Average Pace - to the summary page (Read 1908 times)

Eric, Thanks for all your work.

q day

I always liked having that info on Coolrunning, but I agree with Eric (and others) that it isn't a good training gauge. Just in case others have missed it, you can simply take your mileage/time, then go to the Tools tab where there is a pace calculator.

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

PWL

Has been

This is Marketing 101, voice of the customer! Design your log however you want, I love it myself, but please don't be stubborn!
        Marketing 101 would also state that as a "customer", you should be paying Eric for the service he is providing. Just sayin...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Outside Lane

Maybe I am missing something here? Confused The Summary page seems to show my weekly time/distance for the last several weeks, my monthly time/distance for the last several months, my total time/distance for this year, and my total time/distance since I have been logging - and many of you including Eric are saying that it would not be beneficial to show average pace for each of those months, weeks, year, total? Are you kidding me? You really feel it would not add value to see your average pace for the weeks, months, year of this page? Aren't we talking about just adding 14 calcs for this page (6 weeks, 6 months, the year, the total)? I for one would still love to see average pace on the summary page in all the places where it shows a total of time and distance for a given period (week, month, etc.). To me this is more important than the time total. How many miles did I run and at what pace? I would rather see this info on the Summary page than the graph. I don't think I need a graph of the run in the last week or so (I may be old but I can remember how many times I ran in the past week). Smile For that matter - move the weather and messages to the bottom of the summary page so I can see the complete summary without having toi scroll down. Thanks for listening!

See how they run...

Maybe I am missing something here? Confused I for one would still love to see average pace on the summary page in all the places where it shows a total of time and distance for a given period (week, month, etc.). To me this is more important than the time total. How many miles did I run and at what pace? I would rather see this info on the Summary page than the graph. I don't think I need a graph of the run in the last week or so (I may be old but I can remember how many times I ran in the past week). Smile For that matter - move the weather and messages to the bottom of the summary page so I can see the complete summary without having toi scroll down. Thanks for listening!
            I was looking at your training log and notice that all of your runs over the last two years are of the same type. Because you are comparing apples to apples it may actually be of value to you to have an average pace but you are by far....the exception. Most runners I know have several different types of workouts, Tempo, Fartlek, Intervals, Moderate, etc. In this case the comparison becomes apples to oranges and any meaning of avg. pace is lost. You can however very easily use the graphing feature to show your pace by week, month or perhaps even year. Using the graph tool allows you to filter for different types of runs so you can see actual improvement with a specific type of workout. The results wont be skewed to meaningless by averaging the pace for a race with an easy run. As for the weather, I love the feature and use it to help me decide upon the appropriate attire for my run.
              Well, I guess that's it, even though many have requested it Eric isn't going to put it in. Trent, maybe I am not the runner you are, I don't measure hard and easy days, I just run and track my progress. How does it help me? By looking at what my miles and pace were at the same time last year, I can measure if I have run farther or faster. I sense a little elitist runner attitude there Trent ("exceptional runners/mediocre runners"), sorry if I got that wrong, we are all runners, and we are just looking for tools to help US check our progress. I guess I am a mediocre runner who is just looking for a log that is similar to the one we had at CR.
              This is a repeat, but I'll say again that I don't think having average training pace on the summary is going to be of any help at all. >By looking at what my miles and pace were at the same time last year, I can measure if I have run farther or faster I can understand where you are coming from and I agree that being able look back and see what you were doing at a particular point in time can be very useful. However, I don't see how having average training paces on summary page accomplishes that. The key to measuring progress can be seen by looking at your race times. They are really the only true yardstick of progress, imo. Workouts can be sorted by "type" which enables you to look at all your races in chronological order so they are isolated in one place. As you look through them and are interested in seeing what your training was leading up to a particular race, it's right there in your log. Just be sure to make notes of key workouts in the comments so you can go back and review them when you need to. When you consider that average training pace includes races, tempo runs, interval workouts, recovery days, easy runs, moderate runs...the list goes on, it is a virtually meaningless piece of data anyway. I only started recording maintenance and recovery run paces for the purpose of filling in the KA log. For years I've kept them on paper, and for the past 15 in Excel. All I really need to know is what my race times are, and the paces I was running in key workouts. Half the time I don't even write down pace for other days. I just assume that I ran at comfortable pace and don't care what the times were because they really don't matter. That's my opinion anyway, I'm sure there are others who would disagree.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Eric, thanks for all your work.
                George Galestro

"When you consider that average training pace includes races, tempo runs, interval workouts, recovery days, easy runs, moderate runs...the list goes on, it is a virtually meaningless piece of data anyway." That is, for you Jim and some others here. That dioesn't mean it is a meaningless piece of data for the rest of us runners. I have been running for many years but I just have runs, I don't call them tempo, interval, moderate, etc. I run about 5-6 races a year. Just because it is not a useful tool for you doesn't mean that a lot of us would find it useful. Have a nice day, George
                  Hannibal Granite

"When you consider that average training pace includes races, tempo runs, interval workouts, recovery days, easy runs, moderate runs...the list goes on, it is a virtually meaningless piece of data anyway." That is, for you Jim and some others here. That dioesn't mean it is a meaningless piece of data for the rest of us runners. I have been running for many years but I just have runs, I don't call them tempo, interval, moderate, etc. I run about 5-6 races a year. Just because it is not a useful tool for you doesn't mean that a lot of us would find it useful. Have a nice day, George
                    So you have at least two types of runs 1. races 2. everything else. Lumping both together would give you a meaningless piece of information. If you run 7 races next year instead of 5 your average pace might be faster just b/c of the extra race, but that wouldn't necessarily mean you are any fitter. I would also guess (since I can't view your log) that even though you don't call your runs tempo, moderate etc. that you still do some of these types of runs every now and then even if isn't on purpose. You feel especially good one day so you pick up the pace a bit and by the end of the run you're almost at race pace - Congratulations! you've just done a progression run, regardless of what you call it. If you look through other people's logs you'll see several different types of runs for almost everybody. Using just the people who have posted in this thread the only person with a viewable log that has only one type of run is PWL, and that is only for the last few weeks, go back a bit farther and he has several different types as well. So for the vast vast majority lumping every run together simply wouldn't give a piece of usefull information, and could potentially do more harm than good by making people want to go faster than they should on easy days or do more hard days than they should simply to get the overall average down.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Hmm
                      Hannibal Granite

Some (less speedy) runners run the same pace for their races as they do for their training runs. Got an argument for that one?
                        Yes, these folks either are training to fast or racing to slow. I've coached a few slower (10+ min/mile people) myself and they all seem to go faster in a race, even if only a few seconds per mile, just b/c there are people around them. You may be correct that a beginning runner who is running everything at a slow/easy pace might get some value out of this piece of information, but as I said before I have not seen anyones log on here who has only one workout type, I haven't checked every single log, but I've checked a bunch so again for the vast majority it would not be a meaningful piece of information.
                        I think the most useless thing on the summary page is the weekly time and monthly time. What is that good for? I'd rather see weekly/monthly pace than weekly/monthly time.
                        There are runners who run by time not by distance. All of the people I coach I have run by time rather than by distance, especially the slower ones. I can do a rough estimate of how far they went if necessary, but especially on easy days I'm more interested that they spent 15, or 30 or 60 minutes of solid running than knowing exactly how far they went. In my experience the variation of pace is much greater for slower runners than it is for speedier ones anyway due to weather, fatigue etc. so still the average overall pace would not necessarily be a useful tool

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

A Simple request. =)
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Although I personally would not find average pace that useful, for most of the reasons stated above by others, I enough people seem to want it that it merits inclusion. Just my $0.02 worth. And yes, I have donated to the site.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The one thing that all of the Average Pace Haters
                              Haters? Really? Haters? Interesting.
                              The best log Eric could make is a customizable one.
                              I would imagine that the "best" log Eric could make is one that actually has value. But what do I know. I'm apparently a "hater". Black eye
                                What is that they say about gift horses again? Oh, and there's something about the hand that feeds you that rings a bell...