Chicago Distance Classic - HM (Read 733 times)

C-R

Any RA folks running this HM on Aug 10th in the windy city?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'll be there; third year in row. There's a new course this year, which I'm not thrilled about, but what can you do? Should be a well-staged race based on past experiences. Whether its a fast race or not depends entirely on the heat and humidity that day.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

wbertha

I'll be there and am registered to run. However, my DD has suggested that I walk it with her instead. DH is afraid she may not make it on her own as she does not get along well with heat and humidity. So now I guess it is up to me...one way or another I will be doing the Chicago Distance Classic. It's just the question, walk or run. Any and all input appreciated. wbertha
        protoplasm72

I'll be there. If the weather cooperates I'll be trying to move up a starting gate for the Chicago marathon. Otherwise I'll just use it as a training run.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I'll be there and am registered to run. However, my DD has suggested that I walk it with her instead. DH is afraid she may not make it on her own as she does not get along well with heat and humidity. So now I guess it is up to me...one way or another I will be doing the Chicago Distance Classic. It's just the question, walk or run. Any and all input appreciated.
            In my experiences, its hard to predict whether the weather conditions will be decent or awful. Its not going to be a perfect cool 55 degrees -- after all, we are talking about Chicago in August. But since the race starts at 6:30 am, it depends on whether we're having one of the weather conditions with cool evenings or hot evenings. If the temperatures get down into the 60's overnight on the evening before the race, then the start of the race should be quite comfortable. But, if the temperatures stay up into the 80's overnight, then it could be something of a death march.

I'll be there. Looking forward to it. Any advice on parking from the vets?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

C-R

Good question since parking seems to be a bit of a pain in town. Also, anyone interested in meeting before/after at some designated spot to plan/toast our accomplishement or even just place a person to the electronic persona?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

protoplasm72

How much are you ready to pay? It's pretty easy to park in the Grant park or millennium park garages but I believe it was $26 in march when I was there last. It's worth it for me since I worry more about making it to the race then the actual race. Otherwise if you get there early enough you can find street parking further away or one of the small lots that might only charge you $22 Big grin

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Frank4

I'll be there as well. As Berner said, temperature will be a key for this one, but impossible to predict. And with so much of the race on the lakefront, wind will surely be a factor to some extent as well. I'm with protoplasm on the parking...the Grant Park garages aren't cheap, but they are close and you don't have to worry about being late because you've spent a half-hour driving around looking for a street spot...and then you still have a lengthy walk to get to the start.
                    missy1102

i'll be there! i'm recovering from a stress fracture so this race will definitely not be raced for me.. i have no expectations.. just to finish! i agree with the weather. its been either hit or miss in the past; either plan for a death march or a slightly uncomfortable 1+ hr workout Roll eyes as for parking, i wouldn't count on finding street parking. the meters are free on sunday meaning that people don't up and leave as often as when the meters are running. if you're not willing to pay the astronomical parking fees at the grant park garages, another option is to find parking further south/north of the park along the red line, then take the red line in and get off at roosevelt. hope this helps.
                      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I need a 1:25 to get from Corral B to Corral A for the marathon. However, I plan to use this race as a marathon pace run. If the weather is nice (read cooler than normal) I'll push harder and go for it. Street parking? Only if you want a 1 to 2 mile warmup run. Personally, I avoid the Grant Park North and South lots directly off Michigan Ave. The Monroe / Millennium garage is bigger and a little cheaper (well it used to be cheaper).

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

, another option is to find parking further south/north of the park along the red line, then take the red line in and get off at roosevelt. hope this helps.
                          Isn't the Jackson stop closer than Roosevelt?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Isn't the Jackson stop closer than Roosevelt?
                            You're probably right, unless they happen to stage the gear check in the softball fields south of Balbo (which they've done in the past), in which case its probably equidistant.

wbertha

Well, after thinking it over and probably over thinking it...have decided to "slog" along with DD to make sure that she is okay and makes it to the finish. Now having said that, I will have to admit that my goal has changed from PR to finish before the 4 hour limit. wbertha
                              wbertha

Wave start??? Something new for me and since I have decided to go at a walking pace with DD, I am wondering if the wave start will affect the time that they allow the race course to be open. They had indicated that you had 4 hours but now with a wave start, the last wave could have a much shorter time to finish?????? wbertha