The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

In defense of synchronized diving it looks very difficult to do, and I think it is pretty cool to watch.

Heck, diving well is hard, and it hurts when you hit the water.

To do diving in synchronized fashion makes it even more amazing.

Now, curling on the other hand... right up there with Corn Hole. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sailing strikes me as odd for the Olympics. It's one of those sports that gets zero attention, but really it's not an accessible sport like most of the rest. (Accessible to do, not necessarily accessible to be competitive at).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

xor

I can't wait for Hope Solo's book to actually come out so we can get through the current cloud of how she's a Keepin It Real person and move on.

(in the PNW, we get a little more Hope Solo than the rest of you)

Conspiracy Theory: I kind of wonder if her approach to taking her meds and then disclosing it had some on-the-list diuretic goodness might have been a conscious play to keep her name in the news, knowing she'd just get a slap on the wrist.  I don't ACTUALLY believe this (see: "conspiracy theory") because that's a high risk play that could have screwed her  and her whole team, but it is fun to wonder because she is clearly all about remaining The Flavor right before the book release.

an amazing likeness

Serious (and seriously uninformed) soccer/futbol question -- how important are goalies?  I have the impression that there's only like 5 shots a game on goal....other than the contrived line up and kick it at the other team's wall of people covering their junk.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jules2

Sailing strikes me as odd for the Olympics. It's one of those sports that gets zero attention, but really it's not an accessible sport like most of the rest. (Accessible to do, not necessarily accessible to be competitive at).

Another example is the equestrian events which are just a rich persons hobby I think that within the fairly near future there will be so many sports that no one will want to host the Olympics For example i understand Rugby 7 aside will be included in the next games. The trouble is that most sports such as football and particularly the Olympic Committee are none democratic self serving organisations I would really love to audit their books. Look at the kickbacks visiting Olympic Officials get in the form of " hospitality" I'll be fascinated to see how the Soviet Union whoops sorry Russia manages the next Winter Olympics considering the grief they are already getting on site and with the rising tide of Muslim fundamentalism in the area I should imagine they will have to swamp the place with security.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Feeling the growl again

Dibaba!!!! WoW!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dibaba!!!! WoW!

Yeah, that was an impressive final 600m!

--

Nashville, TN

Hannibal Granite

If they will let me play with a beer in hand, I'm so in.

There is a penalty for NOT having a beer in your hand while playing cornhole.  

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

Allyson Felix wins her heat in the 100m. She looks a little slight compared to other sprinters.

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

Allyson Felix wins her heat in the 100m. She looks a little slight compared to other sprinters.

That one US female sprinter (Jeter?) looks just a little too "fit" for a woman. 

Feeling the growl again

That one US female sprinter (Jeter?) looks just a little too "fit" for a woman. 

I did not catch the country, but in the heats there was one women that looked more ripped than the female weightlifters.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, that was an impressive final 600m!

Apparently Dibaba can close - 2010 African champs - 61sec final lap to crush Linet Masai.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

I did not catch the country, but in the heats there was one women that looked more ripped than the female weightlifters.

Was she wearing green? I think she was from Nigeria. Yeah she was bigger than any of the other women in the 100m.

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

xor

If Dong Dong ever moves to the US, I hope we call him "Double D"

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If Dong Dong ever moves to the US, I hope we call him "Double D"

Or just "Ding".

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do