Question for those of you who ran in college (Read 883 times)

Why is it sideways?

the football and basketball programs that help fund the other sports.
    Myth.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Myth.
        Absolutely not a myth. Are you twitching your mustache again coming up with these theories? I like them.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Why is it sideways?

Outside of the Michigans and Tennessees of the world, the vast majority of football programs run in the red.
            I played soccer (not track) for the University of Chicago in the 1990s and can at least vouch that the school has a pretty healthy view of athletics. Sort of an odd setting (geographically) and the athletics physical plant is definitely more DIII than DI. That said, I definitely encourage a look-see. And if needed, you can saunter past the trophy case and see the first-ever-awarded Heisman trophy to make you feel fleetingly big time. (Jay Berwanger ftw!)
            “I used to be a runner. Uh-huh. Not a marathoner. A runner. Marathons are bullshit. They’re all hype. Some official picks a random day, and rain or cold, you’re out there pounding the pavement alongside 50,000 other dumbfucks. No. There’s some things it’s better to do all by yourself.” Augustus Hill, Oz
            mikeymike

Schools like Marquette and Providence have no football and make money on hoops.

Runners run

rlemert

Since everyone else is promoting their school I'll add my alma mater to the list - The Colorado School of Mines. pros - - very strong academics - very supportive and influential alumni (networking opportunities when you graduate) - small college atmosphere, but near big city (Denver) - surprisingly strong track/xc teams the last few years (top 10 DII finishes for both men's and women's teams) cons - - the 'strong academics' are all in engineering, which is essentially the only type of degree you can get here - the location might be a bit far afield for you
                  Outside of the Michigans and Tennessees of the world, the vast majority of football programs run in the red.
                  I'm not disagreeing with that point. I'm saying that the revenue generated from football and basketball help fund the other financial sinkholes that are collegiate sports. As an advocate of student-athletes in very low revenue-generating sports, to make an enemy of football and basketball is to bite the hand that feeds you. You seemed to imply that track scholarships should have a ratio consistent with football scholarships and I don't think that makes much sense. But I'm not an expert in the budgeting process of universities so I could benefit from some education.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Why is it sideways?

I'm not disagreeing with that point. I'm saying that the revenue generated from football and basketball help fund the other financial sinkholes that are collegiate sports. As an advocate of student-athletes in very low revenue-generating sports, to make an enemy of football and basketball is to bite the hand that feeds you. You seemed to imply that track scholarships should have a ratio consistent with football scholarships and I don't think that makes much sense. But I'm not an expert in the budgeting process of universities so I could benefit from some education.
                    Football and basketball are not the hand that feeds track and cross country. That is a twisted view of college athletics, fed to you by ESPN. The hand that feeds track and cross country is the school budget. Most of the schools that have been mentioned in this thread see sports as integrated with the function of building a school community. None of these sports programs exist to make profits, and to justify them them in that way is to pervert the whole notion of what a school is and what it is for. Schools earn money based on their ability to prepare their graduates for the world so they can give money back. They also receive money from federal and state governments so that they can carry out their mission of educating the people. Schools are non-profit organizations. MTA: I'm not trying to make an enemy of football and basketball, by the way. I'm not sure why you think I am doing that. Though I do wonder what a 4th string football player has done to earn a full free ride to college.
                    MrH

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

This is an argument that rumbles on in higher education and cannot be easily answered with data since many of the 'advantages' of a strong football program are hard to quantify - the theory is that alumni donate more to the school when there is a strong football program. Some, but not all, of these donations may benefit other sports. The UC system makes it's top earners salary information public. http://www.sfgate.com/webdb/ucpay/ Search on the top ten earners and in the # 1 spot you'll find not the Chancellor, not a Nobel prize winner or leading doctor but, at $2.8 MILLION a year, Jeff Tedford the UC Berkeley football coach. Enthusiastic football supporters claim that such a salary is justified because Tedford has rejuvenated the team and that has brought in alumni support and donations. (Of course the University also needs to spend a lot of money on the football program, including the stadium, which sits, believe it or not, literally right on top of the Hayward Fault). John - glad to have moved from UCB to UCSB, where the students voted to cut all funds from the football program in 1992
                        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Why is it sideways?

Interesting red x. By the way, Title IX is often blamed for the loss of track and wrestling programs. But the real reason why those scholarships are lost is because schools make the decision that scholarship for a 4th string football player is a more valuable asset than a cross-country program. They make this decision because of insane athletics boosters, not for educational reasons. Call me crazy but I think you could still have a pretty quality and revenue producing football team with 40 scholys.
                            Football and basketball are not the hand that feeds track and cross country. That is a twisted view of college athletics, fed to you by ESPN. The hand that feeds track and cross country is the school budget. Most of the schools that have been mentioned in this thread see sports as integrated with the function of building a school community. None of these sports programs exist to make profits, and to justify them them in that way is to pervert the whole notion of what a school is and what it is for.
                            The school budget is also made up of the revenue generated from the other sports which, as you say, helps fund all the other sports. I also agreed with you that these programs do not exist to make profits and in no way did I state that the athletic program was the school's justification for existence. I'm not sure how you concluded that. So, to overly simplify, $$$$ from ESPN = ++++ to school budget = +++ to revenue generating sports = + non-revenue generating sports.

Why is it sideways?

So, to overly simplify, $$$$ from ESPN = ++++ to school budget = +++ to revenue generating sports = + non-revenue generating sports.
                              I'd write the equation like this athletic performance = $$$$ for ESPN and a bunch of apparel vendors + some money from boosters earmarked mainly for the football/basketball program. The Ivies and all of the colleges mentioned in this thread show that it is possible to run very successful academic institutions without big time athletics. Tennessee has a great revenue producing football team and a bankrupt higher education system.
                              MrH

Interesting red x.
                                Strange - I changed to a different source.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.