JEFF GALLOWAY (Read 975 times)

Scout7

I've found that the best way to train for Galloway-style running is with my iPod. It's the only way I can figure out to ignore the people around me without appearing to be rude. I hear that Galloway trained Karnazes. Happy now, furball?
    C-R

Dean Karnazes with an iPod in his fanny pack gallo-racewalking in a 5k triathlon while wearing orthotics and basketball shorts.
      You forgot "eating a pizza while running the race" Dean K is a running freak but and even better marketer. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

Yes.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Dean K is a running freak but and even better marketer. Big grin
          Look what I did. Ha. Dance for me, puppets. Dance.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

You forgot "eating a pizza while running the race" Dean K is a running freak but and even better marketer. Big grin
            Actually I was trying to combine every letsrun meme into one sentence rather than just lampooning Dean. If we're going to try to make as much fun of dean as we can in one sentence we have to make sure to identify that he is running without a shirt off to show off his "so ripped" abs.
            "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
            C-R

Look what I did. Ha. Dance for me, puppets. Dance.
              Then let's do your favorite - "you put your left foot in, your take your left foot out......." come on you all know the tune. Ha now that tune will be stuck in that over sized cranium of yours Mr. Monkey. Music soothes the savage beast you know. Don't mess with me or I'll be forced to throw a "Barney" or "Its a Small World After All" at you. The beauty of having small kids. As for Karnazes, no lampooning from me until I can run 24 hours without stopping and live to tell about it. But now that you mentioned it, I've never seen a picture of him running with a shirt. Interesting

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

I like running in a group...but $100 seem steep to me to. My so called coach when I did my charity marathon was pretty useless.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

As for Karnazes, no lampooning from me until I can run 24 hours without stopping and live to tell about it. But now that you mentioned it, I've never seen a picture of him running with a shirt. Interesting
                  I ran about 26 miles with him and he kept his shirt on the entire way. But then, I'm an old lady. grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    If there's only one group run / week, then you can probably adapt the pgm to whatever works for you. (In which case, there's no benefit to the coaching.) Are the schedules you get tailored to you? That is, does the coach give you some prelim runs to get an idea of pace, effort, form, whatever, and then provide a pgm specific for you? Or does he just give you a generic Galloway pgm available for free on web or in book? If you're truly getting personalized or at least semi-personalized coaching by someone that can see you run and help formulate a plan for 6 months, then it may be worth it while you're getting started. If it's just canned stuff that you can get online for free, then it may not be worth it, although it could be a way to meet runners in the area and find some folks to run with at another time, if you want. I would definitely use caution about who I take running advice from. Experience and speed of a person may not be related to their ability to relay good info for beginners. (although I've found our local experienced ultra trail runners are pretty realistic) You might ask for details about the plan and how they're developed and see if you can attend one session free to see if it looks like it'll work for you or not. oh, and DK runs with his shirt on in Alaska fall. Wink
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      Thanks for all the input...I am still debating and I have 7 weeks to make that choice...In between that time I will have been running 7 weeks and run in two 5k races and hopfully lost another 10lbs. I will evaluate more week to week where I am and what is being offered to me.
                      2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
                        The short answer: yes. But don't be afraid to add runs; training schedules are not written in stone.
                        Dammit, then what's this the point of this damn 15-pound tablet I've been lugging around in my exercise bag? Shldn't you carve in stone? Sorry, i'm stalling before going to the gym.

Hawt and sexy

Eww Galloway. Run more, skip the walk breaks. Enjoy running.

I'm touching your pants.

Same here. His book was the first running book I bought.
                            Yep, another one here. I have nothing but good things to say about his methods. They got me started originally, got me started (again), and then, like JK, I moved on, better for the experience. Check it out and decide for yourself.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright