Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

When is the best time to get vaccinated? Ordinarily, the best time to receive your shot is late October through December, because protection develops about 2 weeks after vaccination. Flu is typically seasonal, appearing December through March (in Michigan). A flu shot is needed each year before the winter season because immunity lasts only 3-6 months and because the strains of influenza change from year to year.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

chrimbler

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,542950,00.html 

I'd love to see the source for this.  It is the first I have heard.

Run like you stole it!
      chrimbler

Run like you stole it!

Best Present Ever

There are no recommendations to take a booster, which of course is odd given the fact that the vaccine does not last the whole season, but there it is.

The vaccine takes about 3 weeks to kick in fully.

I've always thought it was a logistical issue more than anything else.  It's hard to get everyone to get their shots,  between people just procrastinating and the random rumors ('flu shots give you the flu'). 

Best Present Ever

A negative test in the setting of influenza-like symptoms is meaningless for H1N1.  A positive test is meaningful.

For you stats/epi hounds: the flu test has a high PPV and a low low NPV.

CDC now recommends that anybody with influenza-like illness get tamiflu regardless of test results.

This wasn't the real point of your post  I know, but as of 9/8/09, CDC recommends that anyone at high risk (sick enough to hospitalized, very young, very old, underlying disease) get tamiflu regardless of results.  Others get it based on clinical presentation from what I read.  No one who is going to get it waits for confirmation of test results, which is I assume your point. 

CDC flu treatment recs

De-slacking in progress

The college I'm attending is very freaked out about the possibility of piggie flu- lots of emails, profs reminding to use good hygiene practice, etc.

Kind of humorous in a way- all it takes is the infected person to walk in and and share the love with their fellow students and we all get sick.- sort of like trying to pprotect against a terrorist attack.

I will get the shot if the schools offers them for a few buck, but being unemployed health care is not available

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This wasn't the real point of your post  I know, but as of 9/8/09, CDC recommends that anyone at high risk (sick enough to hospitalized, very young, very old, underlying disease) get tamiflu regardless of results.  Others get it based on clinical presentation from what I read.  No one who is going to get it waits for confirmation of test results, which is I assume your point. 

CDC flu treatment recs

Yes.  That is essentially my point.  However, you are only going to give it to high risk folks if they have a clinical presentation consistent with influenza.  Which, basically, is the same as the recommendation for folks who are not high risk.

Best Present Ever

Yes.  That is essentially my point.  However, you are only going to give it to high risk folks if they have a clinical presentation consistent with influenza.  Which, basically, is the same as the recommendation for folks who are not high risk.

I was just imagining the googlers coming upon  this post out of context and demanding antiviral therapy because they read on the innernets that everyone should get it ...

as a side note, I'm surprised by how many times I google (like really google, not search RA) something and an RA post comes up as one of the responses. 

Best Present Ever

The college I'm attending is very freaked out about the possibility of piggie flu- lots of emails, profs reminding to use good hygiene practice, etc.

Kind of humorous in a way- all it takes is the infected person to walk in and and share the love with their fellow students and we all get sick.- sort of like trying to pprotect against a terrorist attack.

I will get the shot if the schools offers them for a few buck, but being unemployed health care is not available

The preschool my youngest attended until he started kindergarten a few weeks ago is demanding a doctor's note stating that the child has tested negative for H1N1 "per CDC guidelines" before any kid with a runny nose (no fever needed) can come back to school!!  There is apparently another organization going by the letters "CDC," perhaps existing in a parallel universe??  That's the only explanation the parents at the school can come up with. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That preschool needs to be reeducated.
                        If I had H1N1 last month, and I tested positive for H1N1 (kindof, but thats another story), it makes no sense for me to get the H1N1 vaccine, correct?

That other story-  I tested positive for Influenza A.  Twice, both positive for Flu A with the rapid test and the 24 hour culture.  They didnt specifically test for Novel H1N1, but they said that since H1N1 was the only strain of Flu A going around, that I had H1N1.

My wife was given Tamiflu right away when we got the results.  She never got sick. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If I had H1N1 last month, and I tested positive for H1N1 (kindof, but thats another story), it makes no sense for me to get the H1N1 vaccine, correct?

Probably so.

#artbydmcbride

When is the best time to get vaccinated? Ordinarily, the best time to receive your shot is late October through December, because protection develops about 2 weeks after vaccination. Flu is typically seasonal, appearing December through March (in Michigan). A flu shot is needed each year before the winter season because immunity lasts only 3-6 months and because the strains of influenza change from year to year.

Why do I need to get a seasonal flu shot every year?

Flu viruses change from year to year, which means two things. First, you can get the flu more than once during your lifetime. The immunity (natural protection that develops against a disease after a person has had that disease) that is built up from having the flu caused by one flu virus strain doesn't always provide protection against newer strains of the flu. Second, a seasonal flu vaccine made against flu viruses going around last year may not protect against the newer viruses. That is why the flu vaccine is updated to include current viruses every year.

Because of these reasons, a new seasonal flu vaccine is needed each year.

Does getting a seasonal flu vaccine early in the season mean that I will not be protected later in the season?

Flu vaccination provides protection against the influenza strains contained in the vaccine that will last for the whole season. Vaccination can begin as soon as vaccine is available. Studies do not show a benefit of receiving more than one dose of vaccine during a flu season, even among elderly persons with weakened immune systems.

Runners run

HOSS1961

I believe that the reason they want people to get the seasonal (non H1N1) shot now (somewhat early) is to have it out of the way when H1N1 vaccine becomes available in October.  It sounds like a smart move froma logistics stand point.

I thought I heard that the giving of Tamiflu should be only for at risk groups, not for others, since they are worried about resistance issues. 

HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured