Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Which makes me realize that the first crew is at or close to a year post op!

ALMOST THERE!  However, I am taking this whole 12 months to heal with a grain of salt.  I'm starting my months from my first continuous run in August. So I have until August 2015 to keep making improvements in regards to running.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

ALMOST THERE!  However, I am taking this whole 12 months to heal with a grain of salt.  I'm starting my months from my first continuous run in August. So I have until August 2015 to keep making improvements in regards to running.

That totally makes sense to me!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I am obsessively reading your blog now. Big grin

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

How long before you guys went back to work? My doc said anywhere between 2-4 weeks as long as I felt up to it. Of course, I won't be doing my nursing stuff (home health nurse, lots of driving, standing, squatting, etc), so my boss has already told me I can do light duty in the office. I kind of don't know what to ask for when I put in for my LOA tomorrow.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I took an entire month off from work and was glad that I did.  I did a few things from home, but I mostly wasn't working.  Then I transitioned to part time for two weeks before I went back to full time.  (I have a typical sit in a chair all day office job.)  You think that sitting should be easy, but it was really difficult going from a comfy recliner back to an office chair!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I did two weeks totally off, two weeks working from home part time (20 hours), two weeks working from home part time and in the office part time (so back to 40 hours).  And at the six week mark was back in the office full time.

shu_runner

:de-lurk:  Hi. Smile

It also depends on what you had done.  My husband had surgery at the end of December, but since he also needed microfracturing (which we didn't know was a possibility until after the surgery was completed), he ended up on crutches for 7 weeks.  He just started to work from home during his eighth week post-op.  His surgeon will not clear him to be back in the office for another two weeks, and when he does go back, it will be limited on how much he can walk around the facility.  His surgeon may be a little more conservative than most, though.

Hip Redux

:de-lurk:  Hi. Smile

It also depends on what you had done.  My husband had surgery at the end of December, but since he also needed microfracturing (which we didn't know was a possibility until after the surgery was completed), he ended up on crutches for 7 weeks.  He just started to work from home during his eighth week post-op.  His surgeon will not clear him to be back in the office for another two weeks, and when he does go back, it will be limited on how much he can walk around the facility.  His surgeon may be a little more conservative than most, though.

Yep, good point!  A microfracture definitely lengthens the timelines.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I think I am going to take the full 4 weeks, my boss suggested I do that as well. I have a really awesome boss. She is also going to have me come into the office for light duty when I do come back until I can go back out and do nursing visits again.

Have I mentioned that I have an awesome boss? She really is incredible.

Shiri

Hi Everyone,

I'm really sorry for the long post, but am desperate for some input from people who are also going through this.  I had an arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum 14 months ago and have just found out that it has recurred...apparently, I have a condition called hip dysplasia that causes it.  The only solution is a really invasive surgery to reposition the joint or to stop running.......  Neither are the answer for me...  Below is my full story and history (it's long).  If anyone can offer any tips/suggestions or has gone through anything similar, I'd really love to know.  Thanks!

Here's the long story....  I was running competitively for my university 10 years ago when I first started getting the pain.  It started as a nagging in my hamstring that wouldn't go away and felt like it wanted to be stretched...then it started to affect my running, making me limp and limiting my ability to run properly and finally forcing me to stop completely.  I saw every doctor and had every test/treatment done, but nothing showed up.  Eventually a "progressive" doctor diagnosed me with high hamstring tendinopathy through diagnostic cortisone into the insertion area.  The cortisone was the first thing that had made it feel better and lasted for 1 month.  The doctor said that a rupture is easier to repair, so started me on an aggressive series of cortisone to try to rupture the tendon.  I was happy because he actually told me to run as much as I wanted to help with the rupture.  It never ruptured, so eventually he performed a tendon release surgery.  The follow up was horrible and being young and naive, I started trying to run too quickly after.  If there were any benefits from the surgery, they didn't last long.

I started getting the same pain within a year and started to see doctors again.  Still nothing showed up on any tests and I finally gave up and modified my activity.  I ignored it for 8 years and learned to run on trails and mountains, which were a lot easier than hard flat roads.  The variety of the terrain and the options to stop and walk uphill really helped and soon I was running (and winning) ultra marathons and multi day stage races.  The pain was always there, but it was tolerable during the races with a strong anti-inflammatory.  I could never train though, because of the pain, so I just ran races and hoped I wasn't doing any serious damage.

At one of the races I met someone with something similar and she suggested PRP treatment.  I went to see a doctor for this and he ordered a new set of scans first.  This time everything showed up...high hamstring tendinopathy, gluteal tendinosis, hip bursitis, ischio-femoral impingement, edema of the quadratus femoris and a labrum tear.  Ironically, most of the issues were present on both sides, despite only having pain and symptoms on one side.  The only unique thing to my injured side was the labrum tear and so the doctor focussed on this as the cause of everything.  We did a diagnostic cortisone shot into the joint and sure enough, all the pain went away.

I had arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum tear and during surgery the doctor also found and repaired a stage 2 cartilage flap and ligamentum teres.  The surgeon was sure that these were what was really causing the pain and gave me high hopes that everything was now better.  This time I was very good with the follow up and very very conservative with my return to activity.  I was on crutches for 2 months, went to intensive PT to strengthen the muscles around the joint, started running 8 months after surgery, a few minutes at a time, walk/run, very slow and conservative.  It all felt so good and I was convinced that it was going to be perfect.  Then I probably got a bit carried away, upped the running more and 12 months after surgery ran my first long race - 47km.  Soon after things went downhill.  I started getting pain while sitting again, then weakness while running.  I stopped immediately and went back to the doctor.  A new set of scans showed the same labrum tear and all the same tendinopathy and tendinosis injuries......

The doctor didn't have a good explanation, so I decided to see a new doctor.  He ordered an xray and just today, diagnosed me with hip dysplasia.  I've been reading about it and it seems to make sense and explain why the labrum tear would recur and the cartilage issues.  The bad news from everything I am reading is that there is no non-surgical cure, except to stop running and reduce all impact activities.  I desperately don't want to go through another surgery and especially, not one as invasive as the one needed for this, so I am wondering, has anyone had any similar diagnosis and positive story to tell about conservative treatment working or still being able to run with this condition?  I really can't imagine giving up running completely......as much as it hurts me, it is still such a big part of my life.

Shiri

Hi Everyone,

I'm really sorry for the long post, but am desperate for some input from people who are also going through this.  I had an arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum 14 months ago and have just found out that it has recurred...apparently, I have a condition called hip dysplasia that causes it.  The only solution is a really invasive surgery to reposition the joint or to stop running.......  Neither are the answer for me...  Below is my full story and history (it's long).  If anyone can offer any tips/suggestions or has gone through anything similar, I'd really love to know.  Thanks!

Here's the long story....  I was running competitively for my university 10 years ago when I first started getting the pain.  It started as a nagging in my hamstring that wouldn't go away and felt like it wanted to be stretched...then it started to affect my running, making me limp and limiting my ability to run properly and finally forcing me to stop completely.  I saw every doctor and had every test/treatment done, but nothing showed up.  Eventually a "progressive" doctor diagnosed me with high hamstring tendinopathy through diagnostic cortisone into the insertion area.  The cortisone was the first thing that had made it feel better and lasted for 1 month.  The doctor said that a rupture is easier to repair, so started me on an aggressive series of cortisone to try to rupture the tendon.  I was happy because he actually told me to run as much as I wanted to help with the rupture.  It never ruptured, so eventually he performed a tendon release surgery.  The follow up was horrible and being young and naive, I started trying to run too quickly after.  If there were any benefits from the surgery, they didn't last long.

I started getting the same pain within a year and started to see doctors again.  Still nothing showed up on any tests and I finally gave up and modified my activity.  I ignored it for 8 years and learned to run on trails and mountains, which were a lot easier than hard flat roads.  The variety of the terrain and the options to stop and walk uphill really helped and soon I was running (and winning) ultra marathons and multi day stage races.  The pain was always there, but it was tolerable during the races with a strong anti-inflammatory.  I could never train though, because of the pain, so I just ran races and hoped I wasn't doing any serious damage.

At one of the races I met someone with something similar and she suggested PRP treatment.  I went to see a doctor for this and he ordered a new set of scans first.  This time everything showed up...high hamstring tendinopathy, gluteal tendinosis, hip bursitis, ischio-femoral impingement, edema of the quadratus femoris and a labrum tear.  Ironically, most of the issues were present on both sides, despite only having pain and symptoms on one side.  The only unique thing to my injured side was the labrum tear and so the doctor focussed on this as the cause of everything.  We did a diagnostic cortisone shot into the joint and sure enough, all the pain went away.

I had arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum tear and during surgery the doctor also found and repaired a stage 2 cartilage flap and ligamentum teres.  The surgeon was sure that these were what was really causing the pain and gave me high hopes that everything was now better.  This time I was very good with the follow up and very very conservative with my return to activity.  I was on crutches for 2 months, went to intensive PT to strengthen the muscles around the joint, started running 8 months after surgery, a few minutes at a time, walk/run, very slow and conservative.  It all felt so good and I was convinced that it was going to be perfect.  Then I probably got a bit carried away, upped the running more and 12 months after surgery ran my first long race - 47km.  Soon after things went downhill.  I started getting pain while sitting again, then weakness while running.  I stopped immediately and went back to the doctor.  A new set of scans showed the same labrum tear and all the same tendinopathy and tendinosis injuries......

The doctor didn't have a good explanation, so I decided to see a new doctor.  He ordered an xray and just today, diagnosed me with hip dysplasia.  I've been reading about it and it seems to make sense and explain why the labrum tear would recur and the cartilage issues.  The bad news from everything I am reading is that there is no non-surgical cure, except to stop running and reduce all impact activities.  I desperately don't want to go through another surgery and especially, not one as invasive as the one needed for this, so I am wondering, has anyone had any similar diagnosis and positive story to tell about conservative treatment working or still being able to run with this condition?  I really can't imagine giving up running completely......as much as it hurts me, it is still such a big part of my life.

Hip Redux

Shiri - I'm so sorry you've gone through all that!  I don't have any experience with dysplasia, but from what I understand you really want to see someone who specializes in it, because you can also have version/angle issues.

And yeah, I don't know of any "cure" other than surgery or modifying activity.  I don't think you can physical therapy around the bone structure problems.  Sad

Have you checked out the Facebook forums linked on the first page?  There are many folks on there with dysplasia, and I think also a group just for dysplasia issues.

cpresson

I've been avidly reading the content on this thread. I saw my orthopedic doc last week about right hip pain I was having and after causing me a lot of pain doing a minor hip rotation move, he ended the exam, concluding that I probably have a labral tear. Today I go in for the MRA and I will get results on Monday. It's frustrating because I haven't yet recovered enough to be allowed to run after a lateral release, chondroplasty, and extensive synovectomy on my left knee at the end of November. If it is a tear, it sounds like surgery is my best bet to be able to run again sooner (I'm also in the military and have to pass PT tests now and then). If surgery is required, I know the recovery is even longer than it has been for my knee SadSad Just looking for hope here Smile

Hip Redux

So your knee is on the opposite side of the hip that's causing you trouble?  Ugh, that sucks.  I don't know how I could have managed without one good leg post-surgery.  Good luck on Monday!

cpresson

Yes, unfortunately. My knee should be in pretty good shape by now, but has stayed swollen. So I've had to walk one race already this year and it looks like I may be completely out for a 4-miler and half marathon I had signed up for in the next 2-4 months...