Asics GT-2120 replacement (Read 2043 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Hey all,

I finally have gone through my final pair of 2120s and I was wondering if anyone out there had a good place to start for new shoes to try.  Two years ago, it seemed like the consensus was to try the Nimbus.  Is that till a good shoe to try? I tried the 2130s and 2140s and they didn't seem to fit like the 2120s.  Haven't tried the 2150s yet.

Any other recommendations?  I have worn and like Saucony in the past.  There's also a New Balance store that opened up in my area.  Are those worth a shot even though they only sell one brand of shoe?

http://xkcd.com/621/

I'd try the 2150s before you go elsewhere. I'm just into my first pair of them and like them better than both the 2130s & 2140s. I have had a couple of pretty useless forays away from the 21XX line in the last couple of years and have always come back. Good luck!

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Giant Flaming Dork

So got back from the LRS and I have to say I'm surprised.

First of all, the person fitting me said that I the 2120s were the wrong shoe for me.  He said that I have a totally neutral gait and that the 2120s might have been pushing my foot over.  He then said that wearing a shoe that controls pronation when you don't pronate can cause some people to have issues with the outside of their knee.  It turns out, that is exactly my problem area (I didn't mention hat I ever had an issue in this area, but yes, ITBS is common, so that's not a too much of a stretch for him to guess that)

He suggested trying the Nimbus as well as the Cruise from Pearl Izumi and the Mizuno Wave Runner.  I felt like I was fighting the Nimbus, but liked the PI and Mizuno.  I think the Cruise would be a good shoe to have wen I'm 35 pounds lighter and doing some interval training.  The Wave Rider felt almost perfect.

But I have a question - I noticed that it's a very light shoe.  And I'm not a very light guy.  I'm wondering if they are going to wear out prematurely.  Shoedog recommends them for runners up to 180lbs, but then suggests the Wave Creations.

http://xkcd.com/621/

xor

I can't tell you about those shoes, but I *can* tell you that my experience with mizunos (alchemy mostly, some inspire, some nirvana) is that they do indeed wear out faster.  But that's just my experience and ymmv.