NFC Championship (Read 978 times)

I didn't see a problem with the tackle at all. What was he supposed to do, ask him nicely to please put down the ball and take a knee?

Why is it sideways?

The problem was that he had already thrown the ball.

The rule is as follows:

No defensive player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand (15 yards). The Referee must determine whether opponent had a reasonable chance to stop his momentum during an attempt to block the pass or tackle the passer while he still had the ball.

The ref determined that the player could have stopped his momentum. Seems reasonable to assume that Hargrove's momentum didn't require picking Favre up and driving him into the ground.

Prince of Fatness

The ref determined that the player could have stopped his momentum. Seems reasonable to assume that Hargrove's momentum didn't require picking Favre up and driving him into the ground.

I didn't look like he had time to pull up to me, but admittedly I didn't have to make a judgment call in real time like the ref did.  But I'll agree that it's not a secret that they are calling that stuff, so as much as I disagree with the call I'm not surprised by it.

I actually though that the play that Favre injured his ankle and wasn't called was more suspect than the one where the penalty was called.  You'll have this when there are people out there making judgment calls at the snap of a finger.

Not at it at all. 

Jeff

After that play, Joe Buck said there was a rule specifically on the books that prohibited a defensive player from picking up a quarterback and driving him into the ground with his body. I don't know the actaul rule, but your right, that is exactly what the defensive player did. It was spetty clear in the replays, although it is tough to say what the officals saw. Ackman (sp) argued that Favre was falling backwards and was notpicked up, but he's an ass and has hated the Vikes forever.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Why is it sideways?

I didn't look like he had time to pull up to me, but admittedly I didn't have to make a judgment call in real time like the ref did.  But I'll agree that it's not a secret that they are calling that stuff, so as much as I disagree with the call I'm not surprised by it.

I actually though that the play that Favre injured his ankle and wasn't called was more suspect than the one where the penalty was called.  You'll have this when there are people out there making judgment calls at the snap of a finger.

It wasn't a controversial call. It's only because Aikman made such a big deal of it that people are still talking about it. And the reason he made a big deal of it is because he wants to glorify his past when they didn't have the same standards. If Hargrove had bumped him to the ground, it wouldn't have been called. But he picked him up, and put a shoulder into him on the ground. It was a no-brainer.

MTA: BT, exactly.

The ankle injury play is the "Brady Rule". You can not hit the lower legs when the player is engaged by an opposing player high. Thats what happened to Favre.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

Exactly. I thought the Brady rule was to protect the lower legs and that one was far worse than the earlier hit (which I thought was in the flow of the play and not late).

As a ref, its tough to get them all correct but you strive to be consistent. Currently the NFL lacks consistency in applying the rules and it creates too much confusion. Lets hope they let them play in Miami. Hate to see a big game depend solely on some middle aged balding overweight guy with eye sight problems and an penchant for wearing prison garb.

MTA - my spelling sucks

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

L Train

I'm a Vikes fan and I actually agreed with Aikman. He was falling back and had already left his feet.  It just made it look like he was picked up.  This was completely different than what the Sapp rule prohibits in my mind.

Why is it sideways?

Okay, I guess it was controversial, then. These guys know what they are doing with their bodies. That's my take.

L Train

Hate to see a big game depend solely on some middle aged balding overweight guy with eye sight problems

Don't worry, I don't think PH has tickets to the game. 

Prince of Fatness

It wasn't a controversial call. It's only because Aikman made such a big deal of it that people are still talking about it. And the reason he made a big deal of it is because he wants to glorify his past when they didn't have the same standards. If Hargrove had bumped him to the ground, it wouldn't have been called. But he picked him up, and put a shoulder into him on the ground. It was a no-brainer.

MTA: BT, exactly.

It really only matters what the ref thinks anyway.  He's the one that interprets the rules.  He's the one that does or doesn't throw the flag.

I guess that my problem is more with the rule than the tackle.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Okay, I guess it was controversial, then. These guys know what they are doing with their bodies. That's my take.

If I am a coach I live with those plays.  That was not a cheap shot, IMO.  It was bang bang.  I would rather see my guys play hard and suffer the consequences than have them pull up and lose a game that way.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Don't worry, I don't think PH has tickets to the game. 

Dude, I still have most of my hair.  Other than that you got it right.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

While we're at it, I also don't like that any high hit by a safety across the middle seems to draw a 15 yarder now, whether the receiver is hit in the head or not.  Those are my favorite plays.

C-R

While we're at it, I also don't like that any high hit by a safety across the middle seems to draw a 15 yarder now, whether the receiver is hit in the head or not.  Those are my favorite plays.

You must be a Jack Tatum fan.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/