How much should a 5K hurt (Read 2678 times)

I did question my sanity throughout the second half of the race for racing in the south during the summer.

Yet you want to do that 4 miler in Mid July.  Hope to see you there.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well, you didn't sign up for a Sunday jog in the park ...  After my first 5k, I told my wife that I couldn't have run any faster.  It was true.  I pushed as hard as I could without passing out.  The last 1/2 mile hurt like hell after being at my limit for 2.6 miles.  Subsequent races showed I could repeat and was not leaving anything on the course as my times did not vary too much.

I aim for: 

What the heck am I doing, I hate this, really really hate this, at mile 2.

Too funny... I've also had the mid-race  "why the f&*% did I sign up for this race" thought on more than one occasion.   I'm not sure I aim for those thoughts but it does seem to be the appropriate effort level.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Well, you didn't sign up for a Sunday jog in the park ...  After my first 5k, I told my wife that I couldn't have run any faster.  It was true.  I pushed as hard as I could without passing out.  The last 1/2 mile hurt like hell after being at my limit for 2.6 miles.  Subsequent races showed I could repeat and was not leaving anything on the course as my times did not vary too much.

Too funny... I've also had the mid-race  "why the f&*% did I sign up for this race" thought on more than one occasion.   I'm not sure I aim for those thoughts but it does seem to be the appropriate effort level.

I feel this way about every time I race, and run hard. That's why I really, really enjoy my easy days. 

I think back to my earlier days where it seemed like I was running entire races in oxygen debt, legs about ready to collapse, and breating like I had just held my breath underwater for a minute or two. It's no wonder I can't run that fast anymore -- I can't push myself like that anymore. 

In summary,  if I 5K isn't hurting, you ain't running hard enough.  And, sprinting the last 0.1 miles, after jogging for 3.0 miles doesn't make it a hard race.

1st mile hard  2nd mile give more

3rd mile whatever's left

0.1 can't kick

you've run your perfect 5km

with fairly even splits

catch your breath and have a brew

A Saucy Wench

I couldn't tell you.

My brain releases a hormone in the hours after the finish that causes me to forget how much it hurt, otherwise I'd never run another one.  It's like childbirth that way, or so I'm told.  I've never given birth but I've been a close witness several times.

I guess I have never run a 5K hard enough because let me tell you that "forgetting" thing is bullshit.  If I could actually MAKE myself hurt that bad, that long..I'd have a sub 3 marathon by now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The 5k should hurt just shy of Thunder's description of how a mile hurts.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

5k's are the scariest race distance for me. I dunno why. I think because there is really no time to "get into things" because you only have 3.1 miles to do. I think I was in pain for most of the entire race on all the 5ks I've done. Probably why I haven't ran too many of them lol. I need to do more. Sorta same thing with my 2ml PT test. I hate it. I'd rather run a halfmary than that. Blah.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think I could get the better times I'm looking for, if I would just push a little harder earlier in the 5K and keep it close to the redline the whole way through. But I'm afraid of how much it's gonna hurt in the next mile. And I still fantasize about quitting by mile 2 or earlier, every time, it seems.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

under a rock

So even after participating in this discussion I've gone and signed up for a 5k this weekend. I think I need to have my head checked. I figure I'm doing a tempo run this Saturday anyway, may as well make the race part of it.

she runs like a girl

How much should a 5k hurt?

A lot. More than you think is possible from running

Bonus points if you throw up at the end

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                        I love this discussion.  I am registered for a 5K this weekend, and I'm hoping to beat my time from two weeks ago, which had been a 3-minute improvement from my previous 5K.  OK, I know, confusing, but look at my signature and it will all make sense.
                        Matt

2010 Races:
                        March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
                        May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
                        June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
                        June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
                        September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
                        September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
                        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

However in a 5k with a known end-point you can also use that signal, particularly through the second half, as a way to redline and push yourself right up to the limit. In that way, when you know you are pushing as hard as you can, then pain is more endurable and causes less suffering. At least that's the theory.....

On similar lines.  I once took indoor cycling classes (computrainer stuff) and something from that stuck with me and applies here.  During killer workouts, the coach (nay drill instructor) would shout that the "pain doesn't get any worse" so keep going.  That's what you have to tell yourself as you fight the ever mounting urge to just stop.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I love this discussion.  I am registered for a 5K this weekend, and I'm hoping to beat my time from two weeks ago, which had been a 3-minute improvement from my previous 5K.  OK, I know, confusing, but look at my signature and it will all make sense.

Good job on improvements and noticed your PR you felt you went too fast based on your report

-------------------------------

First mile: 8:18
                            Second mile: 8:17
                            Rest of race: 9:20

I started out a bit too fast and didn't have the reserve to sprint the end, but this is more than 2 minutes faster than my last 5K race!

----------------------------------------------

With overall pace of 8:22 I would say you did just about right ... just fight through the pain a little more at the end, but you did not really die too bad at the end as last 1.1 was like 8:28 pace.  Should not really take it easy and then sprint ... Go hard and try to hang on to that pace which you mostly did.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Skooter 3.0

I posted this in a race report a while back...I think it sums up the 5k experience well:

it's a very interesting distance...not unlike watching an episode of "Becker"
                              -it lasts a little over 20 minutes
                              -it's rather painful
                              -it makes you wonder why the hell you're doing it in the first place
                              -when it's over you're just so glad to be finished you feel great!

Goals?

GST

Okay, you guys have officially made me feel wimpy. I have never ran any race that I hurt that badly at the end.  <input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />