Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

Screw U.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Scout7

Screw U.
      Sorry, I'm not Thunder, I don't swing like he does.
      mikeymike

Screw U.
        I haven't heard of that one. Is that a Big 10 11 school?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

What do you think?
          I think proper elbow angle is a fundamental problem in training that has yet to be fully explored. I account much of my modest running success to the angle at which I hold my elbows. But proper elbow angle is difficult to extrapolate from one runner to another because proper elbow angle varies, of course, from pace to pace and from person to person. So I say basically you oughta angle your elbows by feel. What I do know is that spending more time with my elbows properly angled and really focusing on that during my run is something that has really brought me excellent results. I would recommend most runners to think carefully about the position in which they hold their elbows and also to try out different elbow angles from time to time. Be an experimentalist! Good luck!
            Who's Thunder?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

MrH

I think proper elbow angle is a fundamental problem in training that has yet to be fully explored. I account much of my modest running success to the angle at which I hold my elbows. But proper elbow angle is difficult to extrapolate from one runner to another because proper elbow angle varies, of course, from pace to pace and from person to person. So I say basically you oughta angle your elbows by feel. What I do know is that spending more time with my elbows properly angled and really focusing on that during my run is something that has really brought me excellent results. I would recommend most runners to think carefully about the position in which they hold their elbows and also to try out different elbow angles from time to time. Be an experimentalist! Good luck!
              I think you are over analyzing this. A good tip is if you run along city streets you should look at your reflection in windows to determine if your posture looks natural. That's all you need.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

That's what bothers me about the man in pink. I don't get his thinking that something is wrong with his arm carriage.

Ricky

bhearn

That's what bothers me about the man in pink. I don't get his thinking that something is wrong with his arm carriage.
                  Run a long race without relaxed arms, and you'll quickly learn not to. My arms were incredibly sore after my first half marathon -- more sore than my legs.
                    Run a long race without relaxed arms, and you'll quickly learn not to. My arms were incredibly sore after my first half marathon -- more sore than my legs.
                    How so? What do you mean - relaxed? Running relaxed is key to my ability of running faster with less stress. So I've been told, so I believe.

Ricky

mikeymike

I think he's determined that running too long on a treadmill forces him to run with his arms too high for him. I'm assuming he's got good reasons for thinking this since he's run and raced an awful lot of miles with his body and probably knows it pretty well. Probably not worth getting bothered about, pRED. Then again I'm not the man in pink.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I think you are over analyzing this. A good tip is if you run along city streets you should look at your reflection in windows to determine if your posture looks natural. That's all you need.
                        Good point, Richard. This is also a good reason to run on a treadmill in a gym. I always try to pick one that has a mirror close by so that I can watch my elbow angle and make sure that it's at the proper, well, angle. Another thing that makes this discussion so fascinating is that I believe that your elbow should actually move through a RANGE of angles during the running motion. Many--too many--runners run with their elbows completely locked and they have no idea how much time they are losing by doing this. If you go to about 1:42 in this video, you'll see some great examples of elbow angle. Note that the elbows of the runners tend to move through approximately 4-5 degrees in theri matural running motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLg4j4gMzqA
                          I can't keep up with all this snarky shit. I'm gonna go run. Y'all have fun with this. More and more I see this place is a waste of running time! Run a lot, mostly easy, some hard, and don't worry WTF you look like doing it cause we ain't getting style points!

Ricky

mikeymike

Good point, Richard. This is also a good reason to run on a treadmill in a gym. I always try to pick one that has a mirror close by so that I can watch my elbow angle and make sure that it's at the proper, well, angle. Another thing that makes this discussion so fascinating is that I believe that your elbow should actually move through a RANGE of angles during the running motion. Many--too many--runners run with their elbows completely locked and they have no idea how much time they are losing by doing this. If you go to about 1:42 in this video, you'll see some great examples of elbow angle. Note that the elbows of the runners tend to move through approximately 4-5 degrees in theri matural running motion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLg4j4gMzqA
                            Well said my brother. I like to imagine my forearm is that little bar on the wheels of an old fashioned locomotive and keep my hand relatively steady on the same plane and move it forward and back while my elbow makes and elipse type pattern. I also, occasionally, will let out a little, "Chooo, chooo!!" as I run along, to remind myself of the choo, choo train motif that I'm going for. Of course I make sure nobody is around before I do this.

Runners run

MrH

Good point, Richard. This is also a good reason to run on a treadmill in a gym. I always try to pick one that has a mirror close by so that I can watch my elbow angle and make sure that it's at the proper, well, angle.
                              A rule we strictly enforce with our track team is when the sprinters are doing a 20+mile treadmill run to bring a protractor along so that they can correct between their indoor and outdoor arm angle taking into account the incline of the treadmill. My running tips newsletter has more, such as "Don't get run over by a car if you run outside" and "Don't take the medicine ball on a long run".

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

A rule we strictly enforce with our track team is when the sprinters are doing a 20+mile treadmill run to bring a protractor along so that they can correct between their indoor and outdoor arm angle taking into account the incline of the treadmill. My running tips newsletter has more, such as "Don't get run over by a car if you run outside" and "Don't take the medicine ball on a long run".
                                Very good. Big grin

Ricky