Is running on a treadmill acceptable for a long run? (Read 1406 times)

I didn't say toes dick!. I don't follow shit. I run by feel, and what comes natural in running is too run mid/fore foot. You spoke of biomechanics did you not? It's acquired, poor form to strike the heal first, unless you are walking! There is only a problem (when those that say and profess stupid shit about forefoot running) when they do not allow the heal to strike the ground. That is what is unnatural. In sprinting very short distances, the heal may not touch the ground, but in long distances, one should not attempt denying the heal to land.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

Dude, I was in a meeting or I would have responded sooner. I brought up ultra marathon pace because I thought you were basing your statements on an “ultra marathon” pace since that is what I thought you ran. I took a closer look at your many achievements and although you ran some ultras it looks like most of your insane number of races are marathons. I brought up ultra marathon pace because I believe that pace to be vastly different than even marathon pace. In the ultra marathons I have followed(I have never run one but would love to) a good pace is typically just under 10 minute miles. ... Hey wait a minute, didn’t I read this quote from you a few pages back? “ I restated a position up above. I probably shouldn't have come back in to do that and I will leave it alone.” All in jest man. I think even a spirited conversation is healthy. I appreciate your opinion since you have probably run more long distance races than anyone else I know. I could only dream of running 3 in 3!
      Ok, but for the record... which I will restate from a couple pages ago, because I'd like to see the concept acknowledged.... "ultramarathon" is an umbrella term that describes races of widely varying distances and involving wildly different course types. "just under 10 minute miles" is kind of meaningless (as it applies to a consistent treadmill run) in a technical race and/or a 100 miler... because one's pace will change a lot during such a race. And on nontechnical courses, there are lots of people who will run a 50k ultra at/near MP, but a 50 miler, even a nontechnical one, is a different, slower thing except for a very few fast people. Unlike MP, I've never heard of folks referring to their 'ultramarathon pace'. But now I kind of understand what you mean and why you were applying it to me. For the record, I am a midpack marathoner and "accidental" ultramarathoner. I'm not wired like most of my ultra friends.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

pRed, I fully agree with you. In distance running heel strike is natural. The problem to that fact is the body weight impact forces the heel has to absorb upon landing. Any landing anywhere but the heel puts the foot at risk for Plantar Fasciitis.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok, we get it, running on a treadmill is not exactly bio-mechanically equavalent to running on the ground. But it's close enough. To the OP -- yes, it's ok to do your long run on a treadmill. Not fun, but it won't hurt you as long as you are mindful of small changes to your gait that might occur.
          Yea but the question is actually “Is it helpful” not just is it harmful. After, running the 20 miles on the treadmill last weekend I definitely feel like I am more prepared to run the flat Myrtle beach marathon if the temp is more than 65 degrees. I am probably no more pre-pared to run it if it is 30 degrees though. I am actually considering doing another 20 or 22 this Saturday. It is supposed to be about 34 degrees with heavy rain and wind. I might see those conditions at Myrtle but it is more likely that I will just slip and fall while training in those conditions. Plus it helps to have an exact baseline from the week before. I know exactly how I ran last week so I can try to improve on that this week.
            pRed, I fully agree with you. In distance running heel strike is natural. The problem to that fact is the body weight impact forces the heel has to absorb upon landing. Any landing anywhere but the heel puts the foot at risk for Plantar Fasciitis.
            Wrong sir. Heel strike is only "natural" for walking. Our legs are like a shock absorber when used properly sir. Landing on you heel 'first' denies logic. I bet you love those shoes made for you fools with super-thick heels, huh.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok, but for the record... which I will restate from a couple pages ago, because I'd like to see the concept acknowledged.... "ultramarathon" is an umbrella term that describes races of widely varying distances and involving wildly different course types. "just under 10 minute miles" is kind of meaningless (as it applies to a consistent treadmill run) in a technical race and/or a 100 miler... because one's pace will change a lot during such a race. And on nontechnical courses, there are lots of people who will run a 50k ultra at/near MP, but a 50 miler, even a nontechnical one, is a different, slower thing except for a very few fast people. Unlike MP, I've never heard of folks referring to their 'ultramarathon pace'.
              I was referring to UMP as the pace for 100 miles or greater. That is what I define as an Ultra. I know the typical definition is anything greater than 26.2 but I just think 100 is the benchmark. I wouldn’t expect a 50K to be vastly different from a marathon? A 50 miler definitely but not a 50K.
              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Ok, then a truce....... I use this example; On a treadmill, at peak running speed I can outrun a 12PMH Treadmill, through complete relaxation of my legs and letting them fly. I surely can't do that on the street (Damn.....)
                I can!Wink see picture to the left! And graph below.
                  I wouldn’t expect a 50K to be vastly different from a marathon? A 50 miler definitely but not a 50K.
                  You say this, but you laid down in the fetal position before the completion of your marathon.Roll eyes

Ricky

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

You say this, but you laid down in the fetal position before the completion of your marathon.Roll eyes
                    Absolutely correct sir! And I am sure that I would have laid down in the fetal position in the exact same spot of a 50K. However, I also believe I would have been able to get back up to marathon pace for the last 10k of that 50k. Once I cleared the cramps in the marathon I was able to return to running speed again. Hopefully, I have figured out the things I did wrong then and I will correct them for the next race. I guess I have to just put up or shut up right?
                    xor

I was referring to UMP as the pace for 100 miles or greater. That is what I define as an Ultra. I know the typical definition is anything greater than 26.2 but I just think 100 is the benchmark. I wouldn’t expect a 50K to be vastly different from a marathon? A 50 miler definitely but not a 50K.
                      Oh. See, it would help if you explained your terminology when you use terms (especially applied to others) that mean something different to you than it does to, well, just about everybody else. I agree with your last line. And would have long ago if I had known of your personal precise defn of "ultra". Enjoy your training and your race.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

For reference, I am a heel strike walker and runner. And as a walker I've been documented in a sports lab to walk at 9MPH as a heel strike runner, and at 13.5MPH peak speed as a heel strike runner. Your own running biomechanics is that you hit the ground with an impact force of at least four times your body weight. And yes your legs do absorb that. However, it costs you a significant amount of energy to do so. For myself, I have no impact force weight in walking and with a heel strike running technique, I only hit the ground with an impact force of only 70% of my own body weight. To JDF, As an athlete, I'm 6'3" tall and 200lbs. Which is why running isn't my best sport. Besides, you could run 20% faster with ease anyway...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

jesus h. christ you guys have way too much time on your hands! to the OP, you ran your 20 miles on the treadmill, so let us know how it worked for ya after myrtle. im w/ srlopez on this one though, running outside cant really compare to a treadmill. and no i haven't done a 2 hr run on a treadmill, but running on a flat gravel trail for 16 miles is way different than doing 16 on a hilly road. way different. anyways, continue on w/ your argument over heel strike and the biomechanical effects of whatever while i go outside and run... Roll eyes (im actually not going outside, it just sounded good to put that in...)

Menace to Sobriety

ooo. HUGE tangent
                            I finished up chemo mid Oct 2007. I had some loss of feeling in my fingertips and the metal taste in my mouth as well. Hands are about 95% back to normal now, taste is fine as well. I'm hoping the feet thing will get better with time. For some it does, for some it doesn't, but most say it does lessen. It's mostly just an aggravation, not painful or anything, and it doesn't really bother me to run over the road. It could be worse, some people report actual pain, so I can't complain too much. As a side note, I just had my 2 year CT and blood work......everything is good.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Member Since 2008

I do have to say, this has been a really enjoyable thread, Just one question. I know, I'm not as educated as most of the participants of this thread, but how does a Garmin work on a tread mill?????
                                lol, i would imagine unless you take the treadmill outside it wouldn't get satellite reception? Confused but then i kinda think that would be the point of the whole thing. Yes