Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

JakeKnight

Good one.
    Uh, yeah. Is it? I figured you could tell me. Unrelated: what's E.T. short for? . . . . . . . . . . . . . Because he has tiny little legs.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

MTA: It's "consensus." Wink
      I are not so smart sometimes.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Why is it sideways?

I think it's best not to tary in the ceme
          I are not so smart sometimes.
          Gruetzgirl, so what did you think of the HBO series Six Feet Under? I've seen every episode so I'm now an expert too. Feel free to ask me questions. And I always had a thing for Claire Fisher.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think it's best not to tary in the ceme
            tarry.
            JakeKnight

Gruetzgirl, so what did you think of the HBO series Six Feet Under? I've seen every episode so I'm now an expert too. Feel free to ask me questions. And I always had a thing for Claire Fisher.
                I think the first two seasons were good, then it got kinda weird and the drama took over. I did like watching the first episodes!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Spingoddess

I think it's ok, as long as you avoid services and mourners. I would go at off times, early morning or evening. Use your head, don't be disrespectful. The Buffalo Marathon '05 went through a large, historic cemetery there. The problem wasn't the runners running in the cemetery, the problem was that a few of the runners were being blatantly disrespectful, peeing on tombstones and such. Just use your head.
                  First of all, I haven't done it...yet. I might be heading to parents next month and they don't have a lot of 'safe' roads to run on. There is a very large cemetary and after mapping it out, I could easily get a good 5 mile loop in it. It has lots of trees, and no traffic to worry about. I just don't know if some people would be offended by having someone running there. Of course, if someone was having a service there I would avoid that area. Whatchya think? ~G
                  If we work hard at something we are passionate about, we might be rewarded with a few thrilling moments of perfection. John Bingham
                  kcam

Historic cemetary (where several generations separate the living from the dearly departed) - OK. Active cemetary (where people will be visiting their relatives,friends etc) - Disrespectful, in my book.

Another Passion

I kind of agree with this. I would think as long as you're staying on the roads/paths, and not trampling over the resting sites themselves, you'd be okay. I'm interested to see more responses on this.
                      I ran through Union Cemetery on Olentangy Road to get to the Oletangy River path last night Drew. I'm down in Columbus right now for work. I work for Grange. It was a perimeter run and there is an actual path at the back of the cemetery that allows you to access the river path. I guess I didn't think much about it and have read other accounts of people finding it peaceful to run through a cemetery. Confused

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

It was a perimeter run and there is an actual path at the back of the cemetery that allows you to access the river path. I guess I didn't think much about it and have read other accounts of people finding it peaceful to run through a cemetery. Confused
                        There. That's now officially settled. If its something Rick would do, it must by definition be respectful. There aren't many people I'd say that about, but he's one of 'em. If Rick and Mortuary Girl say its cool, its cool. At least until somebody starts a website for the American Runners Who Don't Run Through Cemeteries (ARWDRTC). Because once there's on official governing body with a website and everything, they decide, of course. So was it peaceful, Rick? I've been trying to talk some Nash-villains into a cemetery run tomorrow morning, and finding little success. Mostly cuz they're not hilly enough. Hey, I just learned that I've been running by a little cemetery for years and not even known it. I guess there's a handful of graves right next to the Monkey course. Who knew? Come run it and I'll show you. -------------- Now where's the OP? He started this tempest in a B-cup and hasn't been back to admire his work. I wanna know what he thinks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

~Gordo~

Now where's the OP? He started this tempest in a B-cup and hasn't been back to admire his work. I wanna know what he thinks.
                          I'm here and was enjoying watching the fireworks. Most of my runs I try and do early in the morning so after all this, I am going to run in the cemetery and will avoid any mourners, services, headstones, tombstones, caskets, coffins, zombies and most of all flying monkeys. Thank you for replying, I truly enjoyed all the responses. ~Gordo
                          !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                          mikeymike

I sometimes run through the cemetery where my dad is buried. It's the only time I ever go there.

Runners run

Another Passion

So was it peaceful, Rick? I've been trying to talk some Nash-villains into a cemetery run tomorrow morning, and finding little success. Mostly cuz they're not hilly enough. Hey, I just learned that I've been running by a little cemetery for years and not even known it. I guess there's a handful of graves right next to the Monkey course. Who knew? Come run it and I'll show you.
                              It was peaceful in that there was not much conversation going on, other than the voices in my head. I didn't feel as though I had desecrated anyone. As far as if there had been people in there paying respects or a burial or memorial, I definitely wouldn't have trapesed through there. Common sense, methinks. Must you taunt me with this Monkey-business?!? Come on, I'm just getting back from a broken leg for cripes sake! Roll eyes Thanks for the compliment, btw. Are you trying to say I have character or, am one?

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com