Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

If running is your standard, then fine. But if I take your heart rate for any given speed, remove you from the machine and teach you how to run on a treadmill with optimum running biomechanics, needing only a couple of hours to do so, then statistically you will experience a 20% decrease in heart rate for the same speed. I don't ask how fast you run, I ask how much energy do you waste to run that fast? If you "race" then I would hope that your goal is to run faster, or further for the same energy expenditure isn't it? Everybody has the biomechanic skill to run 20% faster. Choosing to learn that skill is usually what few racers want to learn
    Yes please! Can I have some of that 20%? Wait a minute, how are you calculating 20%? Wouldn't that mean that if I run at 185 bpm then you could get me down to 148 in a few hours? Sorry but I don't think that is possible. At 148 I could run for atleast 4 hours. No way I could hold a 6 flat pace for 4 hours no matter what I did. I would be shocked if you could get me to go from 185 to 170 at the same speed without doubling my number of miles.
    sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, here's my story, My 20% decrease in heart rate claim is well documented. What you don't know, because no running coach will tell you is that two distinctly different walking techniques exist, one 20% more efficient than the technique you use when you get out of bed in the morning. How you walk isn't a question for you. It was for me. As running is nothing more than power applied to walking http://www.me.utexas.edu/~neptune/Papers/job39(11).pdf The untold story is that Kenyan women are documented to have created a more efficient walking technique http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm Why you don't know this story is that since no expert in running can explain how they do it, its not discussed. And the running media wants nothing to do with me, which is why I'm sharing it here. I was invited into Nike's Sports Research Lab to demonstrate and under clinical supervision prove that I'm the first person to figure out how these women walk, as well as the physics behind their technique and extrapolate that into running. Their walking efficiency is what I teach and the heart rate improvements are easy.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Scout7

Aren't walking and running two biomechanically different things? This sounds suspicious to me.
        bhearn

Yes the belt is moving and you're not so your body is also amplified in lateral sway (the reason for holding on for balance) which is a byproduct of inefficient walking or running biomechanics.
          I have no problem believing that there are substantial differences between running on a treadmill and running outdoors. However, to say that they are because the belt is moving and you are not is simply nonsense. It was funny the first time, but it seems you're serious. The laws of physics are exactly the same in the coordinate frame of the belt surface as they are in the coordinate frame of the ground. If you can show otherwise, you've got a Nobel prize coming.
          sport jester

Biomimeticist

Then describe for me how your own running technique is different biomechanically than your walking. If I put you on a treadmill, at some point as speed increases, you will have to stop walking and start running. The only biological change is force generation to push your body high enough for both limbs to leave the ground. If I'm wrong, tell me how, or reread the above link to reference.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

bhearn then please tell me why people need to hold on to the supports of a treadmill to walk and run, when on the ground they don't.... If one doesn't walk up to the treadmill with a walker for balance assistance, and on a treadmill one has to hold on for balance, then what changes in walking environment besides the moving belt?

xor

Then describe for me how your own running technique is different biomechanically than your walking.
                When I run, there are times when both of my feet are off the ground at the same time. This never occurs when I am walking. I've always thought of running as controlled hopping and walking as controlled falling. (and trail running as uncontrolled falling. Bomp.) In other news, I still want to know what "ultramarathon pace" is and why it even entered the conversation.

bhearn

bhearn then please tell me why people need to hold on to the supports of a treadmill to walk and run, when on the ground they don't....
                  Well I haven't spent a lot of time on treadmills -- I do anything I can to avoid it -- but I've never had to hold on to the supports. Do people really do that? Anyway the perceptual environment is very different on a treadmill from outdoors, so it's no surprise at all that that could affect posture and gait, regardless of differences such as uniformity of surface, springiness, etc. I might even go so far as to say that perception of stationarity on a treadmill might reasonably be expected to have some effect. But that's a far cry from your suggestion that the differences are literally because in one case you are "moving", and in the other the belt is "moving". That simply doesn't mean anything. The laws of physics don't know or care who is moving and who is not, in an absolute sense.
                  sport jester

Biomimeticist

Running has been described in multiple ways, with one reality. Humans have been running with the exact same biomechanic processes for 3.7 million years. You are correct in describing running as "floating" and walking as maintaining one foot in contact with the ground at all times. Its also true that you have to push your body weight up in both processes to swing your weightless leg forward. How much force you generate in pushoff is your only variable to the equation. Ultramarathons of 50-100 miles are usually accomplished at speeds much lower than for a marathon or shorter distance span. One hundered mile races finish in times of 24 hours or more. One has to be incredibly careful to how a pace is maintained.

Scout7

I've never had to hold onto the rails the few times I've used a treadmill.
                        bhearn then please tell me why people need to hold on to the supports of a treadmill to walk and run, when on the ground they don't....
                        Who holds onto the supports when they are running on a treadmill? That's ridiculous.
                        xor

Ultramarathons of 50-100 miles are usually accomplished at speeds much lower than for a marathon or shorter distance span. One hundered mile races finish in times of 24 hours or more. One has to be incredibly careful to how a pace is maintained.
                          Oh yes, I know. Firsthand, even. Sorry for not being clear. My mention of ultras was for JDF. I had brought up (and then stupidly re-mentioned) my stance on how incline does/doesn't affect running on the treadmill. For a reason I still haven't grasped, "ultramarathon pace" entered into the conversation, which is weird on two levels: 1) the term itself doesn't mean much to me (see the last post on the previous page) and 2) it seemed like a random add to the conversation. Anyway, I believe that running and walking are two biomechanically different activities. And will continue to believe so.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

bhearn In purest of sense you're completely correct to physics. Having researched treadmills and other exercise equipment for decades, the subtle variable is speed resistance. If you're walking on a treadmill at lets say for arguement at .5MPH, since you can walk faster, the belt is forcefully slowing you down. Your foot landing biomechanics will be forcefully altered. At a comfortable walking speed and with the matching belt speed as well with running, then your physics are fully correct. However once the belt surpasses your "comfort" running speed, then the belt is pulling your leg backwards faster than you can push. What changes at that speed point is that your limbs almost relax in force generation to let the belt pull your leg. With belt speed increase, the contact point on the belt allows for a further reach than on the ground. The moving belt removes the limits to overstriding.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

srlopez Read the link to walking and running biomechanics http://www.me.utexas.edu/~neptune/Papers/job39(11).pdf I'll gladly reference questions from it. And please tell me how your personal running technique and walking technique are different. Your body will make changes as your turnover rate increases, but I'm refering specifically to your transition speed from walking to running in this exchange.

xor

And please tell me how your personal running technique and walking technique are different. Your body will make changes as your turnover rate increases, but I'm refering specifically to your transition speed from walking to running in this exchange.
                                No thanks. I have to go run a few miles at ultramarathon pace.