new shoe (Read 521 times)

Time for me to get a new pari of shoes.What are some suggestions? I currently wear Nike Reax and they are pretty good but I'm open to something new.
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
      If it aint broke don't break it... It can get expensive to buy a shoe have it feel great for a test drive in the store... and for a few runs to find out he shoe isn't right for your feet and have pain... and have to toss the shoes in the back of your closet... $80 down the drain.... On the other hand... accepting ... just ok... is another thing. Here is my experience with shoes... 1.) New Balance 1220 (motion control shoe) Had terrible achilles tendon pain in my right leg. didn't particularly love the shoe... but it did fit well. I didn't attribute the achilles pain to the shoe... but upon switching the pain was gone 2.) Asics gell nimbus 8 switched because I went to a running shoe store and tried on a bunch of shoes. This shoe was great for a long time... but my feet are a but oddly shaped and part of my foot (the joint of the pinky toe) was hanging off the edge of the shoe and that caused me problems when I hit the 1/2 marathon distance... (Problems = pain and swelling) 3.) Pearl Izumi Syncro pace II got the shoe because I loved the upper on my trail shoe and the upper on this shoe is very similiar. Very very comfortable. had no problems while running in this shoe. problem... they were worn out after 280 miles... pushed them to 300 4.) Nike Air Pegasus 2006... starting about 70 mile in my left foot swelled up every time I wore them... retired after 80 miles... 5.) Saucony 3D Progrid Triumph 5 ($120 ouch) nice shoe... lasted longer 400 miles... probably could have squeaked a bit more but the cushioning was shot... developed a pain in my left foot because of they way the shoe was constructed... (required some break in...) lasted from about 100 miles to 200... then the last 200 they were ok as long as I was careful with my lacing... clunky ride didn't particularly care for 6.) Found a pair of sycro pace II's on closeout for $55 Loved em... repeat performance got 276 out of them before I started wearing through the heal 7.) Mizuno Wave Rider 11 wanted a contrasting shoe in my rotation. like them the arch is probably a bit too high on the left foot... may witch to a different mizuno model. I have enjoyed these shoes... @ $90 I have gotten my money's worth out of them. I figure I can run another 100 miles in the ones I got which are still at 300 now... but they are too breathable for the winter... 8.) Pearl Izumi Syncro pace II more closeouts at $39... found a lot of them at an outlet store (called around) picked up all they had... I think I have 2 more pair left... Currently have 3 pairs of them in the rotation... plus the mizuno's My point is this... unless you have a good reason to change... stick with it... BUT if you WANT to change... go to a store the caters to runners... and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing...
        Time for me to get a new pari of shoes.What are some suggestions? I currently wear Nike Reax and they are pretty good but I'm open to something new.
        Just go to a running store. I used to always wear New Balance, and never knew the difference... Until I went to a running store where I had to run for them: barefoot, with my shoes on, etc. They looked at my tread wear on my shoe, and I ended up needing a neutral shoe, not a stability one.

- Anya