Long run went south.... (Read 786 times)

...............or somewhere, because it and I had totally different plans for this morning! Started out on a scheduled 15 miler this morning, and by mile 2.5, I knew it just wasn`t going to happen. Thought about HTFU, but if running over the years has taught me anything, it has taught me to listen to my body. Today my body was telling me that I am generally tired, heavy legged, and have an evelated heart rate. So, I settled for an 8 miler in 49 degree temps and with wind gusts to about 45 mph. (That headwind was like doing hillwork!) We have ice on the way for tonight and then off and on the rest of the week. Hopefully, I can get some rest in this week, back off a few days, and then be ready to make it up next Sunday. I sincerely hope that everyone else who goes long on Suday morning, had better results! Smile
    "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
      You live in Arkansas. do you know what i would do for 49 degree temps? it is going to be 12 tomorrow. htfu.
        Oh yeah. The temp was right on. It was my body today that just wasn`t cooperating. We too are supposed to experience a 30 degree drop in temps over the next 24 hrs. In fact, it is already down to 39. I don`t know when we`ll see 49 again. I don`t HTFU when my body is telling me no. It has always spelled disaster, or injury, in the past. Are you in the Chicago area? If so, what part? I have lot`s of family up there.

Member Since 2008

I hoped out of bed around 3:00 pm (night shfit worker) got dressed for my long run and about a half a mile into it I realized there was nearly six inches of snow on the ground and it was -3 degrees. Got in a little over nine miles, turned out to be a very comfortable run. Guess cause I didn't realized the temperature or condictions and did not give myself a chance to sike myself out.
          Slo

...............or somewhere, because it and I had totally different plans for this morning! Started out on a scheduled 15 miler this morning, and by mile 2.5, I knew it just wasn`t going to happen. Thought about HTFU, but if running over the years has taught me anything, it has taught me to listen to my body. Today my body was telling me that I am generally tired, heavy legged, and have an evelated heart rate. So, I settled for an 8 miler in 49 degree temps and with wind gusts to about 45 mph. (That headwind was like doing hillwork!) We have ice on the way for tonight and then off and on the rest of the week. Hopefully, I can get some rest in this week, back off a few days, and then be ready to make it up next Sunday. I sincerely hope that everyone else who goes long on Suday morning, had better results! Smile
            Let me start by Clarifying a few things. I ain't calling anyone a wuss, I ain't saying nobody did anything wrong. I'm just saying...."This is how I'd approach it" Having just one day where I'm feeling a little off would not signify to me that I need a rest. Now, in the two days prior you A) Did some intervals and B) did a race. Even though you said you held back you still did a hard effort. I would expect to feel a little tired.....but not in a position where I would be pushing injury. I would have HTFU'd it. At 2.5 miles I would not have made the decision to shorten it. I would have gotten to within 80%.....Then made the decision but once your at 80%....hell you might as well finish at that point. Big grin Two off days in a row......Now I'll look, question, back off. The elevated heart rate could be easily explained by the wind.....it makes a HUGE difference. Again, that's just me.....personally, being human, I think we all have a tendency to talk ourselves down. Trust me, I've bagged my share of workouts !
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

You live in Arkansas. do you know what i would do for 49 degree temps? it is going to be 12 tomorrow. htfu.
              Excuse me, wind gusting to 45 mph?? I don't think I would jump on him that much, and I live in Maine.
              Ringmaster

It's too bad you can't come south too . . . I shirked the bridge part of my long run on Saturday because it was in the low 50s and windy. Bet you'd have loved that! Here's sending some warm thoughts your way.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Now, in the two days prior you A) Did some intervals and B) did a race. Even though you said you held back you still did a hard effort. Point well taken. But I should clarify that A.) the intervals were hardly what I call "intervals". I`m following one of Higdon`s marathon training plans. Those "Intervals" are at like 7:50 to 8:00 minute pace. The intervals that I`m used to doing are at like 6:10 pace or below for 400 meters. So 12 of those should not have left me with dead legs. B.) I did run a "race", but I ran it in 26:48. My normal 5-K time is around 20:10. Again, an effort I could do without even breaking a sweat. It was a "Jingle Bell" run that I always do because I support the Arthritis foundation. That is where I don`t agree with the graphs on the training log. Sometimes things are not what they appear. I`m just saying that I did not have "it" yesterday. My elevated heartrate was on the out portion of my loop, where having a tailwind shouldn`t have increased its workload. In addition, I failed to mention in that first post that those "intervals" which were ran on Friday, were a lot more taxing than they should have been. All of these things just simply add up to fatigue, or one of those days we all have every now and then that we can never explain. I was just a little discouraged when I got home, and felt that I would vent.
                  Slo

You can never be to careful.......esp when your training for a Marathon. There's nothing worse than being side-lined for 2 to 3 weeks or even longer because of an injury. When your fatigued your open for injury. I guess that is what I always question. Am I really fatigued or am I letting my mind get the better of me? Thus the 2 day rule. Rarely do I feel tired 2 days back to back. I can feel for your need to vent. When I focus on an "A" race and I get in training mode I become one anal human being. Completely driven by the training schedule. Do you feel like you need to go make your long run up? I know that is how I end up feeling......like if I don't then my final performance is going to suffer because I'm 7 miles off from where my training says I should be. Combine that with not having the time to train at the levels you once did, doing what you can just to hold onto what you got........geesh, I'm bummin myself out here. I guess thats why every workout is so important to me. Thru my entire history of running I've been able to stay pretty much injury free. I think triathlon has helped with that too. It forces me to drop the run and hop on the bike.....Swimming is really strarting to become my new run too. Good luck with the Marathon...... I've pasted this here before but I think it is appropriate for your post. "If you over trained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training...So you weren't over trained; you were actually under trained to begin with..." (Hillary Biscay) Ironman Freak-
                      "If you over trained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training...So you weren't over trained; you were actually under trained to begin with..." (Hillary Biscay) Ironman Freak- I like it! Big grin
                      xor

When my long run goes south, I wind up in Tacoma.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Again, that's just me.....personally, being human, I think we all have a tendency to talk ourselves down. Trust me, I've bagged my share of workouts !
                          I've noticed there is also a different set of us who have difficulty letting ourselves go easy or backing off and avoiding injury, because we always want to push, even when we shouldn't. It's almost like there are two camps -- the ones you speak of, who find it easier to skip/bag/slack off, and the ones I speak of, who find it easier to run hard again instead of taking the appropriate recovery. If only we could all take half of each side and wind up in the middle, getting out for lots of workouts but not injuring so much... But, as you say, we're human, and therefore prone to laziness, stupidity, or often both Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

One word, salvage. Write off workouts like that and write in a new plan on the fly. Chalk it off as a stamina run, hill simulation or a recovery run if ran slowly. It's too easy to get irrational in thinking and emotionally nutty. Runners tend to get neurotuc about these situations rather than looking at it for what it really is. The body is simply telling you it is no shape to meet the demands. You may need a sabbatical because of a slight overtraining, maybe low in protein stores, perhaps an anemic situation,lack of sleep, etc.. If you dont have a tiger in your tank then purr on with the kittens.