Pistorius Wins Right to Try for Olympic Spot (Read 1097 times)

That comment appears uninformed to me. Maybe he runs the 2nd half faster than the first because he has to overcome a significant disadvantage in getting up to speed with his artificial legs. Actually, I believe that is true. Yes, he doesn't have lower leg muscles to fatigue, but he also doesn't have them to help him run fast, either. And finally, how do you know he would be "unstoppable" at 800 meters? Do you honestly think he hasn't experimented with racing different distances, just like all elite athletes, to find the distance that suits him best? Or are you just trolling and I've been had? Tongue Anyway, I agree that there is only one way to find out if the artificial legs confer an advantage, and that is through unbiased scientific studies.
    Maybe he's already tried the 800m and his times were TOO fast to even argue about whether or not his blades give him an advantage. Who knows. Science of Sport has written a few articles on some of the studies... the latest one is pretty interesting. http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-much-does-it-cost-to-buy-scientific.html
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Cuz that's not how they roll.
      *snort*

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

Science of Sport has written a few articles on some of the studies... the latest one is pretty interesting. http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-much-does-it-cost-to-buy-scientific.html
        Great article. It always seems to boil down to "follow the money". In the words of that famed philosopher Bill the Cat - "Aaaackkk" This one is too close to the games to call so I say let him run if he can hit the qualifying number which he has yet to do. Unless there is another leap in technology between now and fall, he isn't good enough to medal but will make one hell of an human interest story. I still recall the furry over Casey Martin and the golf cart issue on the PGA Tour. The cart helps but his disease more than cancelled that assistance. My guess, his limitations are too great to be one of the top three even if the technology is 20% more efficient at energy transmission. After the Olympics, have a real study open to the world of running and engineering and then make a call. As for me, I won't be getting that bone saw ready just yet to win that 5K or the masters division at the state track and field meet. Interesting question - how would that translate into longer runs. 20% increase in energy efficiency might make a difference over 10000 meters. Thoughts?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Take away his "blades" and give him some wooden pegs. That should make it even, huh? And if he's still TOO fast, well disqualify him, I guess.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Did anyone else see this article in Runner's World http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--12492-0,00.html I would hate to say that anyone without legs has an advantage, but it would seem there is. I'm a slow runner who is looking for a little more speed but I'll look at the more conventional ways to obtain it.
              I'm all for giving people a chance to compete, but I think these carbon fiber blades give him an unfair advantage based on the IAAF's initial findings. Here's another question: If he wins a gold medal, are other athletes going to start amputating their legs so they can use the blades too?
              Yes, I am sure you will see mass amputations by elite athletes. He was so lucky to be born without fibulas. We can only dream of such fortune.

jules2

Its a bit like the test for witches, throw them in a pond, if they are innocent they will drown if they float they are guilty and we burn them. Personally I don't think he should compete.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Yes, I am sure you will see mass amputations by elite athletes. He was so lucky to be born without fibulas. We can only dream of such fortune.
                  I never said he was lucky to be born without fibulas. It is very unfortunate and I'm sure he would rather have them then have to go through all this just to compete. He has a different set of advantages and disadvantages then the rest of us because of his situation. Here's a question: What happens if he starts setting world records and winning olympic gold medals, are people still going to stand behind him and claim he has no advantage?

Ostrich runner

As much as the energy transfer issue, what strikes me is the difference in leg weight. I'm far from qualified to really analyze the data here, but I am not filled with confidence that the analysis thus far has been exhaustive. I do wonder whether we're facing a slippery slope here, but I hope for Pistorious and the sport that the decision was correct.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

It was studied by experts who determined it was big advantage for him. He is an exceptional runner but he shouldn't be an exception to the rules. Where does it stop? if the idea is to give everyone and equal chance to compete what are there qualifications and why don't slow runners get a head start or a cycle to ride? People without great genes should be permitted to use preformance inhencing drugs?

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

jules2

We are moving to an all inclusive society where everybody can do everything. Personally It scares the s**t out of me as where do we stop, a blind surgeon?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

It was studied by experts who determined it was big advantage for him. He is an exceptional runner but he shouldn't be an exception to the rules. Where does it stop? if the idea is to give everyone and equal chance to compete what are there qualifications and why don't slow runners get a head start or a cycle to ride? People without great genes should be permitted to use preformance inhencing drugs?
                          What about spelling enhancing drugs? And you have the study wrong.
                          Lane

What about spelling enhancing drugs? And you have the study wrong.
                            Look. Pointing out somebody's spelling mistake is pretty petty in a thread like this. This is clearly an emotional topic, and nothing in your post is helping to state your opinion or clear anything up. Why don't you cite a study, instead of just stating that Sarge is wrong?
                              Look. Pointing out somebody's spelling mistake is pretty petty in a thread like this. This is clearly an emotional topic, and nothing in your post is helping to state your opinion or clear anything up. Why don't you cite a study, instead of just stating that Sarge is wrong?
                              Citing that someone is petty is "petty". What did you add? Nada! BTW, kids should be seen, not heard. Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

What about spelling enhancing drugs?
                                Wow... thought this was LetsRun for a second there.