Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Sub20:00 5k is a 2013 goal I'd like to attain. PR is 20:46 and won my AG to boot with that time. I have a 5k coming up in January which is part of a Winter Series that I am using to train for a March HM. I am a RWOL refugee also. Seems like there are a lot of us.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Mmmmm...beer

Didn't happen today, but I did take 1st in my AG with a 20:23. 

I was stupid and started too far back, first half mile was more like an obstacle course than a 5k.  Gonna try again in two weeks, hopefully with a better start I can squeak out that sub-20.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I hope you have better luck than me, Dave...I hit 20:21 in April and STILL have not cracked that yet.  My next closest was 20:23 in June, then mostly 20:35-20:50 since.  I am really frustrated.  I do some good speed workouts, so I think adding more miles overall is going to help me.

Did 10.52 @ 8:38 pace today.  Planned on 8 but felt great.  I felt like poo all week, struggling to even stay below 9:30 (my normal distance run pace is around 8:45-9:00)! So this run was a nice surprise.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

WayneMott

I'll throw my name in the hat for 2013

my current PR is 21:07.  I've been seeing huge improvement lately by doing 45-60 minute cycling sessions three times a week.  It has improved my aerobic base tremendously without the extra pavement pounding.  It's made my "easy runs" (7:40 pace) feel much easier.

My next race is going to be Jan 5th 2013. 

andrew.albright

Breaking 20 Minutes has been a goal all year. I ran 20:07 in late march. One more race for the year this coming Sunday. Haven't run a mile faster than 7 minutes since early October. Wish me luck!

Good luck, Andrew. Sub-20 is my goal for 2013, having not achieved it this year. Not that I ever actually trained for it. TBH, the point of sub 20 for me is to prepare for a sub 40 10k. Not sure I can achieve either, but we'll see.

Good luck, Andrew. Sub-20 is my goal for 2013, having not achieved it this year. Not that I ever actually trained for it. TBH, the point of sub 20 for me is to prepare for a sub 40 10k. Not sure I can achieve either, but we'll see.

I'm sure you realise this - but a sub-40 10k is significantly more difficult that a sub-20 5k. The former is more in line with a 5k performance somewhere around the 19:15 mark. 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Good Luck Andrew and join us in 3:300land over in the MRT user group.

Did a 2013 thread start yet?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

oriwoi

I'm sure you realise this - but a sub-40 10k is significantly more difficult that a sub-20 5k. The former is more in line with a 5k performance somewhere around the 19:15 mark. 

Doh!

It's pretty obvious, but I hadn't really thought about that, to be honest. You kinda took the wind out of my sails with that one. 

Actually, I'm thinking about it one step at a time.

I have to be able to hold a 4:00/km pace for 5 km before I can hope to do it for 10 km. 

I'm not positive that age 45 is the best time of life to be setting such goals, but, hey.

Doh!

It's pretty obvious, but I hadn't really thought about that, to be honest. You kinda took the wind out of my sails with that one. 

Actually, I'm thinking about it one step at a time.

I have to be able to hold a 4:00/km pace for 5 km before I can hope to do it for 10 km. 

I'm not positive that age 45 is the best time of life to be setting such goals, but, hey.

Hey - the age is not a problem if you're willing to put some miles in. I got down to 19:30 this year aged 47, and hope to be faster next year. I know people older than me who are much faster...

sdfgewiuohsdf

spam
                          flyrunnr

I'm 44 years old and I was new to running in 2012, although, I was a pretty good pole vaulter and sprinter in high school. In April this year I was running 26:00 minute 5k's and set a a goal to break 20 minutes, without having a clue how difficult it truly was going to be. Well, I finally got the Sub-20 5K goal for the first time last week with a time of 19:45. I was very thrilled with that time until I just ran 19:09 in a 5K earlier this morning. I can't believe it! And I think I could have easily broken 19:00 today if the course was a bit more flat. I find inspiration in meeting people older than me that are much faster than me, as I did last week when I met a 51 y.o. guy that said he started running at 44 and has gotten faster every year.

What have I done to get better over the last 8 months?? In short, the main thing is I have slowly increased my mileage as recommended by some of the smarter folks on this site. I had spent the first 6 months with training runs of 3-4 miles a few days a week and averaging 12-15 mpw. I had gotten up to 20-25 mpw by introducing initial long runs of 6-8 miles and trying doing a mid-week 5 mile run. I started meeting up with a running club that does a 5.5 mile loop on Tue night runs, and I stick with the 'B' group that runs about a 7:20 pace. More recently I have been doing longer runs to increase my aerobic base, and have slowly worked my way up to 16-18 mile long runs on Sun, which has really helped me enjoy running. I am now averaging close to 40 mpw, and have started doing hill repeats one day a week. This has vastly improved my speed and strength. Several folks on here recommended doing speedwork only after increasing weekly mileage up over 35-40 mpw. I have followed that advice closely.

2013 Goals:

Sub-19 5k;  run my first 1/2 Marathon (sub 1:30 would be sweet); run the Broad Street Run;  run my first Marathon (sub-3:15 = BQ would be sweet); 

PR's:

5K: 19:09,  8K: 32:51, 10K: 42:50

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats flyrunner! 

You and I are on similar paths, I've only been running since April, and have focused on base building first before speed work, and it's worked well so far.  I'm very curious to see what I can do in 2013 with some speed work. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

flyrunnr

Congrats flyrunner! 

You and I are on similar paths, I've only been running since April, and have focused on base building first before speed work, and it's worked well so far.  I'm very curious to see what I can do in 2013 with some speed work. 

Thanks Dave! I'm from the Philly area, so we may cross paths at some point, I was considering doing the Shamrock Half in March. Although, I have not done any speed work on the track as of yet, I have been doing the 1/3-1/2 mi hill repeats at 95% effort. If you haven't seen Pete Magill's video on drills and hills, check it out. He claims that hills are speed work in disguise and the benefits begin to show almost instantly.

I was sitting almost exactly where you are... I was at 20:21 and with three weeks 6 x 1/3 to 1/2 mile hill repeats on Tuesdays, I have dropped my time for almost a minute.

I will have to get a Garmin one of these days, I use the Nike+ watch to track all of my runs, and I believe it's not compatible with this site.

Good running!

Mike

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?