New Bedford Half-Marathon (Read 579 times)

I'm just wondering what other RA'ers are going to be running that day.......I just paid my entry fee so now I really HAVE to give it a shot (GULP GULP) Shocked Shocked Shocked Hoping that I can finish at 1:59 or maybe even just a little faster.... Like to meet up with a couple of RA'ers if it works out, so let me know who will be there and Ill keep an eye out for you...

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

I'm 90% sure I'll be there. I've run it the last 2 years, it's a great race even though it's usually cold and windy as hell down there in March.

Runners run

Since the New Bedford Half Marathon is hosted by The Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick two days before Saint Padraig's Day, it would take an injury or some disaster to keep me away. I'm just waiting to ask Greater Lowell to pay for it, to minimize the chance of a paid-for DNS. I just LOVE running into a nice stiff cold breeze. Dead

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I just LOVE running into a nice stiff cold breeze. Dead
          Well - this is pretty much the reason why I signed up. The lure of a cold stiff breeze blowing on my face was just too tempting...I just had to do it....Big grin Truth be told -- your words of wisdom back when we were discussing the Hampton Marathon, and looking at the race web site where what pushed me over the edge.....today, I figured that if I went ahead and signed up that I have 6 weeks to prepare......so I decided that was enough time to gain a little strength in my longer runs....... Looking forward to it - this is the first 1/2 that I will have run in probably 15 years or so.......

BeeRunB

Good race. I've run it a few times. There's one hill in the beginning, and a long one at the end, but relatively flat. The wind from the water is a factor in sections. Good fish stew afterwords. --jimmy
              I'm thinking about it as well. I have done it in the past as a pace run for Boston Training. Still trying to figure out if I'm retired from the 13.1 - 26.2 races and just stick with the 5k-10k's.
                I'll be running NB1/2 this year as well. The field is so sick that it pulls you along to be a little faster than you might otherwise be, despite the wind. I'm running for Somerville RR this year - hopefully putting in a good time for the team.
                  I'm registered. Using it as a training race for my first marathon on 5/24.

Not according to your signature. Evil grin We'll have to ask Eric to dip into the PayPal funds for a traveling RA banner, at least for Boston area races. It will make it easier to get everybody into the group picture.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Not according to your signature. Evil grin We'll have to ask Eric to dip into the PayPal funds for a traveling RA banner, at least for Boston area races. It will make it easier to get everybody into the group picture.
                      Fixed. Maybe I can get one of those cool RunningAhead.com rear window stickers that Eric has. I can put it right under my Starfleet Academy one.

If my team can field 5 guys for the race then I'll be there. I've run it 3 of the last 4 years I think? I like it.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have decided to run the Bay State marathon in Oct 2009, and am using this as an indication of where my training stands 7 months prior to the Marathon... If you plug my last 5k time into the VDOT Calculator in http://runbayou.com (which is based on the Jack Daniels training system), it calculates that my HALF Marathon time is estimated/projected at 2:01:19. I'm hoping that 5 weeks of good training (35 to 40 MPW), a little luck (and hopefully we get a nice running day), and I can shave a couple minutes off that time and squeak in at 1:59:59 or just a little quicker...... Least that's my plan........If anyone wants to take a peek at my running log, I'm open to any training suggestions that anyone may have for me for the next 5 or 6 weeks. I'm not worried about completing 13.1, my concern is doing it in 1:59:59 or faster.

Chrisnerb

I'm planning on it. It's a good way to run for my team and hopefully get a new 1/2 PR. My current PR is 1:31 so I'm hoping this shouldn't be difficult given my current low 18's 5K's.

2009 Goals: PR's in 5k, 10k, HM, marathon