Dress Shoes (Read 2253 times)

ud32

I usually have to wear a suit and tie to work, so my shoes are typically nice dress shoes that are not very supportive or comfortable. Anyone have any suggestions for men's dress shoes that are comfortable and supportive that can be worn with a suit and tie ?

Menace to Sobriety

You might try some different kinds of insert or arch supports in your current shoes, or pony up for some custom made shoes. Expensive dress shoes can be very comfortable, but they are......expensive.

Count your blessings, at least you have some flexiblity on choice.  I work in an industrial environment and have to wear steel toed shoes and I have yet to find any that are comfortable.

Good luck.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

mikeymike

Cole Haan.

Runners run

AXes

Ecco.   Like Craig mentioned, expensive..but once I tried them on I was hooked.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

ud32

Will have to head to the store and try them out.
              Hushy Puppy Network.  They fit me like a glove.  Plus you get to make your wife laugh when you ask for them with a straight face. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Cool Jump Suit

I have a comfortable pair of Sketches' dress shoes.

So bittersweet,
                This tragedy
                Won't ask for absolution;
                This melody,
                Inside of me,
                Still searches for solution.
                A twist of faith,
                A change of heart
                Cures my infatuation.
                A broken heart, 
                Provides the spark
                For my determination.

Cole Haan.

Those smell great. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just the opposite question here: anybody know of any dress shoes that would qualify as minimalist shoes (and look good)?

what are lions?

woman's op on shoes (if you guys don't mind- and jokes welcome)...hubby walks quite a bit (nyc), so i try to get him the most comfy, but durable, all-weather dress shoes i can find (was trial/error for awhile.) most often, he likes cole haan- as some of you have expressed a pref for (tho i'm sure he'd have no clue as to the brand if asked.) other fav's are campers (more casual), and pikolinos (more 'euro,' and pricey.) 

most of my male friends who work in the city claim that mephisto's are the most comfy, but they are $$ (imo.)  tho not quite on the order of designer; eg, oj simpson's bruno's (um, the shoes, at least, are innocent. and classy.)

less expensive, but still good: kenneth cole, geox, clarks (bostonians), and johnston-murphy.

minimalist? the only ones i can think of may be 'earth shoes'. or (j/k) birkenstocks.

Scout7

Just the opposite question here: anybody know of any dress shoes that would qualify as minimalist shoes (and look good)?

What do you mean by minimalist?  They all have a slightly raised heel, but trust me, not all of those heels are made of soft, cushy material.

I would look at a place like DSW.  They have a very wide selection of shoes, most of them decent quality.  Look for something with leather, as you can polish them better, plus they will stretch and form to your feet more.

For steel-toed boots, I wore Catepillar boots.  Not sure if they still make them or not, but I found them to be comfortable.

mikeymike

I'm not sure about the official definition of minimalist but I would consider most dress shoes a lot more minimalist than most running shoes.  That doesn't mean they're comfortable or good for your feet.  I find that comfort in dress shoes comes much more from how soft the leather is than from the sole.

Runners run

i sacrificed the gift

Allen Edmonds.

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

Mikeymike gets half points though.  The rest of what you guys posted doesn't qualify as dress shoes.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                            Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                            Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

i sacrificed the gift

Expensive dress shoes can be very comfortable, but they are......expensive.

'expensive' dress shoes are often one of the most 'frugal' purchases that you can make.

With proper care, a good pair of dress shoes in the $200-300 dollar range will last 10 or more years, and most will never go out of style.  Yearly re-soles will cost about $35-45 dollars.  Is that really so expensive in the long run?  How many rack room specials would it take to last 10 years.

Not to mention they look 100 times better, and feel 100 times better.

There is no such thing as a cheap haircut and cheap shoes.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                              Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                              Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                              mikeymike

Allen Edmonds.

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

Mikeymike gets half points though.  The rest of what you guys posted doesn't qualify as dress shoes.

You sound like my stepdad.  He's been trying to get me Allen Edmonds for years.  I'll admit I tried some on recently but wound up with another pair of Cole Haans.  To me they weren't any more comfortable and they give off a serious old man vibe for some reason.

But in general I'm with you, good quality dress shoes are one of the best investments you can make.  Plus in terms of being taken seriously your shoes are more important than your suit, your tie, your watch combined.

Runners run