Change in gait? (Read 519 times)

I started running 5 years ago.  Was fitted at a reputable running store (gait analysis running outdoors)......in a pair of Asics Cumulus, which I ran in for two years.  I switched to Asics Nimbus which I have been running in ever since.......no injuries, always felt pretty good although I don;t know any different.  Today I went to a really good running store and decided to try on a different brand.  I settled on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10.   Brooks classifies these as "SUPPORT" shoes.  I am not sure what that means, but my Nimbus are supposed to be for slight UNDER-pronators or neutral gaits.  The Brooks Adrenaline are supposed to be for moderate pronators.

So, the question I have is, does one's gait change over time?  This makes a bit of sense to me since maybe a new runner hasn't developed the muscles and form for running........and maybe my 5 years of running has "loosened" me up a bit to reveal that maybe I am more of a pronator rather than an under-pronator/neutral runner.

Is this possible?  Am I in for some problems with these new shoes?  This running store did a video analysis on a treadmill and I must say it is amazing how these Adrenaline really make my foot action about perfect.

I gotta tell you, these Adrenaline were more comfortable out of the box than any of the Asics models (Nimbus and Cumulus) that I have ever had.  I am excited.....but a bit scared too.

What do you think?

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

This is kind of interesting--this post had been read (viewed) 70 times with NO reply??? 

There had been an article in New York Times a year or so ago about this legendary shoe-maker at ASICS in Japan by the name of Mimura.  He did amost ALL custom-made shoes for professional/elite runners.  He would measure and remeasture runners' feet almost every year because they change quite a bit.  Even the size change somewhat--of course, we're talking about runners who run something like 150 miles a week.  They not only change but also, depending on what kind of running you do--long distance work vs. speed work, they change slightly. 

Also, here's another interesting story; when my daughter was playing basketball (I think she was 12 or so), she had this "popular" basketball shoes that were rigid as brick.  When she ran in these on a hard wooden floor, I noticed she would land straight into the floor with her heel pointing down.  In other words, a hard heel striker.  At the same time (I'm not talking about she would change shoes and after a while or anything...I mean, you can put those heavy basketball shoes and have her run on the gym floor and bring her over outside right there); I saw her running around outside on the grass, barefoot, on the sportsday.  Guess what; she was doing mid-foot landing.   Would the shoe change one's gait?  ABSOLUTELY and definitely.  But the question is; do you have the right shoes?

Okay, I'm off to your other thread...

This is kind of interesting--this post had been read (viewed) 70 times with NO reply??? 

And now you see why I chose to post it in another forum.....

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

J.D.

When I began running I too got fitted for a neutral pair of shoes and trained successfully in them for six years, but all of a sudden last year things changed. I developed shin splints that I couldn't get rid of. I finally got re-fitted for trainers and bought a pair of asics stability shoes. The shins healed up. So yes, I do believe that your gait can change. Mine sure did quite a bit. I should also add though, that I am still pretty young and have grown several inches over the time of my running career, and I think this is probably what caused the change.