Running Sandals? (Read 4207 times)

Tiefsa

Has anyone ever used running sandals to run some actual miles? I have searched the internet several times and wonder if they really exist? I don't mean run every mile in them, but I read of a runner that won a race in running sandals because of a skin condition that makes shoes feel really bad on her feet. If I could find any information I would like to make a page on my site, tips4running.com Thanks in advance. Take care

Queen of 3rd Place

Huaraches! Barefoot Ted talks about 'em on his blog http://barefootted.com/labels/huaraches.html Interesting read. That might get you started. You're welcome Wink Arla

Ex runner

She isn't going to "win" any races, but I think this may be the woman you were referring to. I saw it on a news clip, she ran the Providence Marathon that I did this Spring. Kate Conklin - Triathlete on fire Looks like you can email her from the blog.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

She isn't going to "win" any races, but I think this may be the woman you were referring to. I saw it on a news clip, she ran the Providence Marathon that I did this Spring. Kate Conklin - Triathlete on fire Looks like you can email her from the blog.
          I saw a story on her on ESPN. She is amazing.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Tiefsa

I emailed Katie Conklin. Hopefully she will reply with some good info. That sounds like an awful affliction. Running is tough enough as it is.
            xor

Has anyone ever used running sandals to run some actual miles? I have searched the internet several times and wonder if they really exist? I don't mean run every mile in them, but I read of a runner that won a race in running sandals because of a skin condition that makes shoes feel really bad on her feet. If I could find any information I would like to make a page on my site, tips4running.com Thanks in advance. Take care
              One of the founding maniacs used to run marathons in Bite Sandals. I know he ran a 2:55ish marathon in them. Several other maniacs have also run marathons in them. And while I'm not completely 'up' on their training, I'm quite sure they put in training miles with them to avoid that whole 'don't do anything new on race day'. Anyway, I guarantee that run-worthy sandals exist.

That sounds like an awful affliction. Running is tough enough as it is.
                No doubt whatsoever, she has to be one seriously determined woman to make it from start to finish when every step hurts. You won't find a Nike swoosh on these, but you might find Goodyear or Michelin. These are old school running "sandals", worn by Maasai warriors from Tanzania running the 2008 London Marathon. Now that is some minimalist footwear.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I have so much love and respect for the Maasai people, those pictures just brought tears to my eyes.
                  You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Certainly Something...

Huaraches! Barefoot Ted talks about 'em on his blog http://barefootted.com/labels/huaraches.html Interesting read. That might get you started. You're welcome Wink Arla
                    I'm totally going to make some.
                    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Barefoot Ted is awesome, if you go check out the Yahoo Barefoot Running forum you'll find him there. He's usually happy to answer questions. And yes, I've run in sandals. My last marathon was in FiveFingers, which are vaguely like sandals.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Certainly Something...

I ordered some jesus sandals last night. Hopefully have them in 2 weeks or so. Will let you know how they go. I was going to make them, but the kit seemed like it was made for smaller feet. The sheet of sole material was only 11" by 9". I wear size 13. So I just traced my foot, put some marks on the paper, and sent it in to BFT.
                        invisibleshoe

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd let people know, I created a new site with instructions for how to make huarache running sandals, as well as supplies for DIY huaraches and custom-made huaraches.

http://www.invisibleshoe.com

Imminent Catastrophe

One of the founding maniacs used to run marathons in Bite Sandals. I know he ran a 2:55ish marathon in them. Several other maniacs have also run marathons in them. And while I'm not completely 'up' on their training, I'm quite sure they put in training miles with them to avoid that whole 'don't do anything new on race day'.Anyway, I guarantee that run-worthy sandals exist.

I did some looking around a few weeks ago and Bite sandals are hard to find. Maybe they aren't making them any more.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Tiefsa

You can find the Bite Sandals by looking at the links on the Running Sandals page on my site.  Two other good running sandals are made by Teva and Keen.