Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

Why is it sideways?

I can't keep up with all this snarky shit. I'm gonna go run. Y'all have fun with this. More and more I see this place is a waste of running time! Run a lot, mostly easy, some hard, and don't worry WTF you look like doing it cause we ain't getting style points!
    Have a good one, pRED. See you at the Zoo run?
      Have a good one, pRED. See you at the Zoo run?
      Yes, but as a volunteer. You paying that godawful price? I thought about suggesting over there a boycott!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Why is it sideways?

Yes, but as a volunteer. You paying that godawful price? I thought about suggesting over there a boycott!
        Yeah but you get to see the giraffes and stuff.
        xor

Damn, guys. All I was saying was that with my arms up like a chicken for hours, they were sore afterwards. And I only started doing that after a bunch of chunks of my hand and wrist got nicked by the treadmill. I wasn't trying to say anything about style, efficiency, or whatever. (and slouching is bad. Heck, I recently learned that some folks have to look more than 2 football fields away to not feel a slouch.) MTA: I forgot to write "MTA" last time. I go away for a run and this is what happens. And I wasn't even on a treadmill.

Why is it sideways?

It's Friday. Forgive us.

Imminent Catastrophe

And 3000 ft "destroyed" you? I live at sea level. I don't feel bothered by altitude until 5000-6000 and only felt destroyed at Leadville, which was 10k-12k.
              And besides that, Charlotte is at 750 ft. elevation. Nowhere close to 3000, not even the surrounding hills.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

And besides that, Charlotte is at 750 ft. elevation. Nowhere close to 3000, not even the surrounding hills.
                yeah, he 'splained that... I misunderstood or misunderestimated. He meant elevation gain along the course. Charlotte is roly poly.

Imminent Catastrophe

My bad. I missed that. MTA: five pages is just too much for me to wade through.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

My bad. I missed that.
                    Is ok. You misunderestimated too. So could a 767 or 37 skip across the water like the A320 did?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you bungee the stroller to the treadmill frame, your kids could nap on the treadmill. Might not be room left for you, though.
                      hehehe

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

So could a 767 or 37 skip across the water like the A320 did?
                        Dunno. Don't want to find out. But Boeing makes a solid airplane. It might not float so long.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok after the little side conversion we can get back to the real topic. Treadmill training. Some of you said that running on a treadmill was harder than running outside. I didn't believe you until this morning. I got to the gym at about 6:10 AM and I started running at about 6:20 AM. I had about 8 Plasma TVs in front of me and I was the only one in the huge gym. I put the treadmill at 7:13 per mile pace and zero incline. I really just wanted to burn that pace into my memory because that is what I will need at Myrtle. I had my heart rate monitor on and it was actually staying below 170 which is right where I wanted it. I was cruising right along until out of no where the treadmill went into cool down mode. I remembered the article that someone posted yesterday saying the treadmills would only allow 1 hour of running. I looked down and I had done 8.3 miles in 1 hour. Not bad but I was already sweating buckets. I really wasn't prepared for how much the heat and lack of air flow was going to affect me. My body temperature was soaring and my heart rate had started to climb. I took a quick 2 minute break to reload on water and stretch and then I jumped back on the treadmill for hour number 2. This time I couldn't get it down to the 7:15 pace though. Stopping all of a sudden like that took a lot out of me. I had to slowly back my pace down until I reached about a 7:30 pace. I just could not sustain any lower. My heart rate would sky rocket as soon as I would try to go faster. I was content to just hold that pace and try to reach my goal of 20 miles. I stopped again at the half marathon point and reloaded with gels and water. Finally the second hour was finished and the treadmill reset itself again. I had run 15.95 miles in just a little over 2 hours. I just needed 4.05 more miles and now I was bent on doing just that. I got back on and started again. However, this time I really was starting to feel the pain of the heat. I could only manage to get down to an 8 minute mile but I was holding steady at that. Once I reached 2 miles to go I knew I would finish it. I decided to see how much I had left in the tank to gauge whether I could do another 10K. I started slowly increasing the pace 7:45, 7:40, 7:30, 7:20, 7:13, 6:59.....etc. Now I was moving and the miles were ticking off. Before I knew it I had .25 miles to go. I dropped the hammer and set the treadmill to 6 flat pace. Surprisingly, I held that until the end. I stopped and I was a little sore but not really 20 miles in 72 degree stagnant air sore. I stopped my garmin and it read 2:40:13 for 20 miles. The treadmill read 2:34 though. I had taken a few breaks while the treadmill was resetting so it didn't read as much as the watch which ran the whole time. So I guess I can do it. However, that was probably the hardest run I have ever done because of the heat. I normally "SUCK" in the heat(Just look at my 10 mile races) but this time I held my pace better and used the heart rate monitor. That helped a lot. Anyway, thanks for all of the info and encouragement. That gave me what I needed to just finish the run today. I might try it again although I will dread it. However, I think I will stick to outdoor running tomorrow. All of my friends are doing 20 miles in Umstead. I am not sure if I will join them or not. 40 miles in two days is a bit much. By the way: the outdoor temperature was 13 degrees when I got to the gym this morning. Several of my friends did the 20 miles in it anyway! Here is my Garmin heart rate from the treadmill run today. The dips in heart rate were at 8.3, 13.2, and 16.
                          rlemert

I put the treadmill at 7:13 per mile pace and zero incline. I really just wanted to burn that pace into my memory because that is what I will need at Myrtle.
                            I'm somewhat surprised that no one else has commented on this, but it looks like you were trying to run your entire long training run at your planned race pace. I'm not sure that's a very good idea - when are you going to be able to recover? Your "youthful arrogance and naivite'" will mask many training flaws, but something like this can come back to haunt you. I have seen people advocate running part of your long run at marathon pace, but they also typically say it should be no more than maybe a third of your total run. The idea is to challenge your body and get it used to the work load without over-working it. If I'm trying to "lock in a pace" using the treadmill, I'll generally do it on a day when I'm doing my longer intervals. That way I get some intensity and I get used to the pace I want, but I'm still fairly fresh the next day. BTW - Next time you do something like this you might want to check out different treadmills. At the 'Y' where I run most of the 'mills are one-hour time limits, but some of them have two. It doesn't make any difference if people are waiting, but if they aren't it would save you at least one break.
                            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Richard, It was good seeing this weekend. The banquet was fun. Yea actually I was trying to simulate the flat, fast, and sometimes warm Myrtle course. My plan was to run the 7:15 pace on a zero incline as long as my heart rate stayed at a normal level. I was not counting on the heat affecting me as much though so I backed it way down after 1 hour. It is really hard to gauge level of effort on a treadmill. There are so many factors that can affect how well you run on it. When I run outside I run the same course and it is usually just about the same temperature. Trying to recreate those conditions on a treadmill is impossible. Therefore, you have to try to guess what is the equivalent. I think that a 7:40 per mile pace at a zero incline in the 72 degree temp is about the same effort as a 7:15 pace in cooler weather on a flat course outdoors for me. The heat affects me greatly. By the way, I managed to get 37 miles in this weekend. I did 11 miles in Umstead yesterday. I actually felt great after running this weekend. No injuries(Knocks on wood) or even soreness. I bailed on the run this morning though. My wife is sick so I just couldn’t manage to get a run in.
                              sport jester

Biomimeticist

Don't run, walk..... Treadmills are a completely artificial running environment. Multiple studies show that treadmill running biomechanics are completely different than outdoor processess. The belt underneath you is moving instead of stationary, which modifies your foot landing biomechanics, as well as altering your pushoff technique. So use the machine to your best training advantage. The traditional joke of buying a treadmill and allowing it to be an expensive clothes hanger in six months is a biomechanic reality. Why that is true is simple biomechanic fact runners lack to understanding. So I use the joke that you can't learn anything on the street or a running track to be a better treadmill runner. However, to learn the balance skills necessary for being a good treadmill runner will revolutionize your outdoor running skills. Outdoor running is running with momentum. Ever see people in a gym that can't walk or run without hanging on for balance? Did any of them walk up to the machine using a walker for balance assistance? Removing momentum completely strips a runner of masking their running technique efficiency behind forward movement. On the treadmill, every flaw is exposed. So your choice is learning how to walk and run efficiently specifically for the machine, or use the machine to develop stength and endurance rather than the typical "pacifier" perspective utilized by most. With clients, I measure their heart rate at peak running speed. And instead of pushing speed, I utilize treadmill incline. I can put the machine on a 15% incline, and with a walking pace induce a running heart rate stress load. Walking is far less for impact forces for the body to absorb through training. So why not take advantage of that fact? If steep incline is difficult, then light incline and added weight vest can balance speed, incline, and added weight load to induce running heart rate results in the most comfortable environment possible.. So if you can walk at running heart rate for the time duration of any race, the you'll find actual running the race fairly easy to accomplish.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong