Blu Ray or HD? (Read 888 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Discuss.

(For my parents, who are looking. Me, I ain't got no HDTV.)
      Discuss.

(For my parents, who are looking. Me, I ain't got no HDTV.)

Pretty good summation. My only recommendation is to choose the most likely market winner, not the better technology. But, if you only rent movies and don't buy a lot of them, then go with the  better technology. You don't have to worry much about obsolescence since you won't have a whole library of movies you can't play anymore.

The shirtless wonder

Blu Ray is an HD format...  So what's your question?

Do you mean HD DVD?  I believe the backers of HD DVD abandoned the format and ceded victory (sadly) to the Blu Ray camp.

Do you mean HD DVD?  I believe the backers of HD DVD abandoned the format and ceded victory (sadly) to the Blu Ray camp.

Ah. I need to keep pace. The Lost Gladiator is correct.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for this.  That summation answered a couple questions I have had.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you're asking about HD-DVD, buying that makes about as much sense as buying a Betamax.

Just in general, once you have High Def, whether it be over-the-air, cable, satellite, or Blu-Ray, there's no going back.  Standard definition broadcasts will look like pure shit to you in comparison, and even DVD's will be a disappointment.  Sports in HD is jaw-dropping, and you see so much more of the action with the widescreen format.

MTA: HD-DVD was declared dead over 2 years ago, so any "deals" you find on HD-DVD are a waste.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Happy Camper

Maybe off topic but look at getting them a Play Station 3, Xbox or Wii gaming system.  They cost as much or even less as a Blue Ray player with wireless ability but can do more.  The Play Station 3's wireless ability allowed us to set it up in a great spot and freed up clutter by not having to cable it in to our router.  The  local movie rental stores are closing.  The only thing left here soon will be Red Box.  Getting a gaming system would allow them to stream movies via broad band internet from Net Flix, Amazon, etc plus have Blue Ray and regular DVD's delivered to their door.  It's a  much better service than I ever expected, even out here in the stix.  You never go farther than your mailbox for a Blue Ray.  You preselect them so as soon as you mail back the one you just watched the next choice is sent.  The picture quality of the streaming is very good.   Check for a HDMI input  on their TV  so they can patch with that cable from the game system instead of an RCA or other type of cable.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

MrH

+1 for the PS3 idea.

Wii isn't HD (480p I think) and I don't think xbox 360 is 1080p.

We use the PS3 as our Blu-Ray player and also stream via Netflix.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

I thought for sure this thread must have been from 2008.

I say don't buy blu-ray and instead by a dvd player that can upconvert to HD. In fact, by a receiver that up converts everything to HD.

I say don't buy blu-ray and instead by a dvd player that can upconvert to HD. In fact, by a receiver that up converts everything to HD.

You must be one of those customers that goes to Best Buy and only buys rewritable CD's that are "Made for Digital".

The shirtless wonder

Don't buy a Wii unless you want to use it as a Wii.  A wii can't play DVDs nor Blu Ray discs.  You can get a special disc that allows you to stream Netflix content over the internet.  The Wii isn't capable of HD resolutions.  If TV/movies are what you want buy a Blu Ray play that has built-in Netflix support.

Dave

Wouldn't the real question now be whether to spend the extra dough on a 3D capable HDTV or not?

I vote not.

And buy a PS3 as your blu-ray player.  Games are a bonus.  Can use as a media hub to stream music and videos from a PC or MAC.  Link it to your HDTV with this receiver or one like it to simplify all your wiring by letting the receiver upconvert and switch.    

Buy all your HDMI cables somewhere like this.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

The shirtless wonder

+1 for monoprice.  Every time someone spends an insane amount of money on cables, for a digital signal, a kitten dies. 
                                Delete