Garmin 310x Communicator (Read 1502 times)

lagwagon

Thanks Stig,

I got mine working again by removing USB dongle, removing the device from ANT agent, stopping and restarting ANT agent, replacing dongle (different port just in case the hub was a problem) and re-pairing the device.  It took an hour to re-import all my workouts, but RA correctly imported just the 2 new ones.

Happy to not lose data. Glad to hear your fix worked as well, it was probably my last line of defense as well.

I did the steps above with the watch and a new load of ANT on my husband's computer and all is well! Thanks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Eric

I'm hyjacking this thread as I am now having problems uploading from my 310xt to RA. When I click and try to upload from devide, RA starts searching for new workouts but does not find any. I can navigate out and upload from file just fine using the .fit format, but just not from device.

I've tried the soft reset procedures and nothing changed. I checked to see if the communicator recognizes my watch and and that was fine. I've pulled the Ant Stick, slosed the Ant agent and restarted it, nothing happened. My watch downloads to the Ant Agent just fine also. If I toggle off the "find new workouts" or whatever it actually reads from the import screen, I get all the files from the Ant Agent (95 in total I think) and it will start to upload them, but I cancelled the operation before it finished as I really didn't want to try and delete the 90+ that were not new workouts. 

Oh yea, this didn't start happening until I posted to this thread and Hstreet put some sort of voo-doo are something my way.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

eric :)

Burnt Toast,

Have you tried what alevansal has suggested?

Burnt Toast,

Have you tried what alevansal has suggested?

I tried that and nothing changed.

I can get my workouts downloaded to the computer with no problems. The problem that I have ie RA does not find new activities even though new activities exist in the Garmin device folder. I can upload the file manually without a problem. I have installed the a fresh install of the Ant Agent software on a netbook and the same problem exists. RA does not recognize newworkouts.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

kcam

Garmin 310 Xcommunicator 

carry on

I tried that and nothing changed.

I can get my workouts downloaded to the computer with no problems. The problem that I have ie RA does not find new activities even though new activities exist in the Garmin device folder. I can upload the file manually without a problem. I have installed the a fresh install of the Ant Agent software on a netbook and the same problem exists. RA does not recognize newworkouts.

The downloading of workouts to your computer uses a different mechanism.  RA cannot access your computer directly.  This is a security restriction imposed by the browser to prevent malicious websites from destroying your computer.  This is why you have to install the Garmin Communicator, which is a browser plugin that can access your computer.  If you have a watch that uses the Ant Agent, it gets more complicated.

RA would ask the Communicator plugin for a list of workouts.  The plugin would in turn ask the Ant Agent for this list.  For whatever reason, the Agent reports back that there are no new workouts, which is why RA thinks you have no new workouts.  I don't have an Ant Agent watch so I don't have any experience with this problem.  I won't be surprised if there's some special code in the Communicator that allows it to work properly with Garmin Connect and not third party sites.

Eric

I'm not sure how Strava is doing it, but I have no problems uploading my workouts to their site after the Ant Agent pulls them from the watch and stores them.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I don't know why Strava doesn't have this problem.  I know that the Garmin Communicator remembers which sites you've visited.  It doesn't prompt you to grant access to a particular page after you've allowed access.  Try deleting the Ant Agent data folder in your Users and Documents folder.  It's very likely that when you unpair/uninstall the Ant Agent that this information is not removed.

alevansal

I don't know why Strava doesn't have this problem.  I know that the Garmin Communicator remembers which sites you've visited.  It doesn't prompt you to grant access to a particular page after you've allowed access.  Try deleting the Ant Agent data folder in your Users and Documents folder.  It's very likely that when you unpair/uninstall the Ant Agent that this information is not removed.

Eric, you are correct.  The uninstall for the ant agent actually leaves quite a lot of debris.  It took me a bit to find everything and get rid of it before reinstalling.

Eric, you are correct.  The uninstall for the ant agent actually leaves quite a lot of debris.  It took me a bit to find everything and get rid of it before reinstalling.

Can you list everything that needs to be removed and where to find it?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

alevansal

Make sure you have your options in Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders and do a search for the word Garmin.  If you have other Garmin devices, (GPS for you car, for example), you'll want to be careful not to delete items pertaining to those.  I also removed the keys from the registry.  You'll want to make a back up of the registry before you do that. 

Since the problem doesn't seem to be with Running Ahead, searching Garmin's forums is probably going to net you more answers than here.  I did find the following thread in the Garmin forums quite helpful:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?21899-310xt-ANT-agent-doesn-t-transfer-data-automatically

lagwagon

one option I've had good success with in similar circumstances is Revo Uninstaller (its shareware, but has a free trial iirc).  Pick the "nuclear" option or whatever the most thorough choice is.  sometimes a little slow, but it will leave no remnants behind.

PS I see I thanked "stig" above, but recognize it was actually alevansal who i should have replied to.  thanks again, alevansal!

The thing that seems strange to me is that I also loaded the Ant Agent on my daughters netbook that never had anything Garmin on it before and that still could not get RA to upload new workouts from device, only from file.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Imminent Catastrophe

My 310XT is acting up too. RA detects the 405 but won't detect the 310XT. The Garmin test page doesn't detect it either, although I've unpaired/paired it and reset it. Any ideas?

MTA:  OK after doing multiple resets and restarts it seems to be working again. Persistence pays.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016