Resting Heart Rate (Read 2572 times)

Shoe

I've never heard shortness of breath associated, slow HR perhaps.  Excessive sleepiness/fatigue, low basal temp are more classic.

If your thyroid is low enough to really lower your HR you probably have other bigger symptoms evident.  I was relatively recently started on a low dose of thyroid medication and while there has been moderate improvement in symptoms my resting HR has not perceptibly changed.  I do know someone who had a really low HR when diagnosed with thyroid disorder but their thyroid was so low that the doc said they should have been dead before they got to the office.

My sister had shortness of breath and low heart rate and was told it was her thyroid.  She had a lot of other symptoms, too, including a large goiter, though. I have no clue when what develops. 

I had fewer symptoms and no shortness of breath.

But a blood test doesn't hurt anything, in any case. 

//her doctor might not have consulted wikipedia Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

//her doctor might not have consulted wikipedia Wink

My point exactly Big grin

And this: yeah, blood tests can hurt.  And I am not just talking about the needle stick.

Shoe

And this: yeah, blood tests can hurt.  And I am not just talking about the needle stick.

Oh! Didn't know that.  Guess they won't be mailing me an honorary MD this year. Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, the major problem is false positives and the cost and risk of following them up.

Some reading -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_positive_paradox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_positive#Type_I_error

Believe

A few years ago (in the late 90's) when I was really running and very physically fit I had palpitations.  That is nothing uncommon for me because caffeine can send me through the roof, but I decided to have the good old treadmill test anyway.  When I got there I was hooked up waiting to start walking and as I sat there I looked and my heart rate was 45.  I was alarmed but the tech assured me that I had nothing to worry about.  I went on to break the treadmill and have been fine ever since, so you never know.  The heart is nothing to take lightly so whatever the doc orders could be a good thing.  At least they care enough to look into it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I went on to break the treadmill ...

Well done.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.