Question for those of you who ran in college (Read 883 times)

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for the great posts! I haven't had a chance to look at them in detail, but here are DS's stats. He's a junior, still 16 (turns 17 in July). 800 - 2:03 (his team went to nationals in the 4x800). He does NOT like this distance - too short! 1 mile - 4:28 (track) 2 mile - 9:36 (track, at the Dartmouth Relays) 3 mile - 15:36 (XC) 5k - 16:28 (XC) - he is very pissed off that his 5k time is not faster! if his times improved in those post-season meets, because there will be some better competition. I will read all of your thoughtful comments and ask more questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.
    These were almost exactly my times in high school. If it helps, he can run for almost any school, DI or otherwise. But it is unlikely that he will get a scholarship to a program that would be good for him. Scolys are few and far between for distance runners (that's a whole 'nuther thread). But those times are good enough to carry some weight with admissions at the Ivys and elite academic DIII's of the world. As others have emphasized, running is part of the package. Visit schools, talk to people, and go with your gut. The good thing is that there are lots of good schools out there.
      Jeff- things may have tightened up somewhat. Several of the Ivys were not interested in my son and another kid with times faster than those. Princeton in particular is looking more in the 4:16-4:18 range and even then, you have to have extremely strong academics to get in. A few years ago the Texas state 800 meter champion was heavily recruited by Princeton but didn't apply ED. Coach almost assured him he would get in regular decision. He did not. Dartmouth kept in touch with the boys, but wouldn't help with admissions. Brown wasn't interested. Yale would not help at all with admissions with these kinds of times. Cornell might- Johnson looks for the potential. NYU would like these times, but it's really expensive and training can be a hassle. If your son finds a school he really feels is "the one", apply Early Decision. Much better chance of admission if it is a selective academic school.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Why is it sideways?

That's true. It depends on the school and the sort of program. I kind of came out for school at the nadir of high school running and had some better times for 800m and 400m. Things are more competitive now, it seems, both academically and athletically.
          Thanks for the great posts! I haven't had a chance to look at them in detail, but here are DS's stats. He's a junior, still 16 (turns 17 in July). 800 - 2:03 (his team went to nationals in the 4x800). He does NOT like this distance - too short! 1 mile - 4:28 (track) 2 mile - 9:36 (track, at the Dartmouth Relays) 3 mile - 15:36 (XC) 5k - 16:28 (XC) - he is very pissed off that his 5k time is not faster! He was a socring member on the team from Maine that won their age division in the National Junior Olympics XC meet in December in Virginia. He also ran in the two-mile at nationals. His current goals are to get below 4:20 and 9:20. He's a little frustrated because he hasn't improved during outdoor track. The problem in Maine is that there are only FOUR regular season outdoor meets! One of those got postponed due to weather, so last week he had two meets. Kind of sucks. This Thursday is the last regular season meet. Next week is conference, followed by state, and then New England (six hours away in Vermont, in the middle of final exams). I wouldn't be surprised if his times improved in those post-season meets, because there will be some better competition. I will read all of your thoughtful comments and ask more questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.
          Wow, DS's times are awesome! Wish I was that fast at 16! I only got down to 2:06/4:45/10:28/17:24 for those distances respectively in high school. He's within striking range of my friend Brian who got a full scholarship. If he can bump them down a little bit over the next few weeks he will attract some additional attention. Then he should focus on cross country season because that will be his last chance to show coaches - track senior year is too late, the decision will be done with by then. Baltimore, Maryland in the early 90s was no hotbed for running talent, so Brian was getting tons of calls as early as junior year, when he nearly ran the table in cross country - won every meet up to the state meet, got ill at the state meet and passed out with 1/2 mile to go but winning by 10 seconds - and won runner of the year. The problem DS has is that its 2009 not 1992-1993 and things have gotten MUCH more competitive. You could get a D1 scholarship running Brian's/DS times. One or two of the kids a year behind me at MSM got scholarships with times right around there. Now it gets you on a team - doesn't necessarily result in any money - but should get him a solid place on any respectable D1 or D3 (do they even HAVE a D2 anymore?) program. DS should not get too hung up on his time in cross country. If he can win his district/state meet and get his 5K down to 16-flat somewhere he's doing well. Because courses vary so much 15:59 on a flat course invitational where he finishes 5th doesn't matter as much as a state meet win on a hilly course in 16:30. The junior olympics experience will definitely show well to college coaches. So will the New England championships. They usually want to see big-meet experience. Let us know how DS does at his track championships. If he can go sub 4:20 and/or sub 9:25 he is right in there with some of the better college runners, and he certainly should be able to find a good college among those that are going to be interested in him, that gives him the academics and campus life he wants surrounding the few hours a day he'll be at practice.
            That's true. It depends on the school and the sort of program. I kind of came out for school at the nadir of high school running and had some better times for 800m and 400m. Things are more competitive now, it seems, both academically and athletically.
            The nadir, huh? We must be the same age Big grin For some perspective I actually PLACED in the Maryland state meet with the 2:06 (10th) and that was sophomore year, pretty much the last time I was healthy for a full season. I finished 2nd in the county and 23rd in the state meet in cross country never even sniffing 17 minutes for 5K. 4:47 got me 3rd at the county meet mile. No one in the state broke 4:20 in the mile my senior year. I saw Baltimore area results from last year - some kid broke the state record in the mile (4:05?) in '08 and there were a ton of kids in the 16's for 5K. I might not have even qualified for the county meet this year in anything. I do know for a fact they've made the SAT test easier since I took it Wink

she runs like a girl

Teresa, My only advice for you is to encourage your son to choose a school where his academics will come first. Education is the purpose of a school and if he happens to gets to run while in school, it should be secondary. My boyfriend and I are Canadian and he was offered several scholarships to US schools and because his focus was on running, he chose a school based on the the cross country team rather than on the actual academics. Well he ended up going to Rend Lake College in Illinois and he helped his team to win NCJAA cross country championships and got a pretty sweet ring. But at a certain level, running takes precedence over academics. His coach helped him to PR at almost any distance he ran, but his academics started to slip and the overtraining left him with injuries and he ended up burnt out for track season. He came home after one year and finished his schooling in Canada where his academics could come first. And now that his schooling is done, his runing is #1 again. Good luck to your son Teresa, and congratulations on raising a great runner!
              2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Why is it sideways?

My only advice for you is to encourage your son to choose a school where his academics will come first. Education is the purpose of a school and if he happens to gets to run while in school, it should be secondary.
                That's crazy talk.

Teresa, My only advice for you is to encourage your son to choose a school where his academics will come first. Education is the purpose of a school and if he happens to gets to run while in school, it should be secondary.
                  I don't necessarily agree with that. Yes, academics are important, but they aren't the be-all and end-all. They are just the basis that you use to find a job after school. There are 3 aspects to college life: Academic, Athletic, Social. All three are important and the way that we our culture raises kids, all 3 are important to become a mature adult for those that decide to attend college (and for those that don't, they need to find their own way to mature.) It's pretty easy to excel at any 2 of those categories, and with work you can excel at all 3 (very few people actually do excel at all 3.) As long as you get the knowledge that you need through your academics, it's hard to go too far wrong by concentrating on the athletics. I wouldn't recommend ignoring any of it, but I wouldn't recommend focusing solely on one aspect of the experience either.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

she runs like a girl

Hey now! It's not crazy talk and I am not suggesting that that athletics and social life should be completed ignored but unless you plan on being a runner or a socialite, I just suggest that academics comes first (and I didn't mention how close of a second running is Wink ) But the fact of the matter, from what I understand is that her son is not going to attend a DI school. While his running clearly isn't "leisure" activity (because those are great times for a 16 year old!), but he's looking for PR's not olympic standards. He is young and still has a lot of time for improvement and may someday be chasing that goal but very few people are fortunate enough to make running their career and a good degree is something that will help him get a job no matter how fast he runs! Smile
                    2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Why is it sideways?

I was being ironical with the "crazy talk" comment. Ideally, the athletics and the academics complement each other. Did I learn as much from my college running experiences as I did in the classroom? Maybe not, maybe so. I definitely learned different things. To rank academics and athletics heirarchically: to say that one is first and the other second, is to misunderstand (I think) the relationship between mind and body.
                      Mr R

It's a piece of cake to be a great student, great athlete, and have a great social life...but that doesn't mean that you can have any KIND of social life. I work with lots of high school athletes, and I've helped a lot of them to college. I also know a ton of college coaches at all levels. One thing I've learned: when kids talk about wanting "balance," 99% of the time they mean that they want to party. If you're serious about achievement on the track and in the classroom, your Friday night will be a movie and lights out by midnight. You'll end up becoming best friends with your teammates, and a lot of your socializing will happen on the bus to meets. After conference, you might cut loose a bit, but you're not going to have the "typical" college experience. The key is to realize that you're not sacrificing something; you're CHOOSING the thing you most want. It's worth it, it'll stay with you, and you won't regret it. That said, because athletics can be so all-encompassing, it's important that you know what kind of a program you're getting into. When he's narrowing down his choices, he should definitely do an overnight stay with the team. He'll get a much better feel for what it would be like to join that program. A few other thoughts: He's not so fast that he won't have people to run with if he goes to a decent DIII program. To put things in perspective, I was just having a beer with 2 DIII guys who were not the fastest guys in their conference for most of their careers--one of them is a 4 minute miler, the other is a 30 minute 10k runner. Athletic scholarships are just about impossible to come by for male runners. Full scholarships are particularly rare. A wealthy school (like an Ivy), can often be a better deal because they can give so much financial aid, even though there's no athletic money. The Ivies are pretty strong distance schools, however. He probably wouldn't be recruited at the upper half, though he could walk on. The NESCAC is a great conference for DIII running. The MIAC is often strong in running, though weaker academically (with the exception of Macalester and Carleton). WESCAC schools are very strong at running, but weak academically. On the west coast, Willamette is the regional powerhouse, and Occidental and the Claremont Colleges are quite strong. Colorado College has a good program, but they're isolated from their competition. There's not much DIII in the South. One thing worth checking into is the geographic size of the conference. If the schools are really spread out, it can mean a lot of time in buses.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I know I'm showing my ignorance (I know so little about college sports), but how does "walking on" work? I assume that means you make the team even though you're not recruited? Would a coach tell DS if he had a good chance of making it that way? I would hate for him to go to a school expecting to run, and then not to be able to. I appreciate the examples of how fast some DIII kids are. That's good to hear. Bucci, that's coincidental you mentioned Coach Nedeau, because he is interested in my son (he's from Maine originally and knows one of the assistant HS coaches). There have been a couple of e-mails back and forth. DS is impressed with him because he ran a sub-4:00 mile. Maybe we can head down to Amherst and Williams before long. kpk, it's good to hear you think I'm doing the right thing, because sometimes I wonder. I don't want to be a hovering mom, and I know DS has to make up his own mind. He's so busy with homework and running, though, that he hardly has enough time to eat, much less do research on schools. I figure I can show him what I've learned and let him take it from there.
                          jonsnape

I was being ironical with the "crazy talk" comment. Ideally, the athletics and the academics complement each other. Did I learn as much from my college running experiences as I did in the classroom? Maybe not, maybe so. I definitely learned different things. To rank academics and athletics heirarchically: to say that one is first and the other second, is to misunderstand (I think) the relationship between mind and body.
                            Sheesh. You definitely learned more from classes than from running. Academics are more important unless you are going to be a professional runner/coach. And you want to be a professor?
                            jonsnape

Great times. How is he academically? BTW, it's cold in the north.
                              Mr R

Walking on can mean a lot of things. Generally, the way to do it is to have the coach's blessing in advance. It basically means that he or she would be happy to have you, but you're on your own with regard to admissions. What you want is a commitment from the coach that, if admitted, your son will have an invitation to preseason camp before his freshman year. Honestly, this shouldn't be that tough with his times at most schools. Something else I forgot to mention: don't assume that a coach doesn't want you because you haven't heard anything from them. Especially in DIII, there are too many kids all over the place for coaches to really recruit everyone they'd like. They have no idea if their school is right for a kid, if he's willing to move to a different state, how strong he is academically, etc. They have a small staff, and recruiting is not easy. If there's a school that your son is interested in, take the initiative and get in touch! My siblings were both national caliber athletes, but they ended up at their respective schools (Dartmouth and Amherst) because THEY took the initiative to talk to their coaches.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker