Name on the front of a shirt. (Read 976 times)

My legs are killing me

A reader wrote into Running World magazine this month to ask if, when running a marathon, is it lame for a runner to put his/her name on the front of their shirt. What is everyone's opinion on this? Is it cool or lame? I'm running NY this year and I'm not planning on doing it but I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If either of these sound good to you, then it's cool: a) You want spectators to call your name when cheering you on. b) You want to look like a dork.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think it's fine if you don't mind hearing your name from start to finish-some people like that. Personally, if I have someone who is there for my support it makes it hard to know if it's them or not. For me it's a NO. Kathy
          I did the name thing when I ran with Team in Training, but for my second marathon I went incognito. I think if you have on the same jersey or run with a team, it's pretty cool...other than that, it's dorky.
          "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
            This sounds like something I would do. But then, I'm a dork.

Amy

ymmv

if you're fast, experienced, jaded, cool, or don't feel like writing on a shirt, don't do it. i did it for the marine corps marathon. the crowd support was pretty amazing. so many people go out there and spend hours yelling encouragement to the runners going by. lots and lots of kids too. i figure that, from their perspective, its also kind of fun to yell runner's names and get a wave back, or a high five. probably beats hours of yelling 'GO guy in red shirt GO!"
                If you're creative with the name you choose for yourself that day, it could be motivational or fun. Trying to qualify for Boston? You could hear Go Boston! Run Boston, run! You can do it Boston! Think you'll need a kick in the rear toward the end of the race? C'mon Lazyass let's go! Almost there Slug! Looking good Snail! If you don't want to hear it from start to finish, you could tape it to the bottom of your bib and tuck it under, fold it out or tear it off as the situation warrants.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A Saucy Wench

The bibs for the Portland marathon come personalized. Didnt seem to affect me one way or the other

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Well, I'm a dork then. I write stuff on my shirts all the time. Most of my pink shirts say my name in big letters at the top (ROBERT)... and the person I'm running for at the bottom (FOR J-LO). Oddly, many spectators call me J-Lo. Don't worry about what other people think about you. If you want to do it, do it. People will think all kinds of things. If you run a race with spectators, I guarantee you that you'll get more shout-outs with your name (or something like "it's my birthday!" or "Boston bound") than without. If you think you'd like this, go for it. If, however, you like relative peace and quiet, then don't. But if you like relative peace and quiet, you probably aren't considering it anyway.

xor

The bibs for the Portland marathon come personalized. Didnt seem to affect me one way or the other
                      Ah, but if you take the time to hand write something... even if it is the same name as what's on your bib... you might get more shout-outs. Not sure why, but it definitely seems to be true. Also, some races that personalize bibs use really small font. And some use big font. I do know that most of the time, you can get creative with what gets printed on the bib. This is true at Portland.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The bibs and the shirts for the Monkey marathon come personalized. But you'd be foolish to run that one.
                        JakeKnight

JK's Principle of Running # 12: If the average runner spent 1% of the time he spends worrying about what other runners think about what he does or does not do actually running instead of worrying, he'd be a much better runner. Times two if you actually care enough to write to frickin' Runner's World, which real runners claim not to read anyway. (That should be good for a nice elitist prick side thread ...) -------------- Whether its "lame" or not I'll leave up to my intellectual superiors, but from a practical standpoint, I know it works. If you think it'll help you at mile 22 to hear a lot of random strangers yelling: "Go, Bubba Jackson, Go!" well then its a smart thing to do. Spectators seem to lack self-motivation. They crave leadership. Stamping a big "My name is Irma" on your shirt gets them really excited. Especially if you're a dude. Which leads to the next point: lame or not, I declare it decidedly NOT lame if you come up with some witty name to put on your shirt that will sound hilarious when the spectators say it. The current winner, of course, is "Nads." Think about it. You'll get it. By the way, I do know one marathon where the race director puts your name not only on the race shirt but even on your bib!. So unless you feel like bringing a marker and x-ing out your name, you'll be wearing it whether you want to or not. Which is why I'm changing my name to Nads. Of course, that race director is really, really lame. So you may have a point.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Trent appears
                            Missed it by less than a minute.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

What is everyone's opinion on this? Is it cool or lame?
                              I'm okay with it. The name helps the spectators add that personal touch when they cheer you on or make comments such as you're running too slow. Big grin With numbers you get something like "keep it up 540"! I wore my Texas Independence Relay shirt at my last race and someone one cheered me on making reference to it.

Vim

RnR bibs have your name on it. I say go for it. If it adds to your FUN, do it! I think spectators like to see a name to yell out, it adds to their fun too. Clowning around

Jennifer mm#1231