoe models. They feel great in the store, but after a week or two of running, I get some new aches and pains, ankles or knees, usually. I comes on very subtle, so its hard to always match the cause to effect. Its really aggravating when a shoemaker changes something in the model you were in with no problems, then you have to experiment to find another good match. I just bought 5 pair of the ones I've been in for that reason. I'll still have to go through the experimentation eventually, but I intend to postpone it for as long as possible.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

brandicted

When shoes get too old, the soles lose the power to absorb shock. Of course high heels hurt the legs in any condition.