Race Corrals - how do they work in shorter races? (Read 881 times)

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I ran a 5k this morning. Worked my way up to within two meters of the start when, with just a few minutes to go, they put another group of runners ahead of us. I assumed those were just a few elite runners based on fast finishing times. But I ended up passing a much slower runner at about mile two that was in my age group. He ended up finishing third in our 50-54 age group. It got me to wonder how he got so far ahead of me. It's possible he went out fast and I just didn't see him at the start. But, do these shorter races also let potential age group winners into the elite corral? The entry didn't say anything about the corral for elites and it didn't ask for potential finish times like at a marathon. How do they know who to let in?
    mikeymike

I've never seen corrals at a race other than a marathon. Generally your on the honor system to line up where you belong.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Army Ten Miler has corrals. I've not seen that at a 5K though...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

Actually I lied the Falmouth Road Race has corrals and I've run that. It's still a big mess though.

Runners run

There is a 5k race in Tampa that usually has 1500+ runners. They have a special start group upfront for those that have run sub 16 (it might be a little higher but there are around 25-30 in there). That is the only time that I have seen that in a 5k.

Res firma mitescere nescit
            Running in Tampa

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

There is a 5k race in Tampa that usually has 1500+ runners. They have a special start group upfront for those that have run sub 16 (it might be a little higher but there are around 25-30 in there). That is the only time that I have seen that in a 5k.
              This was actually a combined 5k and 10k.
                The CVS 5K in Providence, RI has assigned start corrals. You are placed based on your best 5K time, but the honor system is used in providing your time. I'm sure that some people put down what they think they can do in a 5K, what their goal is for this race or flat out lie to get a good spot. They also have an early elite start, which I'm assuming you have to have a ranking to be placed in.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Right on Hereford...

The Bolder Boulder 10k has 50,000+ runners and 86 different waves. The first 23 waves are "qualifying" waves, and require proof that you've run a qualifying time in the prior year. Qualifying distances can be anywhere from 2 miles to 50k -- they have a chart showing the required times for each distance and wave. They are definitely strict about showing proof. They do not rely on the honor system! I've run every BB since 2002 and this system works extremely well. The qualifying waves are relatively small, so the course never gets too crowded (considering the number of runners), and everyone around you tends to be running at about the same speed. Even if you start at the back of your wave, you will be running at your pace by the time you cross the start line a few seconds later. And it's chip-timed, so there is no worry there, either. Anyway, that's how they do it in my neck of the woods.
                  xor

<tangent> One of the majorly goofy things about the Las Vegas Marathon (and half, same start) in 2007 was that they did corraling... serious corraling and they absolutely would not let anyone into the front corral who had not supplied proof-of-time lower than their qualifying standard. BUT. Into that first corral, they also let in a whole bunch of folks associated with the local running club. Including people of all abilities and a whole lot of walkers. They were instructed to "move to the side, as you can." Goofballs. </tangent>

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Honey, it's VEGAS! It's about who ya know.... I use to be a Marketing Bit** and set up many trade shows in Vegas. Never without a role of $20's and a bag of Snickers Bars. Oddly, I often got things done with Snickers bars. I bet if you paid off the race officials you could get in any corral you want. I'm just being silly, please, no one put a hit out on me...but the trade show story is very true.
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                      xor

Mitch and Pete's Mom called me Honey!

The Beach to Beacon 10k has a local elite corral of about 100-150 runners. About 30 of them are professional athletes, plus any age group winners from the previous year (or 2?) plus anybody that can meet some pretty stiff standards (sub-32 10k, sub-16 5k) - the rest are filled up with local athletes that have a chance of doing really well in the race and aren't decided upon until about a month before hand (registration is 6 months before the race.) The last 2 years, I have gotten to start in the local elite area, and it's a whole different race. I used to start right at the front of the regular corrals, but its a huge advantage of not having to drop your stuff off 30 minutes before the race, not having to stand like a sardine in the corral for 20 minutes before the race, and having a pair of portable johns that are only shared amongst the elite crowd instead of the 10 or 20 that are shared amongst the 5000 other people.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Mitch and Pete's Mom called me Honey!
                            I read your 50 mile race report the other day. You deserve a Honey. Blush
                            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                            JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

The Beach to Beacon 10k has a local elite corral of about 100-150 runners. About 30 of them are professional athletes, plus any age group winners from the previous year (or 2?) plus anybody that can meet some pretty stiff standards (sub-32 10k, sub-16 5k) - the rest are filled up with local athletes that have a chance of doing really well in the race and aren't decided upon until about a month before hand (registration is 6 months before the race.) The last 2 years, I have gotten to start in the local elite area, and it's a whole different race. I used to start right at the front of the regular corrals, but its a huge advantage of not having to drop your stuff off 30 minutes before the race, not having to stand like a sardine in the corral for 20 minutes before the race, and having a pair of portable johns that are only shared amongst the elite crowd instead of the 10 or 20 that are shared amongst the 5000 other people.
                              AHA! That's what I suspected. In the last 5K I ran, I think the last years age group winners were seeded ahead of the crush of normal runners.

325th place or bust!

As someone who has only run a few 5K's here and there - how do you get proof of your time? I think all that I would have would be to look my name up on past results on their web page.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!