Why Do Some Races Cost So Much (Read 2463 times)

Race medals - I wear it all day after the race. Great way to get free drinks. It used to be a great way to start a conversation with the ladies at the bar, too. I don't usually put them on after that, though. One of these days I'll come up with a way to display them in my office. Right now they all just hang in a jangle off of the corner of one of my bookshelves.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

~Gordo~

If you don't want to keep your medals, check out this link. http://www.medals4mettle.org/ I think it is a great way to give something back to those who may never be able to actually run a running race. ~Gordo
      !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
      kcam

Gordo, that is awesome! Thanks so much for posting the web site. I have 23 to give them - always thought it would be cool to donate them to one of the Fun Runs that they put on for kids - I was gonna wait until I had a couple hundred, though. Wink

A Saucy Wench

Race fees now have a new perspective for me. dh does kart racing and the season just started. This means lots of Sundays where he is gone from 5 am to 7 pm... last year I was only running 4 days so I could make it work. This year ...no dammit, I am NOT going to cut back my running heading into racing season. Today I am hiring a babysitter while I take my long run. My guess is that when all is said and done it will cost me $25 to run by myself on a slow run. Sheesh. This could get expensive by fall.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

Thanks for the kind words JK.

For the example of the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon, which costs runners $60 $70, here is what we pay, using milkbaby's list and for about 200 registrants.

shirts - Tech shirt $25 each (includes runner's name), second cotton shirt $4 each

medals - $7 each

police - $600 overall (~$3 per runner)

medical staff - volunteers now $500 (~$2 per runner)

portable toilets - $300 (~$1.50 per runner)

city permits - $350 for park, $275 for beer board (~$3 per runner)

food and drink - $200 + loads of pot luck donated (~$1 per runner)

advertising - none

timing - volunteer now $500 (~$2 per runner)

course design and layout - my spare time

awards - $200 or so (~$1 per runner)

race expo space - donated

bibs - $1 per runner

posters, other swag - a couple hundred dollars

There are other costs, but I cannot remember them off the top of my head. But just this above comes to about $50 per person. And we have minimal police needs, no road closures and no bands, etc. I think the actual cost to us per runner was about $54 in 2007. So for our little bitty race we have loads of volunteers and donated goods and still pump up to $60 $70.

I wish it could be free. But to be free or lower, we'd need a bunch of sponsors. We have great sponsors donating goods, but to get a big sponsor to underwrite portions of the race would mean putting their name on it and losing some of the grassroots feel we seek. Our goal is to have a small, non-corporate feel and to break even, so we have avoided major sponsorship thus far. We also like to keep a bit extra to provide as a donation to the park that supports the race, which is why we end up with the $60 $70 fee.  But a $0 fee is appealing...

We could drop the price substantially by eliminating the tech shirt, some of the free swag and the wooden medal. A $25 registration fee IS appealing. But we have asked and everybody tells us that they want the shirt and medal. Of course, we could have a swag-free registration category, but that adds to the administrative burden. For big races that have to close loads of roads, pay for big expos and police and food, etc, and also make a profit, it does not surprise me that the race costs loads more.

And for something that takes weeks to years of training, and hundreds or thousands of dollars in travel and equipment over that period and for your goal race, what is $100? Or so many race organizers think. And the big races have a bunch of sponsors which increase the bottom line, but also help pay for all the extra costs that big city races have to deal with.

[modified to update cost info, 2011]

Yeah, but can I sign up through an Active affiliate?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One day, I hope you can sign up here.

#artbydmcbride

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep.  Through sponsorship.  That is one way to do it.  But it is kinda a sellout way. 

And this - Fees: $50 Refundable Deposit.  I have thought about that approach.  Charge everybody a boatload, and then refund those who show up and finish.  Some of that boatload could be offset by sponsors or donors.

"run" "2" "eat"

ternt -- define: finish.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

xor

Also, if I say I ran the race 4 times, can I make money?

Imminent Catastrophe

shirts - Tech shirt $25 each (includes runner's name), second cotton shirt $4 each

I like the shirt. But, $4 for a cotton shirt? What Chinese sweatshop toddlers are making those?

medals - $7 each

Monkey Medal? Priceless.

police - $600 overall (~$3 per runner)

I'm not going to do anything illegal so I don't need no Po-lice, man.

medical staff - volunteers now $500 (~$2 per runner)

I'm not going to need any medical attention. I can dress flying monkey headwounds myself. 

portable toilets - $300 (~$1.50 per runner)

I plan to poop in the woods.

city permits - $350 for park, $275 for beer board (~$3 per runner)

Beer. Worth every cent. Don't you dare cut corners on beer.

food and drink - $200 + loads of pot luck donated (~$1 per runner)

So long as it's locally grown, it's all good.

advertising - none

Well, if you fill in 32 minutes you don't need advertising, do you?

timing - volunteer now $500 (~$2 per runner)

I have a watch. Just use the honor system (except for ex-Maniac #2036)

course design and layout - my spare time

Hopefully that is tax-deductable.

awards - $200 or so (~$1 per runner)

I will never, ever be eligible for an award so as far as I am concerned, you can eliminate that. Because it's all about me. 

race expo space - donated

I've been to your expo and it's worth every penny.

bibs - $1 per runner

Just buy a magic marker and write the number on our foreheads. 

posters, other swag - a couple hundred dollars

Posters? 

So there ya go, I just saved runners a whole bunch.

But seriously, the idea of registration insurance has merit. A European marathon offered this for £5 or £10, I can't remember which. It was an option when you registered, and if you had paid for it and had to subsequently withdraw, you would get your entry fee refunded. Obviously that's an additional administrative burden for the RD but it's more fair than the present "no refunds for any reason" system. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, the cops are there because we have beer and because Dopple Bock will be there. 

xor

Also I have a reputation for starting fights.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, the cops are there because we have beer and because srlopez will be there.

xor

It's go time.  Meet me on a message board.