Prilosec for heartburn? (killing me on some runs) (Read 732 times)

Treadmill Addict

I'm getting the worst heartburn/reflux lately. I think a lot is due to stress. I'm a vegetarian, (mostly vegan, working on it.) and I've cut out dairy, chocolate, spicy foods, soda to see if it will help, and it's not. I'm worried about having problems with it during my marathon next month. (My first.) So today I bought some prilosec otc, and was thinking about using it in the week or two before the marathon to settle my stomach down. Anyone have experience with this? I also plan on taking some tums with me just in case.

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

flatland mountaineer

I am about the opposite of a vegan but I come from a long line of acid reflux suffers. For me the biggest triggers are soda, beer (that sucks), and anything tomato (acid). NO beer and pizza for me, that really sucks. Spicy foods make no difference for me. Nexium works alot better for me than Prilosec although they are really close chemically but prilosec is OTC and cheap now. Anyway Prilosec messes with my digestive system in not a "regular" way but many people get along with it. I don't take anything regularly now, just try and watch my triggers but usually take one pepcid before races as "insurance" and get along fine with it. With Prilosec you need to take it all the time.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Treadmill Addict

Oh, I wonder if I should get some pepcid for before the race. Is that pretty easy on the system?

Sarah (37)

flatland mountaineer

It works for me but your mileage may vary, nothing new on race day tho so try it before. I am not a Dr so if ther is some obscure risk factor with this drug I am clueless.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pepcid is pretty benign.
            Ojo

I have to take Prilosec OTC every day. When I was running less miles I was taking it every other day but now it is not a risk I want to take. Nothing is worse than getting heartburn during a long run -- especially if I am drinking a sports drink. I have been taking it for quite awhile so no side effects for me. Definitely try out whatever you decide before marathon day.

Sara

MM #2929

I get heartburn ALL the time. I live on tums basically, and they seem to work pretty well. My doctor prescribed me prilosec but I never kept it up cuz I hate popping pills. I never had any issues with it running though...

Treadmill Addict

Thanks everyone. I did a 20 mile run today and wished I had tried a pepcid before hand, just to see if it gave side effects. I actually didn't have too bad of heartburn during the run, so that's good. I think a lot of it is just being VERY careful of what I eat in the 2-3 days leading up to the run. (Especially the day before.) I'm hoping a pepcid will also help me stomach the shot bloks better. (Believe me, I've tried everything, gu's, gels, beans, everything. My stomach doesn't like any of them.) I'll try it for my next 20 miler in a few weeks. Thanks again for the responses!

Sarah (37)

I'd suggest starting the Prilosec. It's a very benign med and chronic reflux can have life threatening consequences (Barrett's esophagus, esophageal cancer which is a particularly nasty cancer, GI bleeds). If you were eating a bottle of tabasco a day, I'd suggest dietary changes, but since you have good diet already and are still having issues your options are dwindling. The lesser evil is to treat and it will likely save you worse consequences down the line. Tums is an OK episodic alternative, however every time you are symptomatic prompting a Tums dose means you're sustaining some level of damage (not necessarily permenant, but a little damage over time = a lot of damage). A preventative strategy is a better long term approach in my opinion. In fact, I would suggest seeing your primary care doc to keep him/her up to date about the problem. You may need further work up. Point of story - take it serious Smile

RobW

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by ever greater things." ~ R. Rilke